Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2020, 07:19 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
I had a similar first reaction, but more along the lines of, "okay, with the new D FA* primes available, I guess it makes sense to run them against the rest of the field".

It's also interesting that running it as a picture competition takes other considerations out of the equation, like compactness or ease of use.

I vaguely remember that incarnation, and don't remember seeing pictures.
There were no images shot with the nominated lenses, people voted by reputation more than anything else.

12-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #32
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Since its November 30th My Nomination is in, didn't have to think much about it at all. Before Y'all all chime in, I know by the rules I can't win this year but since I've been posting a bunch this month I went ahead and nominated the lens that I own that is well ahead of the two Limiteds I own as being the best.
I also didn't have to think very hard - I have nominated a lens which delivered a lovely image for me.
Now I can wait for two weeks.
12-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What about a losers bracket for underdog lenses? Lenses that simply weren't popular enough to get into the top 20 and therefor had no chance.

Like do I pick a lens and picture I think will make it through or do I pick a lens I think is truly legendary even though I know it won't?
I think something like this would be neat.
I mean, I love my 50mm f1.4, but I already have one, and if the grand prize is a $100 lens that most folks around these parts already have, that's a bit silly.
And if I go through my sentimental favorites, the same thing happens. Super-Multicoated 35mm f2.0?

Requiring the lens to be one we've owned in the past basically guarantees that the 250-600 won't be the winner... but I do think we'll still end up in the higher range of lenses.

But a consolation prize of the top-scoring underdog would be fun.
And if Adam has to buy that M28mm f2.8 that is $20 in the Marketplace to give it away, I'm sure that won't get him too bent... (btw, please someone buy it. I already have one... but it's $20...)

-Eric
12-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #34
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
... but I do think we'll still end up in the higher range of lenses.
The one I’ve nominated is wider - more like 28mm - but that is where most of my shots have been lately.

12-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #35
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think something like this would be neat.
I mean, I love my 50mm f1.4, but I already have one, and if the grand prize is a $100 lens that most folks around these parts already have, that's a bit silly.
And if I go through my sentimental favorites, the same thing happens. Super-Multicoated 35mm f2.0?

-Eric
Not necessarily.

Last month I saw entry after entry from guys I know have cameras more advanced than the K-70 Adam was giving away.
12-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
So far, we have 19 nominations, with each being for a different lens.

I think the result of this tournament might surprise us, though we will of course need a much larger sampling of photos before any decisions can be made!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Time to enter my fave I think

---------- Post added 12-02-20 at 04:31 PM ----------

Done, I have shown my favourite some love and the image has had almost no PP, it is 100% pixie dust if I was only allowed one lens for the rest of my life it would be this
12-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The one I’ve nominated is wider - more like 28mm - but that is where most of my shots have been lately.
Sorry, that wasn't clear... higher in market space, not focal length range... the 250-600 just happens to be high in focal length and market space...

But I would expect more nominations for the DFA* 70-200 f2.8 than the F70-210 f4-5.6, even thought a lot more of us probably have the latter than the former...
Though I wonder if we'll see more nominations for the 28mm f3.5, which is inexpensive yet well-regarded here, than the "Hollywood" 28mm f2.0?

Based on my low odds of winning, I'm almost as eager to see the statistics afterwards

---------- Post added 12-02-20 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think I'd rather have the 200 macro tbh.
I was tempted to submit my SMC-A 200mm f4.0 with the Raynox on it, but I figured that was a bit of a cheat

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 12-02-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: posts stacked, only need one sig...
12-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I think the result of this tournament might surprise us, though we will of course need a much larger sampling of photos before any decisions can be made!
One thing that i would like to clarify is the title. I put the name of the lens in the title bar as well as the link and the image in the message section. Is that how you want it?

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 12:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not necessarily.

Last month I saw entry after entry from guys I know have cameras more advanced than the K-70 Adam was giving away.
In a lot of cases they probably need as backup to their top gear, which is fair enoughh, if its going to get used. Sadly, some people enter competitions just so they can sell the prize, which in the case of Pentax cameras or lenses, would be a real shame, especially as there are members who would love them and use them. I would love to see entry criteria, like being a member and participating prior to the announcement but I suppose making it a closed shop doesn't encourage new people. I wonder how many of the camera winners are still active here. That's why I was delighted when aslyfox won the KP, not only is he using it but he is one of the most active and encouraging members here.

Last edited by Cerebum; 12-03-2020 at 12:13 AM.
12-03-2020, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
One thing that i would like to clarify is the title. I put the name of the lens in the title bar as well as the link and the image in the message section. Is that how you want it?
The title doesn't matter as long as there is a link in the body of the post. Ideally, the title should describe the photo or just state the name of the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #41
Pentaxian

This will be a fun tournament indeed, so thanks for organising it. Just submitted my favourite.
12-03-2020, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #42
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
In a lot of cases they probably need as backup to their top gear, which is fair enoughh, if its going to get used. Sadly, some people enter competitions just so they can sell the prize, which in the case of Pentax cameras or lenses, would be a real shame, especially as there are members who would love them and use them. I would love to see entry criteria, like being a member and participating prior to the announcement but I suppose making it a closed shop doesn't encourage new people. I wonder how many of the camera winners are still active here. That's why I was delighted when aslyfox won the KP, not only is he using it but he is one of the most active and encouraging members here.
And the winner of this K-70 is someone who currently uses a K1000 and was thinking of going Nikon! There is some justice in ‘chance’ some time.
12-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Browsing among my pictures, my favourite quickly became obvious. The choice was almost too easy. And it's not objectively the "best" lens I've ever tested, it's certainly the best photographic tool however.
12-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, submitted.
12-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #45

Hi
how many photos do you have in total ?