Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Everyone better enter now, or the winner is going to be the SMC-M 50mm f2.0.I’ve heard the nominations are tight between that and the SMC-F 35-80 f4-5.6.
I entered, not a great image. On the plus side I don't have either of these lenses.

Tim

01-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
I entered, not a great image. On the plus side I don't have either of these lenses.

Tim
I do have the 'M' 50 f/2, and it is a long way from being my best 50mm lens, let alone my best lens period.
01-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's your thoughts on the quality of the entries so fat Adam?
01-08-2021, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John in OZ Quote
What's your thoughts on the quality of the entries so fat Adam?
Please don't call Adam "fat."

I do wonder if some of the wondrous lenses from the past -- things like the FA 200 macro, or A* 135 will be well represented in this sort of a contest. Those would be lenses I would tend to vote for, having seen output from them, but they aren't the sort of lenses I have access to to use in this sort of a contest.

01-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Please don't call Adam "fat."

I do wonder if some of the wondrous lenses from the past -- things like the FA 200 macro, or A* 135 will be well represented in this sort of a contest. Those would be lenses I would tend to vote for, having seen output from them, but they aren't the sort of lenses I have access to to use in this sort of a contest.
That's part of what makes the contest so intriguing...
The most "wondrous" lenses tend to be rare, so unlikely to have many people who've actually shot with them.
Even then, how many of those FA 200 macros and A* 135s are collected and unused on shelves?

The less "wondrous" lenses have better numbers... but less special about the lenses themselves...
It may just come down to being more about how well we represent our favorite lenses... and less about the lenses... and I think that's OK...

-Eric
01-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Hands down my favourite is the 77mm f1.8 Limited. Gorgeous rendering for portraits. I have used many portrait lenses from different brands, including Leica, Nikon, Panasonic, and Canon, but I still prefer my 77mm.
01-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The most "wondrous" lenses tend to be rare, so unlikely to have many people who've actually shot with them.
I entered a shot with one of those rare lenses so there will likely be at least one. And given the number of shots I've seen in the 300+mm lens club there might be other rare ones getting entered.

01-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I entered a shot with one of those rare lenses so there will likely be at least one. And given the number of shots I've seen in the 300+mm lens club there might be other rare ones getting entered.
I was tempted to enter a shot from my SMC-A 200 f4 with a Raynox closeup lens... and maybe I did

It has the same field of view as one of the rare ones, and at web resolutions, maybe nobody could tell...

I know there are a number of folks here who use their unusual glass... I’m looking forward to that, too...

It’s win/win for me, even if I can’t win

-Eric
01-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Hands down my favourite is the 77mm f1.8 Limited. Gorgeous rendering for portraits. I have used many portrait lenses from different brands, including Leica, Nikon, Panasonic, and Canon, but I still prefer my 77mm.
This may depend on shooting habits.
I hardly ever shoot portraits, and i use "APS-C" these days, so a lens of a length like 77mm would be of limited use to me.
01-09-2021, 03:03 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing I have found on Pentax forums is "rare" lenses are quite common whilst there are a lot of people who only have basic kit, there is also quite a high concentration who collect the best lenses (e.g. the latest 85mm). That in mind, I expect quite an interesting cross section. I know we will be voting on the top twenty, but hopefully we will get to see a full list of nominations
01-09-2021, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
One thing I have found on Pentax forums is "rare" lenses are quite common whilst there are a lot of people who only have basic kit, there is also quite a high concentration who collect the best lenses (e.g. the latest 85mm). That in mind, I expect quite an interesting cross section. I know we will be voting on the top twenty, but hopefully we will get to see a full list of nominations
In one of the earlier notes, Adam said he's share the statistics and such after the contest...

-Eric
01-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This may depend on shooting habits.
I hardly ever shoot portraits, and i use "APS-C" these days, so a lens of a length like 77mm would be of limited use to me.
Did you ever shoot 100mm on 35mm film? The 77 is very similar to the Nikon 105 f2.5 when used on apsc. While great for tighter portraits it’s also just a fine short telephoto lens.
01-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you ever shoot 100mm on 35mm film? The 77 is very similar to the Nikon 105 f2.5 when used on apsc. While great for tighter portraits it’s also just a fine short telephoto lens.
I never used a 100mm prime lens on a 35mm camera.
I did use the various lengths available from a 70-200mm zoom lens, just as I now use my 77-420mm {55-300mm lens + 1.4X TC}.
01-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I never used a 100mm prime lens on a 35mm camera.
I did use the various lengths available from a 70-200mm zoom lens, just as I now use my 77-420mm {55-300mm lens + 1.4X TC}.
Well that’s would explain the dislike of the 77 on apsc. I used the Nikon 105 f2.5 on high school football for a sideline play action overview shots. I later used the Pentax M 100 on my pz-1 for a lot of things until the F 100 macro supplanted it. I’ve always had a soft spot for lenses around that focal length.
01-10-2021, 03:19 AM   #195

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With our K-70 giveaway coming to an end in less than 24 hours, it's time to kick off our December Pentax lens tournament! In addition to coming up with a new list of top lenses and crowning an overall winner, immediately following the tournament we will give away the winning lens! (the giveaway will be held as a separate event)

If you've been around for a while, you may recall the original 2014 Pentax lens tournament dominated by FA and DA Limiteds. Despite being fun, the knockout-style design of this tournament was a bit biased toward the reputation of each lens rather than the images it could produce. In the new tournament, we will address this issue by making all voting blind. We'll also give a chance to the many new lenses Pentax has launched since then.

The 2020 lens tournament will consist of 2 stages:

Stage 1 - Nominations (November 30 - January 15 December 31)

In this stage, each member can nominate one lens. You can only nominate a lens that you own (or previously owned). All Pentax-branded lenses (regardless of mount) as well as third-party lenses (K-mount only) are eligible.

Each nomination must be accompanied by one photo you've taken with that lens.

At the end of stage 1, we will tally the nominations and advance the top 20 lenses to the final round.

Stage 2 - Finalist Voting (February 2021)

For this stage, I will set up a special gallery where photos from the top 20 lenses can face off against each other. Members will vote for their favorite photo, without knowing what lens it was taken with. The lens with the most votes will be the winner!

How to submit a lens nomination - Stage 1:

Entries will be very similar to how our monthly photo contests work.
  1. Click on this link to start a new thread in the special lens tournament forum
  2. In the post text, paste a link to our lens database entry for lens you are nominating (from Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database or Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database)
    Example: SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database for the SMC DA 10-17mm fisheye
    Important - entries without a valid link will not be considered!
  3. Attach or embed one photo you've taken with the lens
  4. Submit the thread!
Feel free to use the Pentax lens search to quickly find the link for your lens.

Also, feel free to ask any questions or discuss nominations in this thread - but note that only nominations posted in the tournament forum will count!

I hope you all enjoy this tournament, and may the best lens win!
I nominated, but you moderated it
https://500px.com/p/xabolcs1