Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2021, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #256
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by exnito Quote
8400 pairing ? Insane
This will require a long weekend for me.
But I'm curious about all the summited images.
You should end up seeing all of them, on average, after around 70 votes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since this is a lens tournament, my recommendation would be to weigh the technical aspects of the photograph more heavily than the composition.
Explicitly, perhaps.
The type of a lens will affect how people use it.
01-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #258
Pentaxian

You should end up seeing all of them, on average, after around 70 votes.
The server seems to have become bored before I did.
It apparently stopped responding when the count was 81nm, so I figured that was enough.
01-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #259
Pentaxian

I've finished the voting page a little early! The official announcement isn't going out yet, but feel free to test it out and cast your votes now.

There are 8400 possible photo combinations, so definitely don't feel obligated to vote for all of them. A handful of votes from each member should be more than enough. Or, feel free to stop by the page when you're feeling bored!

At the end of the voting period, the lens that wins the highest percentage of pairings will be crowned the champion. We'll also announce the runners-up based on this metric.

Lens Tournament Finalist Voting - PentaxForums.com

Since this is a lens tournament, my recommendation would be to weigh the technical aspects of the photograph more heavily than the composition.
So many highly processed photos, makes determining the merits of the lens difficult.

01-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It looks like I have acquired three of the top 20. How many others here never sell a lens? (maybe an interesting survey) I keep passing them down when I get a better version or letting family borrow my less than prized lenses.

Thank you Adam, this has to be a huge undertaking to manage.
01-18-2021, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
So many highly processed photos, makes determining the merits of the lens difficult.
Yup, also the small size of the photos.
01-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yup, also the small size of the photos.
Isn't there a link to a larger version?
I didn't use it because I was more interested in things like bokeh than in seeing details for myself.

01-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Isn't there a link to a larger version?
Yes, but the several times I clicked on that link I was treated to the same size photo. Which, of course, is understandable, since most of us post forum-appropriate sized photos.
01-18-2021, 10:11 PM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When this was just announced, did think of suggesting to perhaps swt up two groups, between film images and digital images.

But guess won't be that much different cuz film images could also be scanned and then become highly processed, unless person snapping that film image isnt into further processing whatever comes back from the lab.

(The image i submitted, is a film image. Unfortunately, that lens did not get thru to second round).
01-18-2021, 10:44 PM   #265
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've finished the voting page a little early! The official announcement isn't going out yet, but feel free to test it out and cast your votes now.

There are 8400 possible photo combinations, so definitely don't feel obligated to vote for all of them. A handful of votes from each member should be more than enough. Or, feel free to stop by the page when you're feeling bored!

At the end of the voting period, the lens that wins the highest percentage of pairings will be crowned the champion. We'll also announce the runners-up based on this metric.

Lens Tournament Finalist Voting - PentaxForums.com

Noooooo! This is way too addictive! joking aside, well done for organising this tournament. That has to be a lot of work to get all of this right and sorted. BTW: the page works very nicely.
01-19-2021, 12:40 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After all the processing we are voting for the picture we like more, not lens who works better. But still this is fun
01-19-2021, 02:25 AM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That, plus another thing... I saw several pairings with a landscape vs a portrait or so.Hard to say which lens is better. I mean, if the landscape is shot at f/8 and it looks gorgeous because of composition and light, it will be one of those "any kit zoom lens would have worked" photos. Everything in focus yadda yadda.
01-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was looking at sharpness, dof, flare handling, contrast, saturation etc. so the subject for me was irrelevant. I have seen loads of repetition but am judging each on merit. Its gonna take a while
01-19-2021, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I was looking at sharpness, dof, flare handling, contrast, saturation etc. so the subject for me was irrelevant. I have seen loads of repetition but am judging each on merit. Its gonna take a while
Sharpness at this resolution is merely a product of post-processing - basically any lens will produce sharp results when looking that 1MP. Flare handling can indeed be seen, contrast & saturation again depend a lot on the post-processing workflow. What we can hope for is that statistically, good lenses 'shine through' anyway - if only because capable photographers prefer to use them.
01-19-2021, 03:44 AM   #270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, next time maybe it will be better to ask for RAW and then for voting post developed JPGs in full resolution without any tampering? Maybe not all, but some that are properly exposed (not over/under) and are representative for lens quality? 2, 3 images per lens and that's it. Would give those who are voting a view on actual lens performance, not how good in post was author?