Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Pentax knows they're a little like a soda machine at a ski resort. You may not like the conditions ($5 for a Coke?!?) but it's really hard to take off the boots and the ski clothes and go all the way out, off resort to the 7-11 to save $4 on a Coke.

When you have a big pile of Pentax lenses and stuff you'll probably wait a few more weeks.
The makers have trained us to purchase new gear every few years.
For people who have money to throw at manufacturers, that is fine for them.
When I spent $700 for a KP two plus years ago, I assumed I would use it for the rest of my years {of course, I implicitly had the same thought when I got film Canon EOS "Elan" in 1995}.
I don't understand this "throw away" society.

02-09-2021, 02:20 PM - 4 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The makers have trained us to purchase new gear every few years.
For people who have money to throw at manufacturers, that is fine for them.
When I spent $700 for a KP two plus years ago, I assumed I would use it for the rest of my years {of course, I implicitly had the same thought when I got film Canon EOS "Elan" in 1995}.
I don't understand this "throw away" society.
Manufacturers want to stay in business and turn a profit. They provide hundreds or thousands of jobs to people. If all the camera companies set a hard-and-fast rule of just selling everyone a $700 camera once every decade or two there would be a lot fewer camera companies. Maybe none at all.
02-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If all the camera companies set a hard-and-fast rule of just selling everyone a $700 camera once every decade or two there would be a lot fewer camera companies. Maybe none at all.
With everything you know about the world. Do you think that would be good or bad for humanity and the planet?
02-09-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
With everything you know about the world. Do you think that would be good or bad for humanity and the planet?
It would be a tiny bit better for utilization of scarce resources and worse for the incomes of the people who build cameras.

02-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #65
Pentaxian

It would be a tiny bit better for utilization of scarce resources and worse for the incomes of the people who build cameras.
When I was in High School, a company called “Studebaker” stopped making cars here. During my High School days, most work that normally went to boys like me went to middle-aged men supporting families. In recent years the so-called “Studebaker Corridor” {the several block by mile long block where they used to make cars} has been leveled, and become an ‘industrial park’ - many occupants are government entities - such as the Probate Court and the Bus Garage - but it also has ‘spec buildings’ that house new industries. Yes, the population is down a little, but new industries have moved in. We will cope - because we need to.
02-10-2021, 12:35 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Only humans can make that judgment, and humanity is rarely, if ever, of a single mind, but individuals will always aspire to satisfy their needs and curiosities. We get better at imagining the consequences of our actions as knowledge accumulates, but it isn’t going to stop us turning bits of the planet into things we find useful or make us happy.

As far as camera makers are concerned, digital cameras have been a mixed blessing for us. Once, it was possible to say that photography could show us the world as it is. Now, digital imaging has the capacity to show us a world that can be highly manipulated, to suit any purpose. Good for artists, not good for truth.

Returning to the topic of this thread, it’s only a bit over two weeks to the (virtual) opening of CP+. There have been no new K-3iii development stories since 22 January, so I’m guessing we’ve seen the last of those until the formal launch of the camera, but are we sure that launch will be at or before CP+?
02-10-2021, 02:02 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Only humans can make that judgment, and humanity is rarely, if ever, of a single mind, but individuals will always aspire to satisfy their needs and curiosities. We get better at imagining the consequences of our actions as knowledge accumulates, but it isn’t going to stop us turning bits of the planet into things we find useful or make us happy.

As far as camera makers are concerned, digital cameras have been a mixed blessing for us. Once, it was possible to say that photography could show us the world as it is. Now, digital imaging has the capacity to show us a world that can be highly manipulated, to suit any purpose. Good for artists, not good for truth.

Returning to the topic of this thread, it’s only a bit over two weeks to the (virtual) opening of CP+. There have been no new K-3iii development stories since 22 January, so I’m guessing we’ve seen the last of those until the formal launch of the camera, but are we sure that launch will be at or before CP+?

According to good marketing criteria, I think so. In fact, I would expect to hear about the announced lenses as well. It would be an opportune signal of continuity in my opinion.

02-10-2021, 05:23 AM - 4 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
They had better announce it at CP+! If they don't, we're all going to band together and start posting some mildly unpleasant things on the internet. That'll make them think twice about crossing us again.
02-10-2021, 05:43 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Would be really nice if Ricoh would take back our old cameras , exchanged with upgraded new model + some nice goodies in the box such as a strap or lens cleaning cloth or sensor cleaning kit, and recycle used cameras/lenses in a nice way.
02-10-2021, 11:47 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Would be really nice if Ricoh would take back our old cameras , exchanged with upgraded new model + some nice goodies in the box such as a strap or lens cleaning cloth or sensor cleaning kit, and recycle used cameras/lenses in a nice way.
Not for me - I use the "old" stuff as long as it is usable, even if I have something newer as well.
02-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Or if they occasionally offered us an upgrade to our cameras when they make a small hardware change.... oh, wait

-Eric
02-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not for me - I use the "old" stuff as long as it is usable, even if I have something newer as well.
They'd take back you old camera after it stopped working.
02-11-2021, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #73
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
They'd take back you old camera after it stopped working.
Better than taking it back after your body stopped working
02-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Event starting next week.
Assumption the announcements will take place on next thursday ?
02-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Event starting next week.
Assumption the announcements will take place on next thursday ?
I know this is far from a usual year, but don't announcements usually proceed the start of CP+?