Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #91
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
The K-1 / KP / K-1 II was a one year thing each time, but then things have slowed down. Yes, you are undoubtedly right: they do not want to steal the thunder of the new camera by announcing further pipeline projects. But even then.

Given the quality of the K-3 III, I might not need FF but I'm used to that format, and my current lenses are best suited to it. The DA 11-18 appears to be incredible, but it's also a length I don't use that often to justify its purchase. The DA 16-50 would be better and necessary for APS-C.

In the case of FF, I would only really need the DFA 21mm (I have the M 20mm but expect the new lens to be that much better). The only reason I didn't get the K-1 I or II was the viewfinder. When it's improved, I expect the K-1 III to be absolutely irresistible. But I do happen to spend a year abroad now, so I really like to have a camera now and 2nd hand prices for the K-1 are not low enough. For the time being, I'll use my Rollei TLR and film, and when shops reopen and the Pentax lands on the shelves I'll have a good look at it. I'm not even ruling out buying a 2nd hand KP as I really liked it when I saw it in NY. But I'm not ruling out the Z6 either. Or a Panasonic, to remain rebellious

(Given the quality of the K-3 III), shouldn't we wait until the camera is out before calling it amazing and have it reviewed by people who don't have a financial interest in the camera?

03-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I'm not concerned with the size of the K-1. I actually made a (fun) comparison of the K-1 between the Z7 and D850 - it's almost exactly in between every which way. Which shows that the K-1 is incredibly compact for what if offers. Of course, it is no lightweight, but I can live with that (compared to my Rollei 6008 it really is lightweight) and I don't need the battery grip. I had too much fun with film until recently. I tried to convince myself that I can wait until the end of 2022. Maybe I can - I'll be working most of the time anyway. And taking my Rolleiflex 2.8 TLR out remains a great deal of fun.

It was interesting to hear someone commenting on the interviews that the majority of submissions to Nippon Camera are film (kwb in this thread:
Tanaka san - Wakashiro san online seminar about K-3 III (CP+ 2021) - PentaxForums.com ) I understand that they did not dwell on this, but it is surprising.
it is something nice tha film stuff. i have been thinking of getting for my self a working film camera again...but Digital is just so much more convinient.

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 23:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
(Given the quality of the K-3 III), shouldn't we wait until the camera is out before calling it amazing and have it reviewed by people who don't have a financial interest in the camera?
It still can be amazing. You can be amazing! And yes. We will wait how it will actually fare in testing and then we will say how amazing it is.
03-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
Strictly speaking, yes; my comment, however, reflects my personal background. I tried the APS-C Ricoh GR III and was amazed by its quality, compared to super-scans of 6x6 negatives (not Epson but Screen Cezanne, quite the difference). I realised that APS-C delivers in spades. I watched a somewhat superficial but still convincing comparison of 1 meter prints between m4/3 and FF which confirmed the potential of smaller sensor types (notwithstanding differences I shall not spell out here but quote as the small print for those that like to go to war: DoF for example). see Full Frame vs. Micro Four Thirds: Do You Really Need the Extra Megapixels? | Fstoppers

From my perspective, I'm pretty sure that the new camera delivers. It just doesn't fit my lenses that well (Hollywood 28mm, limited 43mm, Voigtlander 58mm, M 85mm, Tamron 90mm, apart from a few other lenses I don't use that often) and I might prefer a slightly larger body to hold on to. If the 15mm and 21mm were slightly more viable choices, I'd still be interested. That's it. A very personal situation. If I could justify buying this one now and the K-1 III later, I'd go for it, but I can't. That's why I'm still on film (I returned the Ricoh GR III, too small for me, again just personal).
03-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #94
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
If there is one thing that I have never understood it is why PENTAX makes so much informations and marketing activities (web, social, video, etc..) ONLY in Japanese language. It seems they don't want to let anyone know about them outside of Japan.
It's been a mostly domestic brand for years, Andrea.

The cost of waging war with the big brands for international marketshare when the camera and lens market is collapsing worldwide is simply not worth it.

If we 'gaijin' happen to enjoy their products too, more power to us, but there are other brands if 'running with the herd' is someone's idea about how to live their lives.

03-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #95

At present, Ricoh does not havel project abount fullframe, and the new 645 camera was suspended. The next camera should be successor of K-70.
03-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lemono Quote
At present, Ricoh does not havel project abount fullframe, and the new 645 camera was suspended. The next camera should be successor of K-70.
I think you are incorrect about this.
03-04-2021, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I think you are incorrect about this.
When the k3III goes on sale, Ricoh will not get the full frame sensor. Unless Ricoh deliberately shut down for a while to wait for a new sensor, the new full frame camera will appear later than the successor of K-70. And new 645 camera of originally scheduled for release this year, has actually been discontinued. The impact of gfx100s on Ricoh is too big. Ricoh has to readjust their plan.
Of course, it is also possible that the successors of K-70 and K-1 will develop at the same time and release them in diferrent time.(K-70 and K-1 were release in the same year)

03-04-2021, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

When the k3III goes on sale, Ricoh will not get the full frame sensor. Unless Ricoh deliberately shut down for a while to wait for a new sensor, the new full frame camera will appear later than the successor of K-70. And new 645 camera of originally scheduled for release this year, has actually been discontinued. The impact of gfx100s on Ricoh is too big. Ricoh has to readjust their plan.
Of course, it is also possible that the successors of K-70 and K-1 will develop at the same time and release them in diferrent time.(K-70 and K-1 were release in the same year)
Where did you get this news these rumors from???
03-04-2021, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Where did you get this news these rumors from???
From friend in Ricoh and Sony.Ricoh will get fullframe sensor after exclusivity period of Sigma.It comes from Sony.
03-04-2021, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are several rather big calls in all that. What the supply of the K-3iii has to do with Ricoh’s full-frame sensor purchase is not at all clear, unless you’re referring to a 35mm version of the BSI APS-C sensor in the K-3iii.

What was the “new 645 camera”? A full-frame 645 version? A higher-resolution version of the current sensor? A 645 with improved metering or AF? Speaking with an implied authority on these matters requires more detail to even begin to be considered credible.
03-04-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There are several rather big calls in all that. What the supply of the K-3iii has to do with Ricoh’s full-frame sensor purchase is not at all clear, unless you’re referring to a 35mm version of the BSI APS-C sensor in the K-3iii.

What was the “new 645 camera”? A full-frame 645 version? A higher-resolution version of the current sensor? A 645 with improved metering or AF? Speaking with an implied authority on these matters requires more detail to even begin to be considered credible.
K3III used IMX571.

The K3III's system is completely different from the system of previous Pentax cameras (developed from the GR3 system), so the development work of K-1 and K-70 successors is arranged after the launch of K3III. Another reason that K-1 successor can only start research and development after the K3III is that Ricoh has not been able to get a new full frame sensor.

The new 645 meas...645Z successor that has same sensor with gfx100s.
03-04-2021, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

K3III used IMX571.

The K3III's system is completely different from the system of previous Pentax cameras (developed from the GR3 system), so the development work of K-1 and K-70 successors is arranged after the launch of K3III. Another reason that K-1 successor can only start research and development after the K3III is that Ricoh has not been able to get a new full frame sensor.
These are not facts - they are logical conclusions, but they are not facts.
Ricoh could easily have several teams working on the beginnings of several cameras - which a finishing team will take the last few inches in the next few months after they are freed from the K-3iii project.
03-04-2021, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
These are not facts - they are logical conclusions, but they are not facts.
Ricoh could easily have several teams working on the beginnings of several cameras - which a finishing team will take the last few inches in the next few months after they are freed from the K-3iii project.
Yes, these are logical, but not realistic.
The reality is that PENTAX has no new camera project in progress. Everything is still under planning.Ricoh already owns the IMX461 and has signed a contract to purchase a new full frame sensor. These are also facts.
My information about camera came from January 2021, and abount sensor came from two weeks ago.The provider is employee of Sony and a photographer close to Ricoh.

Last edited by lemono; 03-04-2021 at 08:17 PM.
03-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #104
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lemono - What about the things you mentioned a couple of weeks ago about GR40, GR Monochrome and lenses?

---------- Post added 03-05-21 at 12:11 PM ----------

Also, have you heard anything about O-GPS2?
03-04-2021, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Lemono - What about the things you mentioned a couple of weeks ago about GR40, GR Monochrome and lenses?
GR monochrome will be released this year, and gr40 will be released as soon as the end of this year. Last month I got the information that gr40 will use a brand new APSC sensor, yes, BRAND NEW! But I forgot to verify this information I got from Ricoh with Sony employees.
I didn't get any information about o-gps2.Is there any message that it exists? I can try to ask about it.