Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2021, 12:02 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I know this is far from a usual year, but don't announcements usually proceed the start of CP+?
The Ricoh session on the K-3III is planned for February 28th.

02-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There’s a ‘New Products/Reference Listings’ session noted for 25 February. With no detail, it could be anything from a refreshing of the lens roadmap to a 645Z replacement announcement. Perhaps a new series of tutorials.

We’ll soon know.
02-27-2021, 04:41 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Additional content will be published on this dedicated website:
CP+2021 Special Site | RICOH IMAGING (????????? CP+2021 Special Site | RICOH IMAGING)
Added contents:
K-3 Mark III | CP+2021 Special Site | RICOH IMAGING
??? / ???? | CP+2021 Special Site | RICOH IMAGING
02-27-2021, 11:46 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it looks like there’s no more new products to be revealed, although there’s still a little time for a “One more thing” announcement, but I wouldn’t bet much on it.

The HD versions of the three FA Limiteds are good to hear about, nonetheless. I imagine that the major impetus for this was that stocks of the previous SMC versions were simply running down, and the coatings line has probably shifted to all HD now. All that remained was to amend the lens and box nomenclature, although it seems that there was a little tweaking of the aperture blade shapes in at least one of the range.

It was also good to have the new DA*16-50/2.8 included, although we’ve known about this lens for a while now. The absence of anything on the DFA21 is a little concerning, but probably just means there’s a bit more development going on.

The J-versions of the K-1ii mostly don’t do anything for me (or many others, from what I read), although I don’t mind the grip attachment.

So, overall, CP+2021 hasn’t been the most interesting event, but at least Ricoh is hanging in there with a slowly-developing range.

02-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The absence of anything on the DFA21 is a little concerning, but probably just means there’s a bit more development going on.
Yes, that is a notable absence, because we had heard about this lens previously and I was excited about it.
The absence of FF or 645 development is notable too, but any new development of these models had not been indicated by Ricoh previously, so that was to be expected.

This also means, probably, that the pace remains slow. The most up to date (Pentax) 645 camera is now 7 years old. The FF camera is basically 5 years old, with a 3 year old update.
I didn't buy into these cameras then, sometimes just, but just enough. I guess I'll be renting a few options in the next year to see what suits me best, which will include the K-3 III if I can even rent it over here. I'm no longer optimistic about a much hoped for K-1 III appearing in 2022.
I did buy a Ricoh GR III recently - but ultimately didn't bond with it. That's just personal, as it's a fantastic camera with incredible results, but too small for me.
03-01-2021, 12:07 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Yes, that is a notable absence, because we had heard about this lens previously and I was excited about it.
The absence of FF or 645 development is notable too, but any new development of these models had not been indicated by Ricoh previously, so that was to be expected.

This also means, probably, that the pace remains slow. The most up to date (Pentax) 645 camera is now 7 years old. The FF camera is basically 5 years old, with a 3 year old update.
I didn't buy into these cameras then, sometimes just, but just enough. I guess I'll be renting a few options in the next year to see what suits me best, which will include the K-3 III if I can even rent it over here. I'm no longer optimistic about a much hoped for K-1 III appearing in 2022.
I did buy a Ricoh GR III recently - but ultimately didn't bond with it. That's just personal, as it's a fantastic camera with incredible results, but too small for me.
While all of this is true, and we know that Ricoh/Pentax really did put most of the effort in to K3III. I’d not say that there is no K-1 and 645 significant update coming and it could come quite quickly compared to K3III which has been the biggest effort so far. It really is new model. And as we have seen so far from cp+ interviews they have faced big challenges. But they did learn how to manage them so that would make changes to other models more easy.

Other thing is that they did really want to get maximum attention to new K3III and where things are now moving(16-50plm). Giving K-1 successor and 645 or hint of them now would turn attention to there. We all have seen how quickly 645 Z did get innards from K-3. Same will happen soon. No doubt. I’d say that we will see prototypes in one year. And by end of 2022 we have successors to FF and perhaps prototype of 645?
03-01-2021, 01:25 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
While all of this is true, and we know that Ricoh/Pentax really did put most of the effort in to K3III. I’d not say that there is no K-1 and 645 significant update coming and it could come quite quickly compared to K3III which has been the biggest effort so far. It really is new model. And as we have seen so far from cp+ interviews they have faced big challenges. But they did learn how to manage them so that would make changes to other models more easy.

Other thing is that they did really want to get maximum attention to new K3III and where things are now moving(16-50plm). Giving K-1 successor and 645 or hint of them now would turn attention to there. We all have seen how quickly 645 Z did get innards from K-3. Same will happen soon. No doubt. I’d say that we will see prototypes in one year. And by end of 2022 we have successors to FF and perhaps prototype of 645?
Applying at least some of the K-3iii improvements to the 645Z would most likely not distract attention from the K-3iii launch and initial sales. The inclusion of a new pentaprism and AF system alone would be sufficient to breathe new life into the 645Z, but as I understand it the major issue for the line is the need to obtain a new sensor. The possibilities there have been canvassed elsewhere, so there's no need to repeat them in this thread. There are people waiting for the technologies in the K-3iii to be translated into the K-1ii successor, so it's possible that such a move too early would compromise sales of the K-3iii. Then again, I'm not Ricoh's management, so anything could happen there.

03-01-2021, 01:47 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

such a move too early
realistically, that's probably not the greatest danger
03-01-2021, 01:57 AM   #84
Pentaxian

The K-1 / KP / K-1 II was a one year thing each time, but then things have slowed down. Yes, you are undoubtedly right: they do not want to steal the thunder of the new camera by announcing further pipeline projects. But even then.

Given the quality of the K-3 III, I might not need FF but I'm used to that format, and my current lenses are best suited to it. The DA 11-18 appears to be incredible, but it's also a length I don't use that often to justify its purchase. The DA 16-50 would be better and necessary for APS-C.

In the case of FF, I would only really need the DFA 21mm (I have the M 20mm but expect the new lens to be that much better). The only reason I didn't get the K-1 I or II was the viewfinder. When it's improved, I expect the K-1 III to be absolutely irresistible. But I do happen to spend a year abroad now, so I really like to have a camera now and 2nd hand prices for the K-1 are not low enough. For the time being, I'll use my Rollei TLR and film, and when shops reopen and the Pentax lands on the shelves I'll have a good look at it. I'm not even ruling out buying a 2nd hand KP as I really liked it when I saw it in NY. But I'm not ruling out the Z6 either. Or a Panasonic, to remain rebellious
03-01-2021, 02:15 AM   #85
Pentaxian

If there is one thing that I have never understood it is why PENTAX makes so much informations and marketing activities (web, social, video, etc..) ONLY in Japanese language. It seems they don't want to let anyone know about them outside of Japan.
03-01-2021, 02:17 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
The K-1 / KP / K-1 II was a one year thing each time, but then things have slowed down. Yes, you are undoubtedly right: they do not want to steal the thunder of the new camera by announcing further pipeline projects. But even then.

Given the quality of the K-3 III, I might not need FF but I'm used to that format, and my current lenses are best suited to it. The DA 11-18 appears to be incredible, but it's also a length I don't use that often to justify its purchase. The DA 16-50 would be better and necessary for APS-C.

In the case of FF, I would only really need the DFA 21mm (I have the M 20mm but expect the new lens to be that much better). The only reason I didn't get the K-1 I or II was the viewfinder. When it's improved, I expect the K-1 III to be absolutely irresistible. But I do happen to spend a year abroad now, so I really like to have a camera now and 2nd hand prices for the K-1 are not low enough. For the time being, I'll use my Rollei TLR and film, and when shops reopen and the Pentax lands on the shelves I'll have a good look at it. I'm not even ruling out buying a 2nd hand KP as I really liked it when I saw it in NY. But I'm not ruling out the Z6 either. Or a Panasonic, to remain rebellious
I see. It is not reasonable to rule out anything, if those things you mentioned are the things that are driving you forward. For me, I’d like to update my K-1 with something that this new K-3III is having. And I’m quite a bit leaning to have K-3III too to get great functionality and that crop factor +smaller size too for the things where I don’t need things offered with FF.

And that DFA 21 is high on my list too. Good thing for me is that I can wait as I also have to because COVID took my savings... and I’m happy to give this atleast one year as I’m set in many ways. But this is where I’m coming from. I’m very happy about OVF with my K-1 and that was one of biggest reasons to get K-1 on top of the fact that it was also something new at the time and FF sounded good too.

I can understand that if you have waited for so long, it would be nice to have something now. Waiting is good, but that is propably the funniest thing to do all the time..

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 11:29 ----------

Applying at least some of the K-3iii improvements to the 645Z would most likely not distract attention from the K-3iii launch and initial sales. The inclusion of a new pentaprism and AF system alone would be sufficient to breathe new life into the 645Z, but as I understand it the major issue for the line is the need to obtain a new sensor. The possibilities there have been canvassed elsewhere, so there's no need to repeat them in this thread. There are people waiting for the technologies in the K-3iii to be translated into the K-1ii successor, so it's possible that such a move too early would compromise sales of the K-3iii. Then again, I'm not Ricoh's management, so anything could happen there.
I think that they might have had to think where market is going and also make up their mind about it. They are not msmall things as you need to look to the future. And have to stand behind that decision. Seems that this is where they are heading. Cameras with mirror, but with more and more innovations like higher resolution RGB sensor to get those things tipping the scale for EVF cameras, like eye focus.

What OoKu said couple of months ago (still rumour) was that there is 645 back on the drawing board. Yes, because Ricoh did not bring any of that up at here it will remain as a rumour(this case I can say it is a rumour). But I think that they wanted to bring K3III and DA*16-50PLM together as only real thing to all of us have a look. This is what we can do now. Old DSLR tech updated and competitive as well as very high speed lenses(af).

They must have had more things in their sleeves, like that DFA 21 limited, but for some reason they decided to give 2 biggest and most ready products for people to have a look at. I say that 3 months after K-3III has been out there will be a big splash of info. This is just a hunch based on small crumbs of info I’v gathered from Pentax forums. And many has seen it too.
03-01-2021, 02:34 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
If there is one thing that I have never understood it is why PENTAX makes so much informations and marketing activities (web, social, video, etc..) ONLY in Japanese language
I've thought about that recently as well - the English language version of the website is fine, but we do have to rely on a few Japanese speakers here for a lot of other information - and it's particularly strange as Ricoh's sales more generally are not at all Japan-centered- and they wouldn't be the size they are today if they were!
03-01-2021, 02:52 AM   #88
Pentaxian

There are people waiting for the technologies in the K-3iii to be translated into the K-1ii successor, so it's possible that such a move too early would compromise sales of the K-3iii.
If the technologies of the K-3iii are what they are claimed to be, a K-1iii will be one amazing camera. I would be surprised if it's not already in development, but I think you're right that they may recon that a too early announcement might steal some of the spotlight from the K-3iii. When a new FF model is announced, the release date will probably won't be too far away.
03-01-2021, 04:00 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Yep, just imagine the same technologies (also better OVF and with SR and GPS) but in three formats: APS-C, FF, full 645.... I'm dreaming

Last edited by Andrea K; 03-01-2021 at 09:20 AM.
03-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #90
Pentaxian

And I’m quite a bit leaning to have K-3III too to get great functionality and that crop factor +smaller size too for the things where I don’t need things offered with FF.
I'm not concerned with the size of the K-1. I actually made a (fun) comparison of the K-1 between the Z7 and D850 - it's almost exactly in between every which way. Which shows that the K-1 is incredibly compact for what if offers. Of course, it is no lightweight, but I can live with that (compared to my Rollei 6008 it really is lightweight) and I don't need the battery grip. I had too much fun with film until recently. I tried to convince myself that I can wait until the end of 2022. Maybe I can - I'll be working most of the time anyway. And taking my Rolleiflex 2.8 TLR out remains a great deal of fun.

It was interesting to hear someone commenting on the interviews that the majority of submissions to Nippon Camera are film (kwb in this thread:
Tanaka san - Wakashiro san online seminar about K-3 III (CP+ 2021) - PentaxForums.com ) I understand that they did not dwell on this, but it is surprising.