Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
That would be a very short sighted approach for what in effect will be brand new MF system. You need a new lens series for the shorter flange distance. The old mechanical protocols will be completely pointless for a new system. And since there will be no older lenses that could be used without a adapter anyway there's little sense of using the old mount.
My point is they do not need a shorter flange distance.
Flange distance is not chained to format like framing and perspective are chained together for prime lenses.
They can use a smaller flange distance, thereby gaining a smaller body and often larger lenses.
The point to using the same flange distance by Pentax is that right now there is a limit to their ability to develop new lenses, and they seem to be at that limit already.

Looking at Pentax's development of K-mount lenses over the last few years, developing even more lenses would be a problem, and I don't see any benefit of requiring that purchasers use an adapter with every lens.

You continue to make your point over and over again, but it really is immaterial.
I have made my point, and will stick to it.

Last edited by reh321; 03-07-2021 at 07:04 AM.
03-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My point is they do not need a shorter flange distance..
Isn't that the argument for mirrorless? Smaller size. Smaller flange distance that can yield smaller wide angle lenses. The bump of the prism isn't going to make or break it size wise. Just as well stick to DSLR if are going to keep the mount and flange distance.
03-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #183
Pentaxian

It is possible to make a FF DSLR smaller than the K-1. Besides if small size were a very strong selling factor, Nikon and Canon would have been out of business long time ago and everyone would have switched to Pentax and Olympus 40+ years ago.
With large lenses a camera can be to small. It seems that the k-1 is about right but the mirrorbox and prism don't help with the ergonomics. The R5 is about as long as the k-1 and so is the gfx 100s. The 645 is a lot bigger than this "ideal" size.

This means the gfx competes with FF for portability and 645 for IQ. Those looking for exceptional speed should obviously look elsewhere.
03-07-2021, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MILC does not require a new mount. It simply allows a new mount, because a shorter flange distance allows the camera to be even smaller.

Pentax could use a different mount if they went MILC, but they could always use the same mount if they chose - they would simply have slightly larger cameras {and smaller lenses for certain focal lengths}.
It would be their choice which way to go.
While you are technically correct, a mirrorless system could use a existing DSLR mount, the experience of the real world is that no one thinks this is a good idea. As far as I know the K-01 is the only mirrorless camera produced with a DSLR mount and flange distance, and it was short-lived and commercially unsuccessful. I would think that if this was a good idea someone, somewhere in the last decade+ would have made a successful mirrorless camera with a DSLR mount.

There are cases where all the companies in a field were completely wrong about a basic technology for years, but the simplest explanation here is that no camera company sees the business case or advantages of mirrorless with a permanent adapter.

03-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't that the argument for mirrorless? Smaller size.
Originally that seemed to be the main argument, and it still is one. But MILC zealots quickly found out that the lenses didn't get smaller, and so much of the size argument became irrelevant. And in fact we know that there is such a thing as too small. MILC cameras have some other advantages, though, that especially seem to help with video, and a good EVF can very much aid in low light (although one that's not so great is a problem). So here I agree that Pentax could do a MILC camera w/o changing the mount at all----and they could trim a little size off the camera if they wished, just not depth, and possibly some weight.
03-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
While you are technically correct, a mirrorless system could use a existing DSLR mount, the experience of the real world is that no one thinks this is a good idea.
Shareholders don't think it's a good idea, but customers having to buy new lenses for adapterless convenience may well beg to differ!
03-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Shareholders don't think it's a good idea, but customers having to buy new lenses for adapterless convenience may well beg to differ!
The customers might actually prefer simpler, better and less expensive wide angle lenses.

Once the reason for that long register distance disappears, so should the long register distance.
OTOH, the next 645 might still be a DSLR, or maybe a hybrid.

03-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Isn't that the argument for mirrorless? Smaller size. Smaller flange distance that can yield smaller wide angle lenses.
Size is a strawman.
Yes, wide-angle lenses can be made smaller, but telephoto lenses are longer.
The real advantages are in mechanical simplicity and in what can be added to the {electronic} viewfinder.
Pentax seems to be adding to the viewfinder.
03-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
While you are technically correct, a mirrorless system could use a existing DSLR mount, the experience of the real world is that no one thinks this is a good idea. As far as I know the K-01 is the only mirrorless camera produced with a DSLR mount and flange distance, and it was short-lived and commercially unsuccessful.
When I joined here, I was a Canon DSLR user exploring options.
Canon had an EOS-M camera, but it too was LCD only, much to the disappointment of non-Oriental Canon users.
I considered the K-01, but using a Q-7 convinced me i would be unhappy with that arrangement.
There has been a lot of discussion in 'mirrorless' section here about the "failure" of the K-01.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/399746-k-01-why-did-not-suceed.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/147-pentax-mirrorless-cameras/408705-ric...visit-k01.html
Various reasons have been proposed - I remain convinced that lack of an EVF was a major shortcoming.

Last edited by reh321; 03-07-2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: K-01 discussions
03-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #190
Pentaxian

There has been a lot of discussion in 'mirrorless' section here about the "failure" of the K-01.
Ricoh should revisit K01 - PentaxForums.com
Various reasons have been proposed - I remain convinced that lack of an EVF was a major shortcoming.
The K-01 was lacking an EVF in a time where most mirrorless were lacking an EVF.
03-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-01 was lacking an EVF in a time where most mirrorless were lacking an EVF.
and MILC's in general did not succeed.
Sony's first success was the A6000, which came about the time I joined here, and it did have an EVF, for example.
Canon's EOS-M2 was an Orient-only model - they started seeing general success only after they added an EVF to later M-line models.
03-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Originally that seemed to be the main argument, and it still is one. But MILC zealots quickly found out that the lenses didn't get smaller, and so much of the size argument became irrelevant. And in fact we know that there is such a thing as too small. MILC cameras have some other advantages, though, that especially seem to help with video, and a good EVF can very much aid in low light (although one that's not so great is a problem). So here I agree that Pentax could do a MILC camera w/o changing the mount at all----and they could trim a little size off the camera if they wished, just not depth, and possibly some weight.
Well, who would be waiting for a Pentax branded MF or FF video camera?
03-07-2021, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #193
Pentaxian

K-01 - why did it not suceed? - PentaxForums.com
Ricoh should revisit K01 - PentaxForums.com
Good word.

@Admin:
Since the discussion is far away from the thread title and CP+ is over, should there be a rest/close?
03-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lemono Quote
DFA21 have some minor problems, but I can not get more details about "problems", although I repeated inquiries.The confidentiality of dfa21 is much higher than I expected.
Pentax used to be pretty a pretty tight ship. Recently it seems, perhaps I'm wrong, that they leak/communicate a little bit more. Perhaps this is a necessity when products are relatively far apart, just to let people know they are working away.

I'd love to know about the DFA21 problems. It would reveal something about their ambitions with the lens.
03-07-2021, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Pentax used to be pretty a pretty tight ship. Recently it seems, perhaps I'm wrong, that they leak/communicate a little bit more. Perhaps this is a necessity when products are relatively far apart, just to let people know they are working away.

I'd love to know about the DFA21 problems. It would reveal something about their ambitions with the lens.

Actually, I think they are now tighter than ever....