Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2021, 11:56 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I'm sure this will be nice, but I will wait for testing against the Sigma 17-50.
It has been said before, but already at there Pentax is in lead. 1 mm is more wide at the wide end. I’m interested to see how this will fare against original 16-50 SDM. Suppose that it will be better in any other way than 16-50 zoom range where I hope less distortion and better performance all in all.

AF should be very fast too.

03-13-2021, 05:57 AM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
mmmmm...are they running like crazy? Taking the long view----going back some years, it looks like they've taken a slow and steady approach.
"Working like crazy" is a local expression which means "working as hard as they can".
The expression invokes a word picture of frenetic movement which may not be appropriate for this kind of production {nor 'politically correct'}, but I still stand by the original thought - I doubt if they work on this project only on alternate Tuesdays or some such thing.
03-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lack of DFA21 info is really getting annoying now. A used uwa at 20mm is coming up for sale and without any price or date indication on the DFA21 I can't really wait. I hate shopping for lenses, it's just tedious work and I amass to many lenses looking for decent ones. I guess I suffer from LBF (lens buying fatigue) I just don't see myself getting the DFA21 for a very long time if I end up buying this one which is annoying because I'd rather have the better lens and I'm already far into stopgap solutions. I have about 10 lenses I should be selling but that's also tedious work.

Last edited by house; 03-13-2021 at 08:53 AM.
03-13-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The lack of DFA21 info is really getting annoying now. A used uwa at 20mm is coming up for sale and without any price or date indication on the DFA21 I can't really wait. I hate shopping for lenses, it's just tedious work and I amass to many lenses looking for decent ones. I guess I suffer from LBF (lens buying fatigue) I just don't see myself getting the DFA21 for a very long time if I end up buying this one which is annoying because I'd rather have the better lens and I'm already far into stopgap solutions. I have about 10 lenses I should be selling but that's also tedious work.
What lens for what camera are we talking about?

I have the M20/4 and it's punching well above its (literal) weight, but use cases might differ of course...

03-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #245
Pentaxian

D FA 21mm ED Limited DC WR

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
What lens for what camera are we talking about?
D FA 21mm ED Limited DC WR:
D FA 21 Limited is one of the three. - PentaxForums.com
03-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
No, I mean which used 20mm.
03-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
No, I mean which used 20mm.
It's the A 20mm I'm considering.

03-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #248
Pentaxian

Alright . It is coming. DFA 21. They just want to make it perfect before release. It was going to be a surprise, but they did introduce it a while back. I suppose by summer you can put some € in order to order it. Since DA* was there too in that sneak peaked video. Really.
03-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having bought the FA20/2.8 some time before the K-1 was released, I'm quite happy to wait for the D FA21, but I understand your frustration. I imagine the value of the FA20 will hold up quite well after the D FA21 is released, because the price difference will undoubtedly be fairly large. At least, that's what I'm hoping, as I will sell the FA20 if I do purchase the D FA21. However, if your aversion to selling a lens is that strong, your decision on the 21 will be a little harder to make than mine.
03-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #250
Pentaxian

It's the A 20mm I'm considering.
Some people are OK with it, but others are not. Check out the reviews here on PF (yes, tedious!). While it can work in certain situations (not too much bright light), the A 20 is the one Pentax lens that I have found to be really disappointing.

If the D FA 21 turns out to be more than a scaled-up DA 15 Ltd, I may be interested in it.
03-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Some people are OK with it, but others are not. Check out the reviews here on PF (yes, tedious!). While it can work in certain situations (not too much bright light), the A 20 is the one Pentax lens that I have found to be really disappointing.

If the D FA 21 turns out to be more than a scaled-up DA 15 Ltd, I may be interested in it.
I've been looking at review and sample images but it's rare to find full resolution images and user reviews are close to useless unless you know the expectations and use case of the photographer. Anyway I spent the day outside with the family and purposefully ignored the auction. So I'm without a 20mm, will make do with my 24mm which I'd rather sell. Thing is wide angle Pentax lenses come up for sale sooo very very rarely at local (national) sites that it might be two years until the next one show up. Also the vintage Pentax UWA's cost as much as better and newer glass from other brands.

In other words the DFA21 will certainly fill a gap (actually several gaps but it can't be everything for everybody).
03-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #252
Pentaxian

I spent the day outside with the family and purposefully ignored the auction.
Sounds good. Domestic bliss, and a wallet that will be ready for the D FA 21!
03-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #253
Pentaxian

I've been looking at review and sample images but it's rare to find full resolution images and user reviews are close to useless unless you know the expectations and use case of the photographer. Anyway I spent the day outside with the family and purposefully ignored the auction. So I'm without a 20mm, will make do with my 24mm which I'd rather sell. Thing is wide angle Pentax lenses come up for sale sooo very very rarely at local (national) sites that it might be two years until the next one show up. Also the vintage Pentax UWA's cost as much as better and newer glass from other brands.

In other words the DFA21 will certainly fill a gap (actually several gaps but it can't be everything for everybody).
WA-prime(s) is(are) a the most distinctive desiderate of the Pentax (FF) sytem.

While for UWA thankfully there are still K-mount options from Laowa and Irix, the DFA 21 must really be the next lens announced soon to offer an alternative to the zooms in this range. In best case followed by a highly corrected and fast DFA* 24.
03-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #254
Pentaxian

I already have Zeiss 21mm 2.8, so I'm not that interested in DFA 21... unless it surprises with max aperture of 1.4-1.8 and low coma wide open. The Zeiss is great lens, but it's a bit slow for astrophotos.
03-15-2021, 02:20 AM   #255

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I already have Zeiss 21mm 2.8, so I'm not that interested in DFA 21... unless it surprises with max aperture of 1.4-1.8 and low coma wide open. The Zeiss is great lens, but it's a bit slow for astrophotos.
ZK or change mount from ZF?
ZK21 is so rare,I once doubted whether ZK21 really existed