Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
I have a similar problem using the O-ME53 on the K-1. The viewfinder isn't particularly bright to begin with, and the magnifier has a very small pupil, making it hard to see the image corners at times. Then I put the magnifier on the MX and it was truly mindblowing.
Yeah, I take the magnifier out when I'm shooting in lower light, but outside it's much better for framing IMO, particularly of somewhat-centered subjects (flowers, people, some architecture etc.). The K-1 is good, but the ME viewfinder is, simply put, a religious experience .

12-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
While like almost everyone, I am very excited about the new K-3-III. But it seems a number of people have expressed their concern about what they consider as necessary "features" that will apparently be missing on this hot new camera. It really is a matter of perspective (well, isn't much photography a matter of perspective?).

Here are my thoughts about some of the things that seem to have some folks exercised thoughts from the perspective of a 78 year old.
  • One Card Slot No problem. I probably can't last more than about 8GB max.
  • Weather-resistance No problem. I'm not allowed (and don't want to be) out in the rain any more.
  • Tilty-Screen No problem. I no longer take photos if the camera isn't right in front of me.
  • No GPS No problem. If I wander too far, someone will probably send out a Silver Alert.

If I have any one real concern about the new K-3-III, it is that I hope they finally bring it to market before I reach 80! How many little teasers can an old man take?
LOL the No GPS comment surprised me. Fortunately I wasn't drinking
12-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I was referring exclusively to the sensation on the shutter button, not the shutter itself, which is more easily measured. The Olys do get much better results at long handheld exposure, but that's mostly the IBIS, not the shutter itself, right?
Two things to unpack there. Sure, the sensation of the shutter button is said to be nicer, less force needed to press BUT that's also part of what causes vibration, or specifically rotation. If you're more stroking than pressing the button, the IBIS has less work to do = longer exposure possible handheld. There's also the fact that the more force muscles exert, the more they vibrate, although the force needed even for the conventional shutter button may not be significant enough to cause any visible effect in your shot. I think it's more likely that the slight tendency to rotate as you press is the bigger problem - which, as the story was told, was supposedly the reason to add tilt correction to IBIS (i.e. going from two to three axes corrected).

In terms of Olympus, I don't know enough about the shutters used there. A smaller sensor would do fine with a smaller shutter, but the more IBIS wiggle room you give, the larger the shutter would also need to be. In short, good IBIS->big shutter. Which gets you to the next problem, a bigger shutter causes more momentum when it opens. I'm happy to let Oly/Ricoh/etc engineers work that one out.

However, what is clear is that not having a mirror means one source of vibration is eliminated. And that does apply to Oly. Since Pentax is making a big spiel about the leaf switch mechanism, I'm guessing Olympus doesn't have that, so in that sense, you would be right, it's mostly IBIS with Olympus, and that's also what they highlight in their engineering insight video on the matter.
12-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #79

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hopefully it will still be clear when the shutter is triggered and not come at a surprise

12-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
hopefully it will still be clear when the shutter is triggered and not come at a surprise
On the K-1 it's still very noticeable, no worries there.
12-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Two things to unpack there. Sure, the sensation of the shutter button is said to be nicer, less force needed to press BUT that's also part of what causes vibration, or specifically rotation. If you're more stroking than pressing the button, the IBIS has less work to do = longer exposure possible handheld. There's also the fact that the more force muscles exert, the more they vibrate, although the force needed even for the conventional shutter button may not be significant enough to cause any visible effect in your shot. I think it's more likely that the slight tendency to rotate as you press is the bigger problem - which, as the story was told, was supposedly the reason to add tilt correction to IBIS (i.e. going from two to three axes corrected).
Am I the only person who uses the first knuckle to press the shutter release? The pad of the finger is firmly pressed against the body and a mere straightening of the finger releases the shutter with negligible camera movement. I've used this technique with an Asahi Pentax, Pentax MX, Pentax SF1, Pentax MZ-S, Pentax K10D and now the K-3.
12-16-2020, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

Of all of the things no one ever complained about. I wonder what could be next.
12-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Am I the only person who uses the first knuckle to press the shutter release? The pad of the finger is firmly pressed against the body and a mere straightening of the finger releases the shutter with negligible camera movement. I've used this technique with an Asahi Pentax, Pentax MX, Pentax SF1, Pentax MZ-S, Pentax K10D and now the K-3.
Not sure I'm picturing this accurately, but I imagine that with enough practice, rotation is minimal even with the standard way of operating.

12-16-2020, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Am I the only person who uses the first knuckle to press the shutter release?
I believe so, yes

Seriously, I must try it - sounds interesting