Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 11:18 AM - 6 Likes   #46
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm still banking on Ricoh announcing a better app with decent phone/camera connectivity.
It seems to me that the lacking GPS unit is going to be outsourced to the smartphone's GPS.
It seems to me that the lacking flippy screen is going to be outsourced to the smartphone's screen - similar to how the Ricoh Theta series works (without any screen at all)
Ricoh is saving the customer from having to afford redundant components when everyone carries a smartphone anyway.
If having an attached flippy screen is the make-or-break for such an astounding camera then buy a hotshoe mount for your smartphone.
In order to remain competitive with an integrated camera in smartphones, an external camera must have next-level connectivity with a smartphone - as if it were integrated - otherwise people will just use the smartphone.
To head off potential comments such as: "I don't even use a smartphone, why should I settle for this?" I must assure you that the incredible vast majority of people do have smartphones and they carry it with them everywhere.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-22-2020 at 11:48 AM.
12-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am a little surprised that there is no built in GPS or astrotracer.
While we are almost certain that there is no built-in GNSS/GPS capability, I believe that Shooting Menu 4 shows an Astrotracer control, in the line immediately below "Real Resolution." The interface is in the Japanese language, which I don't speak, but cross-referencing the English and Japanese Operating Manuals for the KP provides the translation.

- Craig
12-22-2020, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm still banking on Ricoh announcing a better app with decent phone/camera connectivity.
It seems to me that the lacking GPS unit is going to be outsourced to the smartphone's GPS.
It seems to me that the lacking flippy screen is going to be outsourced to the smartphone's screen - similar to how the Ricoh Theta series works (without any screen at all)
If bluetooth connection is as automatic and reliable as with my headphones and phone, then I see no problem. It's just there every time I turn on my headphones.
12-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
An interview of Shigeru Wakashiro

?PENTAX K-3III?APS-C??????????????????????? - YouTube

In Japanese but they show the touch screen (from 6:50) and other specs.
At around 2 min. mark they show VF and talk about it. I see option for AF H...there is also just AF. Presuminh H stands for High. So. that is new too. I know AF S, AF C. have not heard of AF H.? any thoughts?

12-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
An interview of Shigeru Wakashiro
Regrettably, I don't understand any of the speech, but I sure do like the soft, sweet 'schnick' of the mirror and shutter operation!

The interview video reveals several interesting things -- cross-section cut-away, a glimpse through the viewfinder with its overlays and focus points, the transparent model, and the rear monitor screen. All very nice, IMO.

- Craig
12-22-2020, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
In this day and age to come out with a flagship Aps-c camera and not have an articulating screen doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

definitely it's a big minus to not have that.

-
I really don't like to be on my knees in mud
12-22-2020, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

It'd be slick if Ricoh releases a hotshoe or tripod socket bracket that can support smartphones. Maybe using magnets? That'd be cool

12-22-2020, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it me or does the OVF look very bright?
12-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Still trying to understand why. It’s a beautiful camera. Why limit the users? Was it such a design throw back?

I was very upset when I saw the lack of built in flash unit for the first time in K II .

Now I'm double upset --- Or I don't care anymore ?

-
I think it's a second
12-22-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And we need a hands on with the K3III and the 21ltd so we can know its maximum aperture
12-22-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
It'd be slick if Ricoh releases a hotshoe or tripod socket bracket that can support smartphones. Maybe using magnets? That'd be cool
A tripod socket will already be occupied by a QR plate.

While better smartphone integration would be appreciated, it's awkward to use a phone, except maybe in a studio environment. Any bracket is one more thing to carry and get in the way and break (it would have considerable leverage on a hot shoe.) I've never had a flip or articulating screen on a dslr, but there have been times I wished I did: probably a third for flip-up, a third for flip-down, and a third for articulating (verticals.)
12-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Oooh, baby...

That'll go well with my new iPhone 12 Pro. The camera in this thing is just astonishing.

Cheers,
Cameron
12-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What a big lens hood you have!

12-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I'm really starting to want one of these now!
12-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
That'll go well with my new iPhone 12 Pro. The camera in this thing is just astonishing.

Cheers,
Cameron
Yes it is. Have you tried ProRaw?
Closed Thread