Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
A tripod socket will already be occupied by a QR plate.

While better smartphone integration would be appreciated, it's awkward to use a phone, except maybe in a studio environment. Any bracket is one more thing to carry and get in the way and break (it would have considerable leverage on a hot shoe.) I've never had a flip or articulating screen on a dslr, but there have been times I wished I did: probably a third for flip-up, a third for flip-down, and a third for articulating (verticals.)
i don't think this might be a solution to carry around for general shooting. But if someone goes for a macro session a tripod and other accesories might be already in the bag, something to attach a smartphone would be just natural. Probably the same for astrophotography or other tripod wor in general. As Kunzite has pointed out the SDK for the GRIII and current Pentax DSLRs might even allow to program your own dedicated app. This could allow e.g. for focus bracketing or other bracketing steps while taking the images, which would make a smartphone even more attractive and also add something to the functionality of the camera.

12-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
What a big lens hood you have!

That photo makes the K-3iii and lens look HUGE.
12-22-2020, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm still banking on Ricoh announcing a better app with decent phone/camera connectivity.
It seems to me that the lacking GPS unit is going to be outsourced to the smartphone's GPS.
It seems to me that the lacking flippy screen is going to be outsourced to the smartphone's screen - similar to how the Ricoh Theta series works (without any screen at all)
Ricoh is saving the customer from having to afford redundant components when everyone carries a smartphone anyway.
If having an attached flippy screen is the make-or-break for such an astounding camera then buy a hotshoe mount for your smartphone.
In order to remain competitive with an integrated camera in smartphones, an external camera must have next-level connectivity with a smartphone - as if it were integrated - otherwise people will just use the smartphone.
To head off potential comments such as: "I don't even use a smartphone, why should I settle for this?" I must assure you that the incredible vast majority of people do have smartphones and they carry it with them everywhere.
While I’m 100% in favor of better smartphone integration, I don’t think the camera can completely rely on a phone gps, especially for Astro tracer work.

It would be cool if it could connect to a regular phone for geotagging with the O-GPS accessory used for more precise work.

It would also be useful to have better support for the phone as a monitor. While it’s not a perfect solution, it’s pretty handy now when it works... now, how about integration with VR goggles

And wow, looks serious with the 85mm on it...

-Eric
12-22-2020, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And I would have bought it. For you it's not necessary. For me a deal breaker. Two Pentax customers, one gone. Between the two of us, Pentax lost half their customers.
And yet I'm more enthusiastic about the K-3 III because it doesn't have an articulated screen. That said, I do have a KP and for the few occasions where that's a useful feature, I'll just plan on using the KP. I appreciate that Pentax/Ricoh still gives us a choice between having articulated and non-articulated view screens on their cameras.

12-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
First view of the top LCD in action - not very clear why it has grown so much, but hopefully that ill become obvious as more comes out. Also interesting that 'live action' details not available

Thanks for finding/posting
Are there comparisons of the LCD size between this camera and the K-5, K-3, and K-1? When I've held the K-1 the LCD seems much smaller than the K-5's which I didn't like.
12-22-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes it has a lot of nice upgrades, but yes it's also missing an articulating screen that would have been super helpful to many.

We don't need to battle the viewpoints we don't like, just because we don't hold them.
I agree with your sentiment about not battling viewpoints.

It is what it is.

In much of the promotional literature that Ricoh has put out, there has been a focus on the 'joy' of making photographs; in the importance of being in the moment; in the physical sensation of lifting the camera to look through a bright optical viewfinder. Having a tilting screen, much as many would like one, detracts from this design philosophy. I think we've all seen what Fuji did with the X-Pro 3: "You can have a tilting screen but we will make it hard to use, so look through the viewfinder!"

Who is to say that Pentax was not ad idem with that very idea..?
12-22-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Still trying to understand why. It’s a beautiful camera. Why limit the users? Was it such a design throw back?
Perhaps Ricoh realizes that there are a still a few of us that don't want an articulated screen in a flagship camera....

12-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I agree with your sentiment about not battling viewpoints.

It is what it is.

In much of the promotional literature that Ricoh has put out, there has been a focus on the 'joy' of making photographs; in the importance of being in the moment; in the physical sensation of lifting the camera to look through a bright optical viewfinder. Having a tilting screen, much as many would like one, detracts from this design philosophy. I think we've all seen what Fuji did with the X-Pro 3: "You can have a tilting screen but we will make it hard to use, so look through the viewfinder!"

Who is to say that Pentax was not ad idem with that very idea..?
They could have gone next level, tilting flippy viewfinder, never leave the moment, from any angle.
12-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
i don't think this might be a solution to carry around for general shooting. But if someone goes for a macro session a tripod and other accesories might be already in the bag, something to attach a smartphone would be just natural. Probably the same for astrophotography or other tripod wor in general. As Kunzite has pointed out the SDK for the GRIII and current Pentax DSLRs might even allow to program your own dedicated app. This could allow e.g. for focus bracketing or other bracketing steps while taking the images, which would make a smartphone even more attractive and also add something to the functionality of the camera.
I guess I'm assuming excellent smartphone integration for a new camera, for cases where it's practical to use, not as a replacement for built-in functionality. I do believe the SDK situation is an edge case that won't apply to 99% of users. I know it was just an example but I think everyone assumes focus bracketing will be built into any new body today.
12-22-2020, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Still trying to understand why. It’s a beautiful camera. Why limit the users? Was it such a design throw back?
They explained why in one of the videos. I accept their logic, even if I would have preferred a rear screen like the K-1’s. I used my K-3 with a smart phone for low-level shooting, quite easily (high-level is a bit more complicated). People need to work with it or buy something else.
12-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
They explained why in one of the videos. I accept their logic, even if I would have preferred a rear screen like the K-1’s. I used my K-3 with a smart phone for low-level shooting, quite easily (high-level is a bit more complicated). People need to work with it or buy something else.
I would actually love to see something like the apple watch that could be used as a viewfinder/remote. Not that large but enough to get it framed up.
12-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
Perhaps Ricoh realizes that there are a still a few of us that don't want an articulated screen in a flagship camera....
Ideally an articulating (or especially flip) screen has no downside other than some very marginal increase in cost. I assume you're taking issue with the additional thickness that might result? Is there any other downside to having the feature?

Incidentally shouldn't there be a K-3iv thread, now that the iii is fast becoming old news? No time like the present to lobby for favorite features that got left out of the iii.
12-22-2020, 02:30 PM - 5 Likes   #73
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I agree with your sentiment about not battling viewpoints.It is what it is.
Yes it gets tedious watching old men try to out alpha one another with their subjective opinions on a camera. Esp when we've had this argument (on the back screen) at least 3 times already at long length.
12-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Ideally an articulating (or especially flip) screen has no downside other than some very marginal increase in cost.
That's not true at all.
For example, among articulated screens a flip screen has the disadvantage of being more cumbersome to use.
12-22-2020, 02:49 PM - 6 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG. Still a babble about rear screen. It is hardly going to change even if so many will curse it. So many good and amazing things instead. Have a look at them. Please
Closed Thread