Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’m super excited for this new camera! Can’t wait.

12-23-2020, 05:53 AM   #137
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
While we are almost certain that there is no built-in GNSS/GPS capability, I believe that Shooting Menu 4 shows an Astrotracer control, in the line immediately below "Real Resolution." The interface is in the Japanese language, which I don't speak, but cross-referencing the English and Japanese Operating Manuals for the KP provides the translation.
Yes, it says アストレーサー = asutore-sa- = Astro tracer. I can at least read katakana.

---------- Post added 23-12-20 at 11:54 PM ----------

Take my money! I want this camera yesterday! Actually it would've been handy this evening to get better photos of Jupiter and Saturn.
12-23-2020, 05:55 AM - 6 Likes   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do wonder if all of the people complaining about this camera would have bought one if the feature that is missing (articulating screen, GPS, K cup dispenser, etc) was actually present. Particularly if that feature raised the (already high) price another 50 dollars.

This really isn't a macro camera. Talking about crawling around on your knees taking photos of mushrooms is fine, but if that is a main goal of yours, there are probably better cameras for it. 12 fps and a 2000 dollar price tag (?) are going to mean that this is more oriented to those who need a camera capable of action photography. Just keep a K-70, KS-2, or KP around for those dirty knees moments and use this for when you need 12 frames per second with tracking auto focus.

I am not sure if I would/will get this. I am more hoping that many of these features make their way into the K-1 III and that would be the camera that I grab. I still remain very positive about the release in general and think that most of the people who are truly interested in the features this camera brings to the table will not be turned off over much by the missing features.
Without 12 fps how would you capture a mushroom migration?
12-23-2020, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I think I dont like the menu structure.
In a typical Pentax camera the physical controls are much more important than the menu structure, because the physical controls are used for every photo, while we dive into the menu system only when the physical controls fail to provide what is needed, but we don’t know enough about the physical controls to comment. Or were you trying to find something to whine about?

12-23-2020, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In a typical Pentax camera the physical controls are much more important than the menu structure, because the physical controls are used for every photo, while we dive into the menu system only when the physical controls fail to provide what is needed, but we don’t know enough about the physical controls to comment. Or were you trying to find something to whine about?
I probably access my menus 10 times a year, almost all of it for turning on Pixel Shift.
12-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I probably access my menus 10 times a year, almost all of it for turning on Pixel Shift.
i dedicated that to a button i don't use at all (the one beneath the ok)
12-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
i dedicated that to a button i don't use at all (the one beneath the ok)
I'm going to do that , thanks....

12-23-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

I find it amusing, that so many people that own K-3, K-5 and most other K - single digit destination cameras, simply won't buy this because it doesn't have a flippy screen. Didn't seem a problem for them to buy previous cameras. Suddenly, it's a failure to not have one.

In a camera, specifically designed around the optical viewfinder, and obviously with the most ever focus points, and a dedicated joystick to control the focus points......

I will be buying this camera.
12-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I find it amusing, that so many people that own K-3, K-5 and most other K - single digit destination cameras, simply won't buy this because it doesn't have a flippy screen. Didn't seem a problem for them to buy previous cameras. Suddenly, it's a failure to not have one.
You realise that by replying to it, you're also continuing that discussion, right?

But to diffuse this new payload, there was also a time when people started buying cars or bikes with gears, after not buying them before. I hope this shows that this line of investigation gets us nowhere, and we can stop there.
12-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
An interview of Shigeru Wakashiro

?PENTAX K-3III?APS-C??????????????????????? - YouTube

In Japanese but they show the touch screen (from 6:50) and other specs.
As for camera - I WANT one. ASAP.

I wonder what polish YT landscape photographer who last year switched from 6D to K-70 would say about this camera (if he will get a chance to test it). He liked K-70 better then Cannon 6d and EOS R due to better dynamic range and pixel shift
12-23-2020, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Didn't seem a problem for them to buy previous cameras. Suddenly, it's a failure to not have one.
Oh it was a problem. I don't even take my K-3 out during mushroom season, it' completely replaced by the K-1. Same for flowers, my K-3 is reduced in use to hikes when I want a lighter set up, although even then I often take the K-1. Same for canoe trips when GPS data is often needed.

The K-3 is reduced to action and bird photography. I'm looking or camera that can do what both my K-3 and K-1 can do. Cameras like D500 remains the only viable looking option if I really want to go that route.

Maybe Pentax can make a go with this, cutting features from the K-3 series, maybe they can't. It's a gamble. Personally, I won't pay the projected price increase for a camera missing features I want. The question is will there be enough Pentax buyers to make this camera profitable if buyers like myself don't buy in. You assume there will be. They could also be an exodus of people moving to D500s. What we want is available, just not from Pentax. When you don't make many models, excluding customers by stripping down gear makes no sense.

I don't have a problem with the quality of K-3 images. I'm not convinced 12 FPS will get me a lot more images than the 8 of my current K-3. I'm not paying 2 grand for this camera while my current k-3 is still working. And with my K-1 now doin most of the heavy lifting, my K-3 will be lasting a long time. Maybe long enough for Pentax to come to their senses. Maybe not. it doesn't matter. I like my K-3, I'm not suffering (except for the lack of tilting back screen and GPS, problems the K-3iii doesn't solve), so why would I change?

I bought a D*ist, a K100D, a K20D a K-x, 2 K-5's a K-3 and a K-1. Pentax is definitely culling the herd with this camera. Just my opinion ot course. As long as the camera brings in more customers than it loses that will be fine for Pentax. But not for me.

Last edited by normhead; 12-23-2020 at 07:38 AM.
12-23-2020, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #147

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I seems to imply that the new 307,000 pixel RGBIr sensor used for metering is also able to identify faces. This is the case for high-end reflex cameras from competition (e.g. Canon EOS-1D X Mark II and Nikon D6).
That the RGB-Sensor is used in OVF mode for Face Detection is nothing new for Pentax. It has been in Pentax cameras for a long time. What would be new is that with a menue setting you would be able to say "look for faces". That is present in competition high end cameras but not in Pentax cameras to date.
12-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Looks like the buffer clears quickly from the top LCD?

Also now that we know it doesn't have a hybrid viewfinder, I really don't get what the video / liveview wheel is for.
12-23-2020, 07:24 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Looks like the buffer clears quickly from the top LCD?

Also now that we know it doesn't have a hybrid viewfinder, I really don't get what the video / liveview wheel is for.
*Looks*, but I asked if anybody had figured out the shooting settings, and got no reply. So they may be shooting JPEG-only. And if this camera has low-res shooting modes... Long story short, unless someone has noticed something I haven't, we can't be sure we've learnt anything from that short glimpse.
12-23-2020, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The question is will there be enough Pentax buyers to make this camera profitable if buyers like myself don't buy in.
If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that this camera would do comfortably well without ever setting the world afire, but slowly grow in prestige and reputation over a longish lifespan.
Either way, it's important for all of us who value what Pentax has to offer that it does well enough to make a worthwhile profit. I won't be buying one when it comes out for purely financial reasons - it would be a very nice upgrade for my K-3 for what I use that for, which is mostly insect macros plus a bit of birding, and I'd probably use it more than the K-3 for general photography, except that I don't have much in the way of APS-C lenses.
Closed Thread