Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Whinging is the preferred UK term. Presumably AUS is similar. Meaning wise I'd say the same but slightly different.
Up north (england) its winge or twine

12-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Yeah I can definitely understand the logic from a UX perspective, similar to how the Z body Nikons have a dedicated photo/video mode switch with independent settings dialed in for each. But unless the K-3 video specs/bitrate is good, I just don't see many people actually using it to the point to warrant the cost of adding another wheel for it. FWIW, in the time that I've shot maybe 50k+ images on the K-1 I have barely used the video toggle under the Fn wheel outside of the settings calibration when I first got the camera. Why not save a few bucks and use a dedicated LV button, then let users customize an Fn button should they want to record?
I actually think that this remains to be seen. I like my video switch on my K-1 and I’v taken a bunch of video with my K-1. It does remain to be seen how effective this will be as I’v learn to use LV from the button and I know where it is. How ever, this option of having it all in one wheel does seem reasonable. Yet it remains to ve seen how they have implemented the way we can adjust them and how much of fiddle it will be. I do hope that there will be good video in order for me to use it even more in future. Or at all. Also it will be interesting to see how that sF.n button and third wheel will work with all of that. There is good sized top panel to make adjustments with in.
12-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #168

I have an occasional problem of bumping my K3ii into video mode accidently so I'm all in favor of the new setup.
12-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #169
Pentaxian

The interesting part about that video/LV/OVF switch is that there's a patent about it.
I wonder if the development appears so slow because there's a lot of overhead with the legal stuff.

12-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Someone quoted $200 for the O-GPS.
$196.95 today at B&H, though often sold for less.

Steve
12-23-2020, 10:51 AM - 3 Likes   #171
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Some of y'all may be surprised by this, but people took macro photos for decades before cameras had any LCD screens at all. It's still possible to take outstanding photos without a flippy screen, and acting as if it's suddenly impossible to shoot on the ground without one is disingenuous and insulting to the generations of photographers who have done so.
Some of y'all may be surprised by this, but people took sports/action photos for decades before cameras had any AF system at all. It's still possible to take outstanding photos without an AF system, and acting as if it's suddenly impossible to shoot action photos without one is disingenuous and insulting to the generations of photographers who have done so.

12-23-2020, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #172
Pentaxian

I’m going to get external display regardless for my video work with my BMPCC just had a look of quite affordable one. I know. It is extra cost and propably my iPhone will be even better for low angle work. Or at the situation when camera is on the tripod, but I cant get at the screen because camera is for example almost touching wall behind it( I’v actually been in this situation couple of times). Most affordable was 179€. (Talking about accessories) In the paggage you’ll get ARM which you can attach to the hotshoe. I’m not going to get it for macro, but I do believe it should be handy for that too.

12-23-2020, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has no one started a “Why I won’t buy a K-3iii” thread, yet? Perhaps another called “Why I’m Thinking About a K-3iii, but looking for a good excuse not to”?

Actually, I’m thinking about a K-3iii, but waiting until a few reliable people have got their hands on one and reported accordingly.
12-23-2020, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of y'all may be surprised by this, but people took macro photos for decades before cameras had any LCD screens at all. It's still possible to take outstanding photos without a flippy screen, and acting as if it's suddenly impossible to shoot on the ground without one is disingenuous and insulting to the generations of photographers who have done so.
It’s not a matter of “impossible”, but it’s a damned sight easier to use a flippy screen than the other options. I got by without anything other than the viewfinder for years, but a Refconverter made that easier, and the Refconverter A was a revelation. I got the K-1 shortly thereafter and haven’t used anything else for that sort of work since.

I probably should sell my Refconverters to new K-3iii owners.
12-23-2020, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Some of y'all may be surprised by this, but people took sports/action photos for decades before cameras had any AF system at all. It's still possible to take outstanding photos without an AF system, and acting as if it's suddenly impossible to shoot action photos without one is disingenuous and insulting to the generations of photographers who have done so.

Surprisingly enough, the various improvements in cameras over the decades has led to some changes in photography styles across all genres of photography.
It's possible to shoot a football game (soccer, rugby or North american) with a speed graphic, but its a pretty safe bet that it won't be catching a lot the stuff that a high end digital ILC with a super tele will be able to get with ease.
I shot high school football and fencing with fully manual 35mm slrs and 50mm lenses. I got some good stuff, but the guys from the newspaper with their telephoto lenses and motor drives almost always got more and better action shots.
I did well shooting fencing. It required good timing, and not much else.
Sometimes the motor drive/ burst exposure gives a picture from slightly before the peak, or slightly after. More fps helps, but pushing the button at the right time is best.
AF has opened a lot of doors in the action photos genre.
12-23-2020, 12:00 PM - 4 Likes   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It’s not a matter of “impossible”, but it’s a damned sight easier to use a flippy screen than the other options. I got by without anything other than the viewfinder for years, but a Refconverter made that easier, and the Refconverter A was a revelation. I got the K-1 shortly thereafter and haven’t used anything else for that sort of work since.
I don't understand this kind of talk.

We knew this camera has a fixed screen for ages. Yet there was a lot of reality denial ("no! it has one! look, a notch!"). Now we even have official articles specifically to tell us how fixed the screen is. Like it or not, that's how they've made the camera. Yet post after post after post...
I can't figure out what's so important about a flippy screen that people just can't stop talking about it.
12-23-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't understand this kind of talk.

We knew this camera has a fixed screen for ages. Yet there was a lot of reality denial ("no! it has one! look, a notch!"). Now we even have official articles specifically to tell us how fixed the screen is. Like it or not, that's how they've made the camera.
This was one of the stranger phenomena I’ve witnessed around these parts. It was clear from the first teaser that it had a fixed screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yet post after post after post...
I can't figure out what's so important about a flippy screen that people just can't stop talking about it.
It’s not for no reason or lack of demand that so many cameras are designed with them. I use mine every time I take photos. Sometimes it is out of convenience or comfort, and others necessity. There are some shots that are just not possible, or would require far more time, gear, and/or effort without a flippy screen.
12-23-2020, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
It’s not for no reason or lack of demand that so many cameras are designed with them. I use mine every time I take photos. Sometimes it is out of convenience or comfort, and others necessity. There are some shots that are just not possible, or would require far more time, gear, and/or effort without a flippy screen.
Of course, they're useful in many situations. That doesn't mean they're essential for every single camera. And it doesn't mean they have absolutely no disadvantage.

What will make or break the K-3 Mark III is performance - how well/fast it works in real life. Not the back LCD.
12-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #179

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

It's not about things being *possible*. It's about how much of a hassle they are.
You're spot on there. We have a 2011 car without backup camera and a 2017 car with. I won't even drive the one without a backup camera, it's too much hassle to turn my head.

---------- Post added 12-23-20 at 01:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The same person who might have taken a photo while on the ground many decades ago might not be so willing to today, even if physically still able. The "generations" they would be insulting might very well include themselves, so I don't believe that suggesting that a flippy screen could improve/expand photo opportunities would likely be deemed an insult by... anyone. It's like saying that because we use digital sensors instead of film and take advantage of the increased flexibility they offer, we're insulting the generation of photographers who used film.
I'm not talking about ability, I'm talking about the "I won't even bother to try to take pictures without every latest bell and whistle" mindset. I understand wanting the newest stuff, we all get GAS every now and then. But if you hand me a K-1000 and some rolls of Tri-X, I won't turn up my nose because it's not the latest gear, I'll grab it before you change your mind and bring back some exposed rolls for developing.
12-23-2020, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

I'm not talking about ability, I'm talking about the "I won't even bother to try to take pictures without every latest bell and whistle" mindset. I understand wanting the newest stuff, we all get GAS every now and then. But if you hand me a K-1000 and some rolls of Tri-X, I won't turn up my nose because it's not the latest gear, I'll grab it before you change your mind and bring back some exposed rolls for developing.
This isn't about "newest" but "easier".
Unless you're a masochist, you would likely want the stuff which makes certain tasks (that you're doing) much easier. But, as I was saying, the K-3 Mark III is supposed to make easier the shooting of fast moving subjects (rather than crawling in the mud).
Closed Thread