Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
That is a very unenlightened approach. Yes, results count most, but knowing how Pentax gets there is a legitimate part of the story.
and Pentax gets there via externals controls.

How is that unenlightened???

The Sony approach of using menus looks unenlightened to me.
I can make most major changes without removing my KP from my eye {I have to look for the button that allows me to change EC} instead of diving into a bunch of confusing menus.

12-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
So you think it's the sensor from the X-T2? I'm not sure I'm following which you're suggesting.
No, that would be a 24 megapixel sensor, possibly the same one used in the KP.

The 26 megapixel sensor is the one in the X-T3, and is BSI. Its noise characteristics are worse than the X-T2, probably attributable to a combination of smaller photo sites and a large proportion dedicated to OSPDAF in the X-T3.

The number of OSPDAF pixels is not necessarily the same in the X-T3 and K-3 III, but what we can see (there's that link again) is that between the 24 megapixel FSI sensor and the 26 megapixel BSI one, Fujifilm lost some image quality. @surfar suggested there would be an effect of BSI, but it looks like there really isn't a substantial effect in this case. This is in broad agreement with similar results from other pairs of cameras, like the Nikon Z5 (24 megapixel FSI) and Z6 (25 megapixel BSI), where image quality, again, doesn't differ very much at typical ISO values (in that case, you can start to see it above ISO 6400 in raw and a little earlier in SOOC JPEG).
12-23-2020, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I can make most major changes without removing my KP from my eye {I have to look for the button that allows me to change EC} instead of diving into a bunch of confusing menus.
I think our replies are getting cross-wired, as I didn't object to this point at all. Let's forget about it. I was just curious to learn how Pentax achieves the IQ improvement in the K-3 III.
12-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I think our replies are getting cross-wired, as I didn't object to this point at all. Let's forget about it. [HL]I was just curious to learn how Pentax achieves the IQ improvement in the K-3III[?HL].
I responded to that interest in #204
The best "explanation" will consist of using it.
Perhaps the 'accelerator' will run at all ISO levels - I don't know how that will effect image IQ, but it very easily could, with lower noise, better colors, and high DR at all levels.
In any case, the best advice is to just wait and see - look at the results instead of asking how they are achieved.

12-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
No, that would be a 24 megapixel sensor, possibly the same one used in the KP.

The 26 megapixel sensor is the one in the X-T3, and is BSI. Its noise characteristics are worse than the X-T2, probably attributable to a combination of smaller photo sites and a large proportion dedicated to OSPDAF in the X-T3.

The number of OSPDAF pixels is not necessarily the same in the X-T3 and K-3 III, but what we can see (there's that link again) is that between the 24 megapixel FSI sensor and the 26 megapixel BSI one, Fujifilm lost some image quality. @surfar suggested there would be an effect of BSI, but it looks like there really isn't a substantial effect in this case. This is in broad agreement with similar results from other pairs of cameras, like the Nikon Z5 (24 megapixel FSI) and Z6 (25 megapixel BSI), where image quality, again, doesn't differ very much at typical ISO values (in that case, you can start to see it above ISO 6400 in raw and a little earlier in SOOC JPEG).
Is this theoretical use of the X-T3's sensor going to drive the K-3 III to a much less ISO-invariant output vs. what we've become used to with Pentax digital cameras in the CMOS era?

We'll see on all this.
12-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks so cool. Hopefully it won't cost way more than 2K... I know, wishful thinking.
12-23-2020, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #217
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
I believe it is this sensor:
Noise on the X-T3 should be 6% worse than the X-T2, and it is! – breakfastographer

At least nobody has dug up any other sensor it could be.

X-T3 is BSI, X-T2 is FSI.
I'm feeling somewhat more sanguine about noise on the K3iii than some posters here. It just doesn't seem plausible that Pentax would commit to a maximum iso of 1.6 million if the performance at iso 3200 say were worse than current models. Although I'm sure iso 1.6 M is pretty dreadful, I would expect 2 or 3 stops down to be useable.

12-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #218
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Is this theoretical use of the X-T3's sensor going to drive the K-3 III to a much less ISO-invariant output vs. what we've become used to with Pentax digital cameras in the CMOS era?

We'll see on all this.
If the K3mk III is using the most current sensor in Sony's catalogue then we are more than likely going to see newer tech including BSI and DCG (dual conversion gain)
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Aptina/DR-Pix_WhitePaper.pdf

This is the next evolution with Sony sensors, before we where limited to have a sensor that was optimized for high iso work or for low iso work
With DCG we have a switch that allows the user to select the best of both worlds, performance at lower iso when we want to use the FWC and performance at higher iso only using a fraction of the FWC.

What you have in the end is 2 settings for ISO-invariant
12-23-2020, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
At around 2 min. mark they show VF and talk about it. I see option for AF H...there is also just AF. Presuminh H stands for High. So. that is new too. I know AF S, AF C. have not heard of AF H.? any thoughts?
Did we find what AF-H means in this context? AF-Hybrid??
12-24-2020, 01:34 AM   #220

did anyone else notice it only has 1 UHS-2 slot? after using this setup on the A7iii and comparing it to the Canon R6, kind of feel skimping on having 1 UHS2 slot means it just has 2 UHS1 slots. That said as long as the slots can actually hit 90MB/s in UHS1 mode I that's a far better result than what Pentax cameras can do now (unless the KP is faster, which I've never tested)
12-24-2020, 02:05 AM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Did we find what AF-H means in this context? AF-Hybrid??
Could be. Wonder how that would work?
12-24-2020, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AF-Head? Normally they'd say AF-Face I guess, but who knows.
The symbol seems to show the four corners of a "frame" inside so I'd bet it's a "smart" mode rather than the single point/single area modes where you select...
12-24-2020, 02:23 AM   #223
Veteran Member

Do you or have you owned a Sony? They are designed to allow you to customize the function of almost all the external controls—all while continuing to look through the eyepiece.
12-24-2020, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #224
Pentaxian

I think AF-H could mean this. AF-Hyperfocal
AF-H: A new focusing mode ...
12-24-2020, 03:36 AM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
I think AF-H could mean this. AF-Hyperfocal
AF-H: A new focusing mode ...
Okay, that makes sense and it would be great as well.

Have I mentioned yet how much I'm interested in seeing what the new body can do?
Closed Thread