Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2020, 03:42 PM - 8 Likes   #331
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

By now, everyone who reads these forums, without exception, must have read every possible opinion regarding the K-3III's lack of a flippy screen. It's been hashed and re-hashed so many times, I simply can't believe there's anything constructive left to be said on the subject, nor indeed that anything new has come to light about it in several weeks. With the greatest of respect to those who (quite validly) wanted the articulating screen or simply think the camera should have one, unless there's some brand new revelation that can benefit our community, might we finally move on from this repetition?

12-25-2020, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
K1 III ???? - this is a K3 III thread!!!
Oh, I'm aware of that. I was just thinking , a lot of these new techs and iterations will also be applied on the K-1 III, when it comes out.
12-25-2020, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #333
Pentaxian

Hey, I was thinking... perhaps the K-3 Mark III isn't the most inspired name.
There's still time to change it, of course they'd have to rewrite tons of marketing material... but, here's my suggestion: K-3 Performance Oriented (K-3 PO).
It captures the target of this camera perfectly.
12-25-2020, 04:05 PM - 3 Likes   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hey, I was thinking... perhaps the K-3 Mark III isn't the most inspired name.
There's still time to change it, of course they'd have to rewrite tons of marketing material... but, here's my suggestion: K-3 Performance Oriented (K-3 PO).
It captures the target of this camera perfectly.
Since it's the closest thing to a centenary camera, I'd suggest C-3 PO.
We may want to get the trademark attorneys' opinion on that one, though - it sounds vaguely familiar.

12-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Since it's the closest thing to a centenary camera, I'd suggest C-3 PO.
We may want to get the trademark attorneys' opinion on that one, though - it sounds vaguely familiar.
I think Ricoh tried it and got pushback from Disney and Canon

And so soon after Dreamworks blocked them from using the K1PO...

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts - Wikipedia

-Eric
12-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #336
Pentaxian

Look at a GR III, it's likely similar.
You should be able to obtain the location info from the smartphone, as well as transfer the images taken (with an additional setting to transfer while the camera is off).
If you can transfer images to your smartphone, having one on you can help alleviate the lack of a tilting rear panel on the camera. Of course, that is an extra step you have to take to view your images comfortably...
12-25-2020, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
By now, everyone who reads these forums, without exception, must have read every possible opinion regarding the K-3III's lack of a flippy screen. It's been hashed and re-hashed so many times, I simply can't believe there's anything constructive left to be said on the subject, nor indeed that anything new has come to light about it in several weeks. With the greatest of respect to those who (quite validly) wanted the articulating screen or simply think the camera should have one, unless there's some brand new revelation that can benefit our community, might we finally move on from this repetition?
+1 here.

12-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #338
Pentaxian

Fully agreed.
For the avid mushroom photographers just a tip:

Pixco 1-2.0x Right Angle Finder For Canon Sony Pentax Fujifilm 1x-2x right angle view machine

or any 20$ similar thing from the big chinese bazaar...
12-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #339
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe Pentax could supply a compact mirror for those who don't want to get wet knees?
Sounds like there would be a market for one 🤔
12-25-2020, 11:12 PM - 6 Likes   #340
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enough with the snide, "cleaver", sarcastic remarks directed at forum members. Please. We know some members need a tilt screen (I prefer fully articulated) and/or flash and/or GPS and/or 4K 120p. We know other members never need or use any of these. A house divided by members sniping at one another isn't helpful to those of use who are not daily contributors. Let's discuss the features this camera does have. I am particularly interested in how the larger viewfinder will make my photography more enjoyable. Looking at menu screens is all very well, but what about the viewfinder? There was very little mentioned about the viewfinder, except the curious "1.3 crop shooting feature" overlay - no wow! how much brighter and larger it is. I very much hope that the viewfinder is all Ricoh has cracked it up to be. I, personally, can't wait for this camera to be released, so I can decide whether it's a worth spending the money to replace my one of my 2 K-5II bodies.

Last edited by Gray; 12-25-2020 at 11:24 PM.
12-26-2020, 05:55 AM   #341
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Enough with the snide, "cleaver", sarcastic remarks directed at forum members. Please. We know some members need a tilt screen (I prefer fully articulated) and/or flash and/or GPS and/or 4K 120p. We know other members never need or use any of these. A house divided by members sniping at one another isn't helpful to those of use who are not daily contributors. Let's discuss the features this camera does have. I am particularly interested in how the larger viewfinder will make my photography more enjoyable. Looking at menu screens is all very well, but what about the viewfinder? There was very little mentioned about the viewfinder, except the curious "1.3 crop shooting feature" overlay - no wow! how much brighter and larger it is. I very much hope that the viewfinder is all Ricoh has cracked it up to be. I, personally, can't wait for this camera to be released, so I can decide whether it's a worth spending the money to replace my one of my 2 K-5II bodies.
The viewfinder magnification is known. Brightness was also given a number but if I remember correctly less precise. The info is in the various interviews and videos and I don't remember the exact details.

This recent hands on video revealed removing the red light at focus lock helped make the viewfinder brighter. Will be interesting to see if it was worth it. I've recently, dim indoor christmas photos, relied on the red flash to know when focus is locked. The lines themselves are difficult to seen when it's dark.
12-26-2020, 06:18 AM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The viewfinder magnification is known. Brightness was also given a number but if I remember correctly less precise. The info is in the various interviews and videos and I don't remember the exact details.

This recent hands on video revealed removing the red light at focus lock helped make the viewfinder brighter. Will be interesting to see if it was worth it. I've recently, dim indoor christmas photos, relied on the red flash to know when focus is locked. The lines themselves are difficult to seen when it's dark.
The new prism looks super bright in the videos, but of course it's hard to tell how it will be in real life...
12-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #343
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the internet:
There is no way they could get a huge improvement over the KP; the KP is just that good.
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
bs! bsi!
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I read somewhere that there is speculation of 28-bit capture to allow amazing dynamic range when coupled with a back-lit sensor from an unknown source, perhaps homegrown.
No BS, and BSI isn't magic.
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
the image quality is a big improvement over the K-3 II thanks to the newer BSI sensor
12-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #344
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Welcome to the internet:
Just for the record, I said "over the KP" - not over the K3 II which is quite a bit behind the KP in this regard.
12-26-2020, 07:38 AM - 5 Likes   #345
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
You realise that by replying to it, you're also continuing that discussion, right?

But to diffuse this new payload, there was also a time when people started buying cars or bikes with gears, after not buying them before. I hope this shows that this line of investigation gets us nowhere, and we can stop there.
It didn't stop there though, many others chose to keep expressing their disappointments.
As you say, cars and bikes didn't have gears, earlier Pentax cameras didn't have so many AF points, or a dedicated joystick to control them, or as many megapikles in a aps-c, or the best ever OVF in a aps-c camera.

only reason I'm responding, is to address the comments made after this.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Expressing my disappointment. Given the numbers of times I've been branded a Pentax fanboy.....
I guess this thread is just for prospective purchasers.
Why is important, why not? isn't I get it.

And as for bashing the brand... biggest joke of the day. They made a mistake, that's all. I'll wait until they correct it in K-3iii 0.1.
There you go, bashing it again.

" They made a mistake, that's all. I'll wait until they correct it in K-3iii 0.1"

Just like you did to the K-1, I do have a memory, and remember all your comments as to why aps-c so so much better than FF,why you wouldn't get a FF, and the pixel density of the crop frame and frame rate ect ect ect, rememeber that???? and even your signature that stated all formats had there compromises, and aps-c was your choice, then, later you bought a K-1 and changed your signature.

No need to answer or deny it, we both know the truth of that.

and just for the record , from the dictionary

Deny - state that one refuses to admit the truth or existence of.

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Norm is sometimes vocal, and sometimes even abrasive, and he has been lamenting the absence of a feature that he considers important for his use. I have not seen where he bashes Pentax.
He says , It's a mistake, he says the Nikon D500 is the only viable option.
A flippy screen, in a Camera designed to be a sports and action camera...... a sports and action camera with Pentax's best ever aps-c OVF and Pentax's best ever AF with 101 focus points...........

Lets read on..

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The K-3 is reduced to action and bird photography. I'm looking or camera that can do what both my K-3 and K-1 can do. Cameras like D500 remains the only viable looking option if I really want to go that route.

Maybe Pentax can make a go with this, cutting features from the K-3 series, maybe they can't. It's a gamble. Personally, I won't pay the projected price increase for a camera missing features I want. The question is will there be enough Pentax buyers to make this camera profitable if buyers like myself don't buy in. You assume there will be. They could also be an exodus of people moving to D500s. What we want is available, just not from Pentax.. But not for me.
"Nikon D500", Still , more expensive than the projected price of the K-3iii, yet, no astrotracer, and only aps-c.... yet you want the features of both the K-3 and K-1.

"Cutting features from the K-3 series."...... K-3 series, never had a flippy screen, K-3ii cut onboard flash, and put a GPS and astrotracer function onboard, obviously a step down from the K-3, it had a flash.

"Exodus of people leaving Pentax, Nikon is a better option, too expensive. K-3 is reduced to action and bird photography...Will there be enough people to buy this camera.."

Yes, there will be enough buying this camera, including Norm, later on, when he buys it.

Funny, in all the pre-release advertising for the K-3iii, OVF orientated , action and sports camera, that's exactly what they say they are making in the K-3iii. this is obviously about sports and action photography, with the latest AF , 101 focus points, a dedicated joystick for controlling the AF , the best ever OVF in a aps-c camera.... best ever OVF ...... Optical View Finder.... Liveview.... obviously, not an issue in the design of the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think he (or most of the others) are "bashing" Pentax. They are among the crowd who show up for any new piece of gear or glass to say, "This doesn't interest me so it probably won't sell well."

This has been true of every new release recently. K-1 II (not enough improvement over the K-1 and did I mention how terrible the accelerator is?), KP (horrible ergonomics and can you believe they took away a card slot?), DFA *50 (can you believe the size of this piece of glass and who in their right mind would pay over a thousand dollars for a fast 50? My FA 50 cost 200 dollars!), and now the K-3 III. I don't think Pentax is going to sell tons of them -- mainly because the price is going to be pretty high. At the same time, I expect them to actually turn a profit on each one they do sell and that is the more important thing.

We have seen from Olympus that selling lots of well reviewed cameras at a loss is a recipe for disaster. Better to sell fewer and actually turn a profit on those.
Firstly, Rondec, I highly respect you as a forum member and have always been a watcher of your posts, and your takeup on new gear .

You , were a first uptaker of the DFA 24-70, when it was only a aps-c option, no K-1 released.

K-1ii, has been a very high high seller, bringing many from the other brands to Pentax, the accelerator, is now a mute point, look at the baked in raw in Nikon and Canon Mirrorless cameras ... are you really that unsatisfied with your K-1ii????? I've seen so , so many stunning photos from the K-1ii I'm both unsure it"s such a issue and whatever Pentax has done, is all about photos.

KP, I believe there would be more than a few, heck, 1000's that would say the ergonomics are are anything but horrible..., and it has a flippy screen. I would have one yesterday, but, I just don't have the extra money.

I , bought the DFA 50/1.4. It's stunning, Have you seen the price and size of the latest high end ( high end ) 50mm/1.4 lenses from Nikon and Canon, and Sony? Also, have you seen the sales of the DFA85/1.4 ???

Pentax , will sell lots of this camera, and with so many users from Nikon and Canon, being unhappy with the shift to mirrrorless as a focus, we may very well see even more people migrating over to Pentax. With all the features tested in the K-3ii, that melded into the K-1 , imagine the what is coming in the K-1-iii

And , Yes, Pentax will turn a profit from its sales,

I'm sorry if I have offended anybody by my comments, but, I'm just calling it as I see it .

Lets all just wait till this camera actually gets released, lets see what it actually is. Lets not be daisy cutters before it sees the light of day.
Closed Thread