Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 03:21 PM - 7 Likes   #376
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
So why, if you have no intention or interest in buying this camera, are you popping up in this thread, an bashing the Pentax brand.
I'm not going to get into the flippy screen issue but I feel I can state, with a very high degree of confidence, that member normhead is NOT bashing the Pentax brand.

12-26-2020, 03:34 PM - 3 Likes   #377
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm not going to get into the flippy screen issue
Oh, but Jim... you'd do it with such flair. Of course, we'd need paramedics standing by...
12-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #378
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Yes, but I don't need a battery grip, and I do have a weakness for the KP...
Does the K-70 have pixel-shift, then?
Yes it does
12-26-2020, 05:58 PM - 4 Likes   #379
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It will be a total deal-breaker if it has "RICOH" on the back.
Yep. It's rumored that at least one member wouldn't buy one because of that.

12-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Where does one get a smartphone with a flippy screen? It's such an absolutely necessary piece of kit for taking any photos, certainly there must be a really nice flagship phone out there with a flippy screen. My iPhone 8 Plus is getting long in the tooth so I won't be upgrading that until I can have that one feature I really want.
I'll admit, I laughed a bit...
My old Nokia had a flippy screen... and I think Samsung's flagship is out now with one (after they delayed release because the folding bit didn't fold very well)...

Someone else mentioned shooting in complete darkness.
I do not shoot in complete darkness, but I will say my K1 has redefined to me what that means, and I expect the K3 III will do the same.

Sure ISO 1.6M is a bit silly on the surface, but what if that means I can get a good 10x15cm print or a decent web page shot at 400,000 ISO with little to no post-processing?

That would be remarkable... and it likely means even better things for the live view, since 1.6M ISO means I can actually see what I'm doing at f9.3 and 1s assuming a 1/60 refresh rate -- it gives me a lot more overhead (it takes me to ISO 25,000 just to get that ISO 1.6M from 1s to 1/60s) and that's not even counting how dark f9.3 is going to be in a viewfinder (that's my 400mm f5.6 and the F1.7x teleconverter)...

-Eric
12-26-2020, 10:48 PM - 2 Likes   #381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does look like they are thinking about tighter integration with smartphones (screenshot from the Albert Siegel review).
Attached Images

12-27-2020, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #382
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
It does look like they are thinking about tighter integration with smartphones (screenshot from the Albert Siegel review).
They already have that on the GR III.

12-27-2020, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #383
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I don't typically shoot in the pitch dark environment but compared to K3ii era yes I shoot in higher ISO than I used to - that is for certain. That being said - I am pretty satisfied with K-1's capability in that regards. I still think that in the end it is about IQ and the batting average of the camera in that how much of what you shoot is good for keeps. Lots of factors going into that other than the sensor capability (SR AF etc). So I agree that functionality (or the improvement in) plays a role to a certain degree. Mind you, what one gets out of his or her camera varies from one user to another too. I can definitely convince myself enough justification to jump on K3iii if you have not upgraded in 5 years. For me - I need to see the files compared to that of K-1 to make up my mind.

---------- Post added 12-27-20 at 06:25 AM ----------

I am not saying that they should or have. I am just saying that for me I can't make up my mind until I see some legit files. In fact, I need to not only see them on my monitor but print them for inspection.
Let's be honest. When the camera hits the shelves and folks starting taking photos, you won't be able to resist for long, will you?

The Ricoh Jedi mind tricks have a way of increasing the appeal of items when they are available.
12-27-2020, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #384
Forum Member

I really enjoy my KP, a dramatic improvement over the K-5IIs. Unfortunately, it lacks in two of the areas important to the type of photography upon which I concentrate. My preferred subjects are military aviation and birds. The KP autofocus and burst/buffer rates are a bit lacking for me. The KP stops shooting to clear the buffer while my son with his Sony A7RIII and my wife with her Fuji X-T1 are still happily getting shots. Why not switch? I like the unique features of Pentax (green button, TAv mode, Astrotracer, night mode on the display, etc), plus I have WAY too much money invested in lenses. The K-3III addresses all the weaknesses of the KP (for me) while keeping all the features I love. In Feb/March, the K-5IIs goes in the closet, the KP becomes my backup/second camera, and the K-3III will do most of the work. I'll deal with any changes just like I did when the KP showed up in my house. Of course, I'm just AnotherVoice...
12-27-2020, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #385
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why were my posts excluded??
Because there wasn't room for all 17,890 of them in my post.
12-27-2020, 09:32 AM - 4 Likes   #386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't imagine being that upset about the menu system getting an update. The menus structure on my K-5 isn't bad but it isn't perfect. And there seems to be a number of new functions that simply did not exist 10-ish years ago when the general user experience of cameras like mine was created. Feels like how progress happens.
12-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #387
Pentaxian

The eye sensor seems intriguing

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I can't imagine being that upset about the menu system getting an update. The menus structure on my K-5 isn't bad but it isn't perfect. And there seems to be a number of new functions that simply did not exist 10-ish years ago when the general user experience of cameras like mine was created. Feels like how progress happens.
This is true.

And also it does look quite straight forward, and clean.
12-28-2020, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #389
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’m not one who is looking for putting the K-33 on top of K-1.
That is good. It has no fitting for the accessory shoe.

Sorry, could not resist

Steve
12-28-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #390
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Of course, we'd need paramedics standing by...
I see you remember last time?

Steve
Closed Thread