Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #436
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
So you mean a pop-up flash would raise the price to 2.5K- 3k ? it didn't on the K3 vs 1 or the K5 series ???
Let's stay honest here. You mentioned more than a pop up flash. I recall an articulated screen and GPS in your post (yes, I do try to read what I'm replying to), and adding those THREE features pushes the price up significantly.

12-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #437
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Let's stay honest here. You mentioned more than a pop up flash. I recall an articulated screen and GPS in your post (yes, I do try to read what I'm replying to), and adding those THREE features pushes the price up significantly.
I see...
12-31-2020, 01:27 AM   #438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I think with this K3 III, Pentax is ready to capture a much bigger share of the wedding photography business. I think if this camera does what it says it does on paper, this might finally put to rest the issues about the AF system(and to a lesser extent Video capabilities) on Pentax cameras. Although I still love my K-5 IIs and never saw any reason to jump to the K3, the camera is starting to get a little long-in-the tooth considering the cameras that followed it, such as the (K3, K3 II, K1, K1 II, KP, K70) all with the newest technical advances. I still think I can shoot a wedding with it, but the K3 III, definitely makes things more interesting. What I'm somewhat disappointed at is NO POP-UP FLASH ! Maybe the other features such as better AF, better picture quality, Joy-stick, faster AF and more frames per second will make up for it, but I'm not sure why Pentax cut corners like that ?
I see what you mean. However it is that new prism which does eat all of the space from top of the camera. And there is not any other good spot for it even if they would have even thought of that possibility for this camera. Good thing is that if you’ll go for even bigger flash, top of the camera is solid,not plastic, so flash or remote trigger will sit well on top of the camera.
12-31-2020, 01:40 AM - 7 Likes   #439
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Most pro cameras, regardless of brand, have no pop-up flash. It's an area of potential weakness and ingress. You'll find this across the brands, not just Pentax... It's a design choice, not corner-cutting...
It's also pointless for pro work. Pro camera, pro work = no pop up flash. I fond that even the flashlight from my phone it's a better light source than the pop up flash because I can direct the light in so many ways compared to the pop up flash. Godox TT350 it's a very good source of light for someone who needs additional light without carrying a big flash. It can direct light due to it's rotative head, it has decent power compared to the pop up flash and it has also a radio trigger built in, in case I need a flash on my camera and aditional flashes on stands. Radio triggering it's also a lot more reliable than the optical triggering I get from the pop up flash. For the 200g weight and a price of 80$, I really much prefer it over the pop up flash.

12-31-2020, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Godox TT350
looks good - thanks for the suggestion
12-31-2020, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The last thing I want is the camera being distracted by a squirrel or a bystander in a bikini
Er, yes,clearly the camera getting distracted there
12-31-2020, 01:56 AM   #442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Come on, two out of three of those are in 400€ bodies. It's not a cost-cutting issue, it's that Pentax made it very clear that they wanted the camera to be as compact as humanly possible - flash/capacitor adds a bit of weight and you have to fit the cap somewhere, not to mention that the new prism is larger so the camera would have been too tall with the pop-up on top. The new screen is larger and flush with the (now curved) left side, so making it flippy would have added a couple mm here and there.

I would bet that adding both flash/gps and a flippy screen wouldn't have more than 50€ impact on the body, if they accepted a larger size. It's just against the design brief.

12-31-2020, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #443
Pentaxian

No GPS and flip screen is a bold move, but sometimes such moves are necessary to make a statement. The statement here is a variation of "philosophy over function". I guess we can take it or leave it.

I probably won't be buying this, but it's simply because it's aps-c. I could use a camera that doesn't totally suck when AF tracking along Z axis, but I'm too invested in FF glass to consider the k-3 iii.
12-31-2020, 02:52 AM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
No GPS and flip screen is a bold move, but sometimes such moves are necessary to make a statement. The statement here is a variation of "philosophy over function". I guess we can take it or leave it.

I probably won't be buying this, but it's simply because it's aps-c. I could use a camera that doesn't totally suck when AF tracking along Z axis, but I'm too invested in FF glass to consider the k-3 iii.
Yeah, it's definitely a very focused (hah) product. It's not for me because of the same reasons - moved to the K-1 and I've spent a... well, an amount in FF glass . Can't really sustain two systems and my photography does not require high burst rates or excellent AF tracking, so the K-3iii would be wasted on me. I'm waiting to see the upgrades in the K-1iii.
12-31-2020, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #445
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Have you changed your mind since this post?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/407340-new-aps-c-post5034954.html
12-31-2020, 04:22 AM   #446
Pentaxian

Indeed, I have. Quite a few things changed since then. For example, I have got a silver *50mm for Christmas

Also, rumors about the K-3 iii pricing have lowered my enthusiasm for switching back to crop sensor as well.

Last edited by BarneyL; 12-31-2020 at 04:27 AM.
12-31-2020, 05:19 AM   #447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yeah, it's definitely a very focused (hah) product. It's not for me because of the same reasons - moved to the K-1 and I've spent a... well, an amount in FF glass . Can't really sustain two systems and my photography does not require high burst rates or excellent AF tracking, so the K-3iii would be wasted on me. I'm waiting to see the upgrades in the K-1iii.
What it they will develope fast focusing system for K-1 3? That would be useless too.. i’v thought about it too lately. I can clearly see from my photos that about 30% is where I want K-1 and it really does show it’s strengths. But about 60% would be as good/better if it was with crop body. (Still dreaming about 645 for that 10-30% when ai’d really appreciate that amount of details) Lot of my lenses are perfectly usable with both formats. I’m still looking for some more info to pull that preorder button. But my interest is pretty high by now.
12-31-2020, 05:42 AM   #448
Pentaxian

Don’t forget that an investment in an external device can last ‘forever’. If you get a point-flash or GPS as part of a camera body it will last as long as you use that body - but an external device? I still use a flash unit I got for the “Super Program” is purchased in 1983.

Similarly, you can use various lenses on more than one camera. I purchased film lenses for my K-30, secure in the knowledge that they would be perfectly useable on a K-1 if I ever get one. They are not up-to-date, but they also are not monstrosities that would require their own wheelbarrow or golf cart - I am not out to purchase “perfection”.
12-31-2020, 06:04 AM   #449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
It's also pointless for pro work. Pro camera, pro work = no pop up flash. I fond that even the flashlight from my phone it's a better light source than the pop up flash because I can direct the light in so many ways compared to the pop up flash. Godox TT350 it's a very good source of light for someone who needs additional light without carrying a big flash. It can direct light due to it's rotative head, it has decent power compared to the pop up flash and it has also a radio trigger built in, in case I need a flash on my camera and aditional flashes on stands. Radio triggering it's also a lot more reliable than the optical triggering I get from the pop up flash. For the 200g weight and a price of 80$, I really much prefer it over the pop up flash.
"It's also pointless for pro work. Pro camera, pro work = no pop up flash"

The K3 is NOT a "PRO" camera, it's semi-pro. This is another one of these Dated fallacies like the one that states that 'Natural Light is the "only" way to go'. I spoke to many so-called Pro's and they love the Pop-up Flash. Why ? Because it works for fill-flash on the fly. Also, it can sometimes help balance scenes with high contrast, such as very bright backgrounds. Another is they can set off strobes, or off-camera flash without any extra gear. They don't have to carry another item in their camera bag. You got a point there though with this new Pentaprism there might not be enough room...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 12-31-2020 at 06:24 AM.
12-31-2020, 06:27 AM   #450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
What it they will develope fast focusing system for K-1 3? That would be useless too.. i’v thought about it too lately. I can clearly see from my photos that about 30% is where I want K-1 and it really does show it’s strengths. But about 60% would be as good/better if it was with crop body. (Still dreaming about 645 for that 10-30% when ai’d really appreciate that amount of details) Lot of my lenses are perfectly usable with both formats. I’m still looking for some more info to pull that preorder button. But my interest is pretty high by now.
I'd also have been happy with a KP, I'm sure of it. But I got a K-1 and it does very well everything I need it to do, I love the render of the lenses I have, and the 200 g saved on APS-C aren't that much while hiking
Closed Thread