Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 751 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #511
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have one too, which I purchased after people here recommended it -
but I have an old Vivitar unit, dating back to the late 1980's / early 1990's when I used to photograph our young daughters with my "Super Program".
It has an 'auto' mode, but I find that lamps and windows confuse any flash today, so I usually photograph in 'manual'.
My Vivitar rotates, so I can reflect light off our white ceilings - the'201' is totally fixed. I use the 'Vivitar' when I need light - I found the '201' back in our closet.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4288185

01-01-2021, 10:12 AM - 7 Likes   #512
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Doesn't it have GPS onboard? I thought that's why there's no onboard flash
90% of this thread has been complaining about the camera not having the one feature that guarantees an end to world strife. Depending on the person doing the complaining, that feature could be GPS, an articulated screen or now, it seems, a pop up flash.
01-01-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #513
Veteran Member

I have no doubt that the camera will be excellent in just about every way. I really want to see some AF tests and see what the buffer can handle.
01-01-2021, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #514
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
90% of this thread has been complaining about the camera not having the one feature that guarantees an end to world strife. Depending on the person doing the complaining, that feature could be GPS, an articulated screen or now, it seems, a pop up flash.
I've seen somewhere, someone complaining that it won't take AA batteries.

01-01-2021, 10:44 AM - 5 Likes   #515
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depending on the person doing the complaining, that feature could be GPS, an articulated screen or now, it seems, a pop up flash.
Time flies, doesn't it? Remember the good-old-days, Bill, when people were complaining about the then new K-5 being a consumer/amateur level camera because it had a pop-up flash? "They should have aimed it more for the pro/prosumer market"; or something like that.
01-01-2021, 10:44 AM - 3 Likes   #516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me that you and you and your buddies never stop complaining about people complaining. Actually nobody is complaining just stating their own personal preferences. Is that OK with you oh grand poobah ? 😀
01-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #517
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I have no doubt that the camera will be excellent in just about every way. I really want to see some AF tests and see what the buffer can handle.
And for me the big thing... how fast the buffer clears. the current set up, where you can't change the camera settings for the K-3 until the camera is done processing the 23 shot buffer is unacceptable for a straight action shooter. I've many times seen the first image in a burst come up on the back screen, realized I wanted to adjust the EV, and been unable to do so until the buffer cleared. I don't shoot a lot of action so I live with it, but it is still super annoying when it happens.

If Pentax made a new expensive action camera without addressing that, that would be truly disappointing.

Last edited by normhead; 01-01-2021 at 10:50 AM.
01-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #518
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
It seems to me that you and you and your buddies never stop complaining about people complaining. Actually nobody is complaining just stating their own personal preferences. Is that OK with you oh grand poobah ? 😀
After a time, stating preferences devolves into complaining. That time has long past.
It seems now we are moving from complaining about missing features to personal attacks.
01-01-2021, 11:34 AM - 3 Likes   #519
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh solved the mounted flash problem some 30 years ago. I would love to see it implemented on a modern DSLR. It was called the Ricoh Speedlight PX and it clipped onto the side of my Ricoh XR-M cameras. It was small, weighed hardly anything and works great. Full TTL too. When on the camera it looked like this.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-01-2021, 11:51 AM - 3 Likes   #520
Pentaxian

Can we have a Venn diagram showing the groups that miss one of the three things, if there is some overlap? Then we could start threads where the pop up flashers could fight the geolocators upon which features that are not there and will not come to it are theoretically the higher ranking signs of doom. The flippy screeners could have their own thread to exchange their misery, noone will be tolerated there that actually likes the larger viewfinder and the easy view because of the protrusion of the ocular. People happy with viewfinder would also be banned in the Flash-GPS fight, because the new prism would be the cause for the omission of these...
01-01-2021, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #521
Pentaxian

After a time, stating preferences devolves into complaining. That time has long past.
It seems now we are moving from complaining about missing features to personal attacks.
and "I would never purchase that" statements.
I doubt I would purchase a K-3iii because of financial considerations, but I have a KP that meets all of my needs, so I never was a potential client.
These other areas of complaint are an issue, and these statements should end.
This is not a field camera, and comments should reflect that fact.
01-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s what DPR has to say about the $4,895US Leica SL2-S’s rear screen: “The rear LCD is very nice in terms of spec, though the fact that it's fixed in place might be disappointing to some photographers, especially on what's being pitched as a hybrid camera where you may be shooting waist-level. The 3.2" display offers touch functionality that goes beyond selecting the AF point or scrolling through photos.”

It’ll be interesting to see how they approach the K-3iii’s fixed screen.

With an IP54 weather-sealing rating, you might almost think the SL2-S was a field camera, too.
01-01-2021, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #523
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's no mystery there. It's attached to a Pentax so they aren't going to like it.
01-01-2021, 12:59 PM - 5 Likes   #524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Here’s what DPR has to say about the $4,895US Leica SL2-S’s rear screen: “The rear LCD is very nice in terms of spec, though the fact that it's fixed in place might be disappointing to some photographers, especially on what's being pitched as a hybrid camera where you may be shooting waist-level. The 3.2" display offers touch functionality that goes beyond selecting the AF point or scrolling through photos.”

"We fear that their incredibly misguided decision to have a fixed rear LCD instead of the industry-standard articulated one will be the final nail in Pentax' coffin; with this, we're afraid we cannot expect Pentax to last until the end of the year."
They can copy and paste that in their article.

Alternatively:
"We're sorry to inform you that, since the Pentax K-3 Mark III has a fixed rear LCD, we decided against reviewing it.
After all, what's the point?"
01-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Alternatively:
"We're sorry to inform you that, since the Pentax K-3 Mark III has a fixed rear LCD, we decided against reviewing it.
After all, what's the point?"
That actually would not bother me.
Closed Thread