Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #571
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I guess, but often losing a customer happens at the same time as another company acquires the company, so I'm not seeing how the sequence matters.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

01-03-2021, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #572
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

I'm not so sure of that...

I've heard some medium and smaller sized YouTube camera gear reviewers lament about their inability to get free loaner (or keeper) new model cameras to review.

Maybe a low cost method for Pentax to promote a new camera would be to loan (or just give) select YouTube camera reviewers a new K3iii camera bodiy (and maybe a lens or two) for them to test.

While this might not work with the very biggest YouTube reviewers (those with over 500,000) subscribers (because they are already heavily brand biast), but I suspect it might work with YouTube reviewers with from 50,000 to 500,000 subscribers because those folks don't make much money on YouTube these days and likely don't have the resources to buy/rent new cameras themselves for review.
I don't think Ricoh cares very much about marketing in general and they care even less about marketing outside of Japan. Reviewers have said getting samples has been next to impossible in North America. It might be different in Asia and Europe.
01-03-2021, 01:30 PM - 6 Likes   #573
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't think Ricoh cares very much about marketing in general and they care even less about marketing outside of Japan. Reviewers have said getting samples has been next to impossible in North America. It might be different in Asia and Europe.
Here in the UK, review cameras and lenses are available from any Pentax dealer. Through this scheme, the reviewer simply buys the items new from stock at the prevailing price, then puts them to use in real photographic use cases (i.e. not just on a test bench) for several weeks or months - by which point they should be in a position to compose a balanced and meaningful review, made all the more objective by their personal investment and lengthy testing period. At the end of that period, the reviewer may keep the equipment at no extra charge, sell it for most of what they paid, or trade it in for other review items
01-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #574
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigmackcam Quote
here in the uk, review cameras and lenses are available at any pentax dealer. Through this scheme, the reviewer simply buys the items new from stock at the prevailing price, then puts them to use in real photographic use cases (i.e. Not just on a test bench) for several weeks or months - by which point they should be in a position to compose a balanced and meaningful review, made all the more objective by their personal investment and lengthy testing period. At the end of that period, the reviewer may keep the equipment at no extra charge, sell it for most of what they paid, or trade it in for other review items
rotfl!

01-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I have no idea what you are talking about.
And I have no idea what you're talking about with your assertion that a manufacturer loses customers "first" (I assume you're saying before changing lens mounts?), but I also don't think the sequence matters. Some manufactures have probably changed mounts after losing customers, while others didn't lose customers first. Either scenario may provide an opportunity for customers to move elsewhere.
01-03-2021, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #576
Loyal Site Supporter

When a manufacturer changes direction in lens mounts, it loses customers first.
Canon gambled and won big when they changed mounts in the mid 1980s.
My opinion though is they bald faced lied to their legacy customers, at least in my part of the world.
They said they would support the FD mount, that those users had nothing to worry about.
Two years later they dropped support entirely, to the point a friend of mine with a T90 sent his camera in to repair a dead hot shoe and got back a box of parts and a note that he should buy an EOS.

Were I a Canon user now, I would be very concerned about Canon possibly pulling the same stunt again.

As an aside, they lost my friend as a customer. He sold his FD equipment and bought a bunch of high end Nikon gear, and now uses Fuji.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-03-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Brain fart
01-03-2021, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
And I have no idea what you're talking about with your assertion that a manufacturer loses customers "first" (I assume you're saying before changing lens mounts?), but I also don't think the sequence matters. Some manufactures have probably changed mounts after losing customers, while others didn't lose customers first. Either scenario may provide an opportunity for customers to move elsewhere.
Obviously, I'm saying that they're losing customers first, as an immediate consequence of changing lens mounts. This is guaranteed.
Any recovery, the "winning over customers", might happen later - but that's not a given, it's actually very difficult to build a new user base.

01-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #578
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Canon gambled and won big when they changed mounts in the mid 1980s.
My opinion though is they bald faced lied to their legacy customers, at least in my part of the world.
They said they would support the FD mount, that those users had nothing to worry about.
Two years later they dropped support entirely, to the point a friend of mine with a T90 sent his camera in to repair a dead hot shoe and got back a box of parts and a note that he should buy an EOS.

Were I a Canon user now, I would be very concerned about Canon possibly pulling the same stunt again.

As an aside, they lost my friend as a customer. He sold his EF equipment and bought a bunch of high end Nikon gear, and now uses Fuji.
Yes, Canon did that, and they might succeed again with the RF mount.
They're the top player, they might just have the power to pull it off. But IMO this isn't something that will routinely work, particularly for small players like Pentax.
01-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #579
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're the top player, they might just have the power to pull it off. But IMO this isn't something that will routinely work, particularly for small players like Pentax.
In 1995, I switched from Pentax to Canon because I loved the EF/usm lenses so much more than what Pentax was doing - then stayed with Canon when I switched to digital.
In 2015, I came back to Pentax because of unfortunate experiences with Rebel bodies.
Canon has already released adapters that will enable RF bodies to work with all EF lenses - easy to do because of how they designed the EF mount. Nikon - by contrast - has shown the difficulties Pentax would have; most likely, only KAF3 and KAF4 lenses - of the AF lenses - would still be usable if Pentax made that sort of move - not because of corporate size, but because of technology decisions made almost forty years ago .... the decisions that drove me to Canon in 1995.
01-03-2021, 07:04 PM   #580
Pentaxian

I was very upset when my half-dozen FD lenses were obsoleted in the '80s. I'd switched from Pentax/M42 to Canon a few years before because I'd thought FD was where Canon would stay - but then I thought M42 would be where Pentax would stay when I bought my Spotmatic. Seems like my timing was always off. Then of course after I bought Pentax digital, third-party lens support effectively went away. So my timing has been less than optimal. Canon was the worst of the bunch due to effectively no backward compatibility, but realistically M42 lenses on Pentax K bodies weren't that appealing for general use (and still aren't to me, but I know some people like them.) So changing to limited-compatibility mounts has happened enough now that I guess I'm desensitized to it.
01-03-2021, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Here in the UK, review cameras and lenses are available from any Pentax dealer. Through this scheme, the reviewer simply buys the items new from stock at the prevailing price, then puts them to use in real photographic use cases (i.e. not just on a test bench) for several weeks or months - by which point they should be in a position to compose a balanced and meaningful review, made all the more objective by their personal investment and lengthy testing period. At the end of that period, the reviewer may keep the equipment at no extra charge, sell it for most of what they paid, or trade it in for other review items
Absolutely WELL SAID, Mike......you deserve a big ATTA BOY for this one!!
01-07-2021, 05:17 AM   #582
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like there may be object (animal, cars, birds) tracking? From Tanaka sans tweet
01-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #583
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Looks like there may be object (animal, cars, birds) tracking? From Tanaka sans tweet
The six tweets posted today by Kimio Tanaka:

「PENTAX K-3 III」は今年の春頃に正式発表して発売される予定です(それが夏頃になってもいつものことで驚きませんけど)。
さて、すでに公表されたスペックを読んだりタッチ&トライを試したり説明を受けたりして、その性能、実力の一部が少しわかってきました。製品版で変更があるかもしれません。

ややアテが外れたことの1つは「手持ちリアルレゾリューション」が搭載されていないこと。もう1つは三脚使用のリアルレゾリューションには電子シャッターを利用するのに単独の電子シャッターモードがないことです。発売後のファームウエアのアップデートでの改善に期待したいところです。

逆に"これは良さそうだなあ"と感心したことは、新測光センサー・約30.7万画素のRGB Irセンサーと新画像処理エンジン・PRIME Vを使って人物や鳥、クルマなど被写体認識をしてAFに活用させる機能。さらにAF-Cではディープラーニングも活用して被写体追従にも役立てる機能もあるそうです。

この機能はニコンで既にやってますがPENTAXでは初。ただし実機で試してみないとその実力のほどは不明ですが、期待度は高い。
従来のKシリーズではファインシャープネス、エクストラシャープネスが選択可能だったのですが、その2つを統合して「ファインシャープネス II」としたようで、これも期待大。

タッチ&トライで光学ファインダーを覗いた印象は明るくてクリヤーで視認性が良かったことでした。そもそも明るい光学ファインダーはMFでのピントのヤマが掴みにくく厄介なモノだがK-3 IIIのファインダーは不思議なことにMFでピントが合わせやすかったのも好印象でした。

現在「デジタル一眼レフカメラ」を製造し販売しているのはニコン、キヤノン、リコーだけ(機構上ソニーは除外)。ニコンもキヤノンもここしばらく新製品はなくミラーレスカメラにまっしぐら。そんな状況の中、PENTAXから久しぶりに正統派一眼レフが出てくるわけで、デキの良し悪しにかかわらず愉しみ。
01-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of what might be made available?

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
An English translation would be preferred Mistral, but I'll give you a bit of time to post it.

While waiting the interesting part of the comment is that some of this may be made available to the new K3III via a firmware update sometime after it goes on sale.
01-07-2021, 07:44 AM - 4 Likes   #585
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
is scheduled to be officially announced and released around spring this year (though I wouldn't be surprised if it's around summer, as it always is).
Now that I've read the published specs, tried out the touch and try, and been briefed, I'm starting to understand some of its performance and capabilities. There may be changes in the production version.

One of the things I was somewhat disappointed in was the lack of "handheld real resolution". Another is that the tripod-based Real Resolution does not have a stand-alone electronic shutter mode even though it uses the electronic shutter. I hope this will be improved in the firmware update after the release.

On the other hand, what impressed me as "this looks good" was the ability to use the new 307,000-pixel RGB Ir sensor and the new PRIME V image processing engine to recognize subjects such as people, birds, and cars, and use this for AF. In addition, in AF-C, there is also a function that uses deep learning to help with subject tracking.

Nikon already has this function, but this is a first for Pentax. I'm not sure how good it is until I try it out on an actual camera, but I have high hopes for it.
In the previous K series, Fine Sharpness and Extra Sharpness were selectable, but it seems that the two have been combined to form Fine Sharpness II, which is also highly anticipated.

My impression when I looked through the optical viewfinder during the touch-and-try was that it was bright, clear and highly visible. In the first place, a bright optical viewfinder makes it difficult to focus in MF mode, but the K-3 III's viewfinder was strangely easy to focus in MF mode, which was also a good impression.

Currently, Nikon, Canon and Ricoh are the only manufacturers and sellers of digital SLR cameras (Sony is excluded for mechanical reasons). Neither Nikon nor Canon has released any new products in recent years, and they are moving straight into mirrorless cameras. In such a situation, Pentax is coming out with a legitimate SLR camera for the first time in a long time, and I'm looking forward to it regardless of whether it's good or bad.
Translated with DeepL Translate (free version)
Closed Thread