Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
It has nothing to do with the lens. I could dial in almost any focal length for any manual lens and the camera doesn't know any better, and as far as I can tell it puts whatever value you dial in on the EXIF data.

His problem seems to be that if he dials in 8mm it lists a blank in the EXIF. That has to be a bug in the camera, which you obviously don't think is a bug since Pentax doesn't make 8mm lenses.
Well there buddy, I just put an old K series lens on my K1, dialed in 8mm on start up, took a picture and then looked at the EXIF data on my computer.
In the lens focal length box, it said 8mm, plain as day.
So, while there isn't a bug in the camera, there may be a bug in the wetware of the user of the camera in question.
Now, if his SIGnificant MAlfunction lens is supposed to be informing the camera that it is an 8mm lens, it isn't doing it's job.
Either way, not the fault of the camera. It's either the lens or the user.

01-08-2021, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn’t this thread about a new camera? Lol. I think we drifted off course.
01-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I certainly appreciated it; for some reason I've never seen this, and have been looking for a way to correct the EXIF for my Sigma 8-16!
Just to clarify, I wasn't being cynical. I vaguely remembered that something like this existed. I think what I saw earlier was a more basic, command line thing compared to fs999's GUI effort.
01-10-2021, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #199
Pentaxian

The data for the Sigma 8-16mm always already was in the metadata ("EXIFs"), just in the wrong place, in the makernotes, not actually the exif section.

The command
Code:
-exif:FocalLength<copy2:FocalLength
in exiftool always did solve that little problem caused by Sigma. That is what worked on the K-5 I at that time.

01-10-2021, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It sounds like his lens isn't playing nice with the camera and he decided to erroneously pin the blame on his camera body.
There is a reason why Sigma is short for significant malfunction.
I love the acronym .
01-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The data for the Sigma 8-16mm always already was in the metadata ("EXIFs"), just in the wrong place, in the makernotes, not actually the exif section.

The command
Code:
-exif:FocalLength<copy2:FocalLength
in exiftool always did solve that little problem caused by Sigma. That is what worked on the K-5 I at that time.
Pentax doesn't usually write to any place but maker notes if I recall correctly and that should be where most processing programs pick up their focal lens information from. So you may not see it in EXIF data.
01-10-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
I love the acronym .
Apparently an accurate one in this instance.
01-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #203
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Pentax doesn't usually write to any place but maker notes if I recall correctly and that should be where most processing programs pick up their focal lens information from. So you may not see it in EXIF data.
Is that so? I don't remember it this way although it has been years since I played with EXIF...

01-10-2021, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Is that so? I don't remember it this way although it has been years since I played with EXIF...
Correction, Pentax writes the focal length if available to the EXIF but not the Lens Model used which is only written to the Maker Notes. For instance, I use Flickr for my online posting of images and if I don't write the lens Info to the EXIF lens model field Flickr does not display the Lens Model used.
01-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Correction, Pentax writes the focal length if available to the EXIF but not the Lens Model used which is only written to the Maker Notes. For instance, I use Flickr for my online posting of images and if I don't write the lens Info to the EXIF lens model field Flickr does not display the Lens Model used.
Could you write a script to copy whatever is in that position in the maker notes to the Exif?

-Eric
01-10-2021, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Could you write a script to copy whatever is in that position in the maker notes to the Exif?

-Eric
Didn't Frederic do that already? (I think he mentioned it earlier in this thread).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/61-post-processing-articles/233821-sigma...ml#post5178192
01-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally an explanation of what I have noticed!
01-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #208
Pentaxian

If you have OS-X or Linux, you can use exiftool like this :
QuoteQuote:
exiftool -f -a -m -P -focallength=8.00 -focallengthin35mmformat=12.00 -overwrite_original_in_place filename.dng
01-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #209
Pentaxian

-Eric
You do not need a script nor another .exe file download from the internet.

If you have exiftool somewhere on your drive you can easily create a windows shortcut with the command line for exiftool and you just need to drag and drop your images onto it.
01-20-2021, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #210
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
If you have OS-X or Linux, you can use exiftool like this :
Easily written scripts are one of the strengths of operating systems based on UNIX.