Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I think that this differs from K7 - K3ii in that you can set the aperture and use AV or Tav to get correct exposure. Unless I'm mistaken, trying this on a previous version only works with the aperture wide open. Does that seem right or am I confused about how things work now.
There is a long running thread on this very subject [New Product Story Vol.8] Aperture coupler is (sorta) back! - PentaxForums.com

The article you linked to indicates that Av and TAv mode will work with manual lenses with correct exposure and selected aperture. This is indeed different from previous cameras, where any auto mode would default to Av at wide open aperture only.

It appears the new camera will perform a stop-down metering in Av and TAv mode and take a picture using the aperture selected on the lens.

The stop-down metering is the same as the green button method used in manual mode , but in the new camera will occur automatically in Av/TAv mode.

No confusion at all on your part

12-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Thanks for the replies, sorry I missed the other thread. Thanks to the mod who moved it.

This is a great feature. I'm excited about this camera.
12-31-2020, 02:45 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K10D (first model with SR) also supported 8mm. At least I was able to set such with my Rokinon 8mm fisheye.
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Hmm... I'm not sure exactly what to think. One of the reports for the 8-16mm Sigma complains of the problem, states using the K-3 but does not state that the problem is absent on the K-3:
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
There is still the problem at 8mm with the K-1I (latest firmware) writing 0.0mm in the Exif Focal Length information...

I made a little Windows program which can search all the photos (Raw and Jpeg) in a directory and correct the information.
It also show all the Exif informations of a photo : Sigma 8-16mm modifier program.

Last edited by fs999; 12-31-2020 at 03:15 AM.
01-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
A very nice feature. Bypassing the green button is time efficient.
For me, the green button is a non-issue.
I certainly wouldn’t replace my KP because of it.

01-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now I hope the focusing screen will be easier to change. And Pentax can provide some nice precision focusing screens for the new camera, to take fully advantage of the large OVF and the "virtual aperture coupler"
01-01-2021, 11:36 PM   #141
Pentaxian

This is cool. I hope this feature is added to the next FF camera (whenever thats released)
01-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Now I hope the focusing screen will be easier to change. And Pentax can provide some nice precision focusing screens for the new camera, to take fully advantage of the large OVF and the "virtual aperture coupler"
I actually don't know, but I would assume the focussing screen might not be exchangable, as the construction with the LCD overlay might make this not possible.
How is it for the K-1? I think this is the first Pentax DSLR with this overlay?

01-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That is how it worked on my Z1 with a manual lens. Open aperture metering in Av mode with the shutter speed visible in the viewfinder.
On a Z1, it works with A/F/FA with aperture on anything else than A too.
01-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I actually don't know, but I would assume the focussing screen might not be exchangable, as the construction with the LCD overlay might make this not possible.
How is it for the K-1? I think this is the first Pentax DSLR with this overlay?
The larger - and brighter - viewfinder should make focusing easier in any case.
01-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The larger - and brighter - viewfinder should make focusing easier in any case.
Only if an appropriate focusing screen is installed. If I decided to mount K 50/1.2 on the new camera and use real-time stop-down metering, I will wish I could focus accurately with a precision screen or a split screen. But I know, if an overlay info screen sits on the focusing screen, it will be very hard to change it quickly.

If Pentax is trying to make metering with M/K lenses easier, they probably still remember MF shooters.
01-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Only if an appropriate focusing screen is installed. If I decided to mount K 50/1.2 on the new camera and use real-time stop-down metering, I will wish I could focus accurately with a precision screen or a split screen. But I know, if an overlay info screen sits on the focusing screen, it will be very hard to change it quickly.

If Pentax is trying to make metering with M/K lenses easier, they probably still remember MF shooters.
Calibrate your eyes.
I usually know without ‘chimping’ whether I have “nailed” focus.
01-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
But, but, but, there is no flippy screen or maybe no GPS!!
But I use GPS on 95%+ of my photos . Is it possible that a smart phone link via blue tooth could provide GPS ? Better bird in flight pics combined with direction and location make the most sense .
01-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Just a guess, but I could imagine that the overlay might give you focus confirmation in manual focus mode. The granularity of 101 points might make something like that quite useful.
01-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Calibrate your eyes.
I usually know without ‘chimping’ whether I have “nailed” focus.
God is calibrating my eyes but apparently in a wrong way

But even before he decides to start recalibrating, "nail" focusing with the default AF focusing screen is not possible if shoot at 1.2 or 1.4. You can guess, but you can not know for sure if you have nailed focus without looking at the final image.

Of course, we didn't shoot at F 1.2 that often on film cameras --- part of the reasons is we knew we were going to miss a lot

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
101 points might make something like that quite useful
On Pentax, to do that, we will have to set the camera at AF and use focus confirmation or trapping. It will work, but not as fast and confident.

Canon always provides precision screens for high end cameras, when shooters need fast lenses, for exactly the same reason.
01-02-2021, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On Pentax, to do that, we will have to set the camera at AF and use focus confirmation or trapping. It will work, but not as fast and confident.
My eyes are not what they were, and I find I can use focus confirmation faster than trying to get it right with my eyesight. Added bonus of course is the instant review which you can zoom to check your focus.

This was hend-held with M* 300mm f4, using focus confirmation.......