Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's more intelligent than thinking Pentax should support a product from a competing company.
It was an oversight with the K-1, since my K-3ii happily promotes competitor's products by allowing me to dial in the appropriate focal length for my Rokinon 8mm fisheye. And apparently most every other Pentax body does the same thing.

01-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's more intelligent than thinking Pentax should support a product from a competing company.
So why is the Exif giving 500mm with my Sigma 150-500 at 500, Pentax don't make a 500mm lens...
01-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
So why is the Exif giving 500mm with my Sigma 150-500 at 500, Pentax don't make a 500mm lens...
Since the SR setting is only for older lenses, I'd wager this one is the culprit SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

(BTW, my K-1 happily sets 8mm)
01-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I will consider Sigma, Tamron, zeiss... as "supporting company, not competing ones. They have stopped making PK mount for quite a while and it is our unfortunate.
Third party lens makers are in direct competition with the first party ones. For every lens that a third party maker sells, the first party manufacturer (that's the camera manufacturer) sells one less lens.
It is totally unrealistic to expect first party support for third party equipment.

01-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Since the SR setting is only for older lenses, I'd wager this one is the culprit SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

My K-1 also has no problem with 8mm - all the way up to 2000mm: guess that was a mirror lens??
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G977B  Photo 
01-06-2021, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #186
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
They did at one time.
If you are getting the correct information in your EXIF from a third party lens, be happy, but don't tee off on Pentax for failing to support some focal length they have never produced.
It may be that your lens isn't transmitting good information.
Either way, it's quite the First World problem you have on your hands. I hope you can get over it without too much angst.

---------- Post added Jan 6th, 2021 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I don't know Mr. Wheatfield but it looks perfectly focused to me. Great photo by the way, I forgot you had bought the new 85. So you love it obviously
Oh yes, I'm quite smitten with it. In the above picture, I was surprised that the glasses frame is as sharp as it is, since I had the focus point on the near eye. I was expecting it to be a bit soft. The previous shot that I had taken showed a very in focus frame and a somewhat soft eye.
01-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was surprised that the glasses frame is as sharp as it is, since I had the focus point on the near eye.
It looks camera was focusing on glass frame. Her eyebrow is still sharp enough because she bent her neck and eyebrow was close to the focal plane. Her eye was not as sharp as glass frame.
Unless using CDAF and eye-detect focusing, DSLR is not so smart, at least so far, and likes to focus on the more contrasty part in the focus area.

01-06-2021, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Third party lens makers are in direct competition with the first party ones. For every lens that a third party maker sells, the first party manufacturer (that's the camera manufacturer) sells one less lens.

It is totally unrealistic to expect first party support for third party equipment.
Except that third party manufacturers often make lenses and other accessories that the camera manufacturer doesn't. When I bought my Rokinon fisheye or my Yongnuo flash it wasn't a choice between those and Pentax equivalents. It was those or save my money for something else, maybe not even photo gear.

I'm sure quite a few people are still happily shooting with Pentax bodies because they could get third party stuff Pentax doesn't sell.

01-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony opened its E mount standard, which helped them dramatically when E mount was just released. For quite a while, Sigma's 30 and 60mm were my favorite lenses on NEX-5. And, the reasons I bought NEX-5 were: 1) I could use it as an universal digital back for many many old lenses I have in the storage and 2) sigma 19,30, and 60 are sharp, reasonable fast, and very very low priced even new. For long time, Sigma 30 and 60, and Sony 16 were the only AF E-mount lenses I had. Sigma's support definitely made my NEX-5 purchase easier.

I will not say it is "totally unrealistic". And for Pentax particular, gaining 3rd party lens/flash support is very critical, and pentax should make it easier, not harder.
01-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #190
Pentaxian

I purchased a Sigma 10-20mm lens because Pentax made zero lenses in that focal-length range - they made several that overlapped it, but none that matched it.
01-07-2021, 03:50 AM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
My K-1 also has no problem with 8mm - all the way up to 2000mm: guess that was a mirror lens??
Does it put that focal length in the EXIF? It's an honest question because I have heard folks complain about the 8mm focal length not being put in the EXIF with lenses like the Sigma 8-16mm and I don't personally own a lens that goes that wide. My widest lens is the DFA 15-30mm (which is plenty wide for me).
01-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Not automatically from the lens info ! I can't set the focal length manually...

Either way, it's quite the First World problem you have on your hands. I hope you can get over it without too much angst.
I'm not afraid about that. I made a program to correct that...
01-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does it put that focal length in the EXIF? It's an honest question because I have heard folks complain about the 8mm focal length not being put in the EXIF with lenses like the Sigma 8-16mm and I don't personally own a lens that goes that wide. My widest lens is the DFA 15-30mm (which is plenty wide for me).
My K-3ii and K-30 both are good with 8mm and 1000mm. Dialing in and showing in EXIF.
01-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My K-3ii and K-30 both are good with 8mm and 1000mm. Dialing in and showing in EXIF.
It sounds like his lens isn't playing nice with the camera and he decided to erroneously pin the blame on his camera body.
There is a reason why Sigma is short for significant malfunction.
01-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like his lens isn't playing nice with the camera and he decided to erroneously pin the blame on his camera body.
There is a reason why Sigma is short for significant malfunction.
It has nothing to do with the lens. I could dial in almost any focal length for any manual lens and the camera doesn't know any better, and as far as I can tell it puts whatever value you dial in on the EXIF data.

His problem seems to be that if he dials in 8mm it lists a blank in the EXIF. That has to be a bug in the camera, which you obviously don't think is a bug since Pentax doesn't make 8mm lenses.