QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
the Knew, oops K-3III
I prefer to call it K-twee-twee.

Steve

12-31-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting this video! Super nice, great to see in body video stabilization, for all of those people who won't really shoot video but complain about it.

I'm really excited about this camera. My budget is nil right now (renos), but hope to get a copy this year.
12-31-2020, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I prefer to call it K-twee-twee.

Steve
K33 is fastest to write!
12-31-2020, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #184
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
K33 is fastest to write!
K- birdbird

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-31-2020 at 05:56 PM.
01-01-2021, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nonsense. Fast frame rate was never promised for the K-1; nor higher pixel density, nor small size and lighter weight.
FF's advantages are very real, now those have to be judged against each individual's needs - but they don't disappear just because someone needs a faster frame rate.
Similarly, the K-3 Mark III's speed advantage is very real, and won't disappear just because X on the Internet only shoots landscapes.
The K-1 II has very real benefits with regard to high iso performance over APS-C cameras currently in the line up. It is possible that the K-3 III will match or exceed those, but for the moment it is king of the hill. It also does really well for landscape and portraiture.

It is not a high speed camera though. I think with that sensor and processing engine, 4.5 fps and the current buffer is what you are stuck with. It kept the price down on the initial release of the K-1, but certainly it is getting long in the tooth.

I would expect many of the K-3 III improvements to make their way to the K-1 III (better AF, bigger buffer, faster cards, better video) but it probably won't do anything close to 12 fps -- if you need that sort of speed then it will still be better to go with APS-C.
01-01-2021, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K-1 II has very real benefits with regard to high iso performance over APS-C cameras currently in the line up. It is possible that the K-3 III will match or exceed those, but for the moment it is king of the hill. It also does really well for landscape and portraiture.

It is not a high speed camera though. I think with that sensor and processing engine, 4.5 fps and the current buffer is what you are stuck with. It kept the price down on the initial release of the K-1, but certainly it is getting long in the tooth.

I would expect many of the K-3 III improvements to make their way to the K-1 III (better AF, bigger buffer, faster cards, better video) but it probably won't do anything close to 12 fps -- if you need that sort of speed then it will still be better to go with APS-C.
Even something like 8 fps for Next K-1 would be pretty good.
01-01-2021, 08:36 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Even something like 8 fps for Next K-1 would be pretty good.
And should be possible with K-3-new tech. The big question being, will they put a decent sized buffer with it. Waiting for the buffer to clear on a K-1 is excruciating if there are things happening. A least with the K-3 23 shot buffer, I feel like I get my licks in before it shuts down. But really, why should a camera ever shut down. That's simply unacceptable for pros, and a major source of irritation for amateurs. I paid to use the camera to take images. Who wants a camera that only does that when it's not busy doing something else? They are part time cameras... the rest of the time the are development and image processing labs.

Last edited by normhead; 01-01-2021 at 08:43 AM.
01-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the sweet spot for my style and where I will purchase if I ever go FF.

Steve
I would also prefer 24mp "FF" - but I doubt I will ever get one.
If I did get one, I would probably use it with lenses 'left over' from the film era - lenses that basically do get unused now, such as the five 50mm lenses I have now.
01-01-2021, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And should be possible with K-3-new tech. The big question being, will they put a decent sized buffer with it. Waiting for the buffer to clear on a K-1 is excruciating if there are things happening. A least with the K-3 23 shot buffer, I feel like I get my licks in before it shuts down. But really, why should a camera ever shut down. That's simply unacceptable for pros, and a major source of irritation for amateurs. I paid to use the camera to take images. Who wants a camera that only does that when it's not busy doing something else? They are part time cameras... the rest of the time the are development and image processing labs.
I'm not sure why size of buffer is important for a 'field' camera - there is no reason to take a burst of a mushroom that is not going anywhere.
01-01-2021, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #190
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure why size of buffer is important for a 'field' camera - there is no reason to take a burst of a mushroom that is not going anywhere.
When it's the only FF option for a dedicated Pentax user a K1 ends up being used for a lot more than mushrooms. Mine gets used for landscapes, portraiture, birds, family shots (including family pets and grandkids), concerts...

I've had a couple of instances, particularly at concerts/band events, where a bigger buffer and one faster to clear would have made me a far happier man.
01-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've had a couple of instances, particularly at concerts/band events, where a bigger buffer and one faster to clear would have made me a far happier man.
and some kind of K-3 would have made you even happier.
The K-3iii is an event camera - the K-1 is a field camera.
Do not judge one by standards which should apply to the other.
01-01-2021, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #192
Loyal Site Supporter

and some kind of K-3 would have made you even happier.
The K-3iii is an event camera - the K-1 is a field camera.
I don't need a K3, I have a K-70

But I may end up with a K3III as well and still carry a K1 as it's partner.

I always carry two cameras to an event, each set up with lenses for their intended use (Ie a 50-135 on crop and fixed 77 or 85 on FF). That doesn't prevent one camera's buffer filling before the burst I want is complete. Needs are unpredictable when you go out for even a planned shoot, you know that. Y

You use your camera differently than I use mine and with a different focus, so our wants will of course be different too. A full-frame user needing a bigger buffer with certain events is not unusual, no more so than you having no desire for it is.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-01-2021 at 09:44 AM.
01-01-2021, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would also prefer 24mp "FF" - but I doubt I will ever get one.
If I did get one, I would probably use it with lenses 'left over' from the film era - lenses that basically do get unused now, such as the five 50mm lenses I have now.
In terms of " reduced obsolescence, and the K-1 >> K-1 II conversion service - it would be really great to have a "modular" deployment of the next FF with a plug and play swap out sensor - 40 or 50 MPix for the landscape crowd, and a 24 MPix version for the event / reportage photog.

Buy the body, customize the guts..
01-01-2021, 09:39 AM - 3 Likes   #194
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I always carry two cameras to an event. That doesn't prevent one camera's buffer filling before the burst I want is complete. Needs are unpredictable when you go out for even a planned shoot, you know that.
It wouldn't matter how many cameras and lenses I carried to an event, I can virtually guarantee the ones I actually need would be at home
01-01-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #195
Pentaxian

I don't need a K3, I have a K-70

But I may end up with a K3III as well and still carry a K1 as it's partner.

I always carry two cameras to an event. That doesn't prevent one camera's buffer filling before the burst I want is complete. Needs are unpredictable when you go out for even a planned shoot, you know that.
My last sentence still applies.
Do not judge the K-3iii for not having a "flippy" LCD.
Do not judge the K-1 for having a buffer slow to empty.
Do not judge the K-1 for putting fewer pixels on a distant subject.
In each case, the camera body is being used for a task it was not built for.

Last edited by reh321; 01-01-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Closed Thread