Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 535 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2021, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Or you could just use DXO PhotoLab 4.1.1 and crank up the DeepPrime AI noise reduction and not worrying about having to brush anything thing to get excellent High ISO images. I still haven't really started cranking my K-3 ISO up much but PL has made my processing so much easier and shortens my time in front of my laptop. Its hard to start getting used to shooting at the upper useable ISO range.....Old habits are hard to break

Exactly. Except that I'm usually happy with what I get with DeepPrime at the magic-wand default levels, so no need to unduly sacrifice detail at all IMO. All three shot with my K-3 at ISO 5000:

That said, can't wait to see what will be possible with the K-3 III in the high-ISO department ...

01-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The astronomer web-site didn't see any detail lost
Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck
RE, the K-1II never entered the discussion, we were discussing DXO PhotoLab 4.1.1 DeepPrime noise reduction not the capabilities of the K-1II. Thanks for posting the link though.
01-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #228
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RE, the K-1II never entered the discussion, we were discussing DXO PhotoLab 4.1.1 DeepPrime noise reduction not the capabilities of the K-1II. Thanks for posting the link though.
A deep discussion of "PP" is inappropriate here, so I thought this discussion was primarily about what the 'accelerator' leaves to be done.
My point is that - based on past experience - no noise will remain up to about ISO 200K, and no details will be erased.

Last edited by reh321; 01-05-2021 at 10:44 AM.
01-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #229
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You were also discussing it off-topic in a K3III thread. Please note my previous post referring you to our forum section on
Digital Processing, Software, and Printing - PentaxForums.com
if you wish to continue the DxO discussion.

01-05-2021, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #230
Pentaxian

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with PhotoLab 4.1.1
I've just started using PhotoLab 4, and the noise reduction is mind blowing. I've just started re-processing some old K10D pictures shot at ISO 800 and 1600, and now I can lift the shadows somewhat without destroying the images with noise!
01-05-2021, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Exactly. Except that I'm usually happy with what I get with DeepPrime at the magic-wand default levels, so no need to unduly sacrifice detail at all IMO. All three shot with my K-3 at ISO 5000:

That said, can't wait to see what will be possible with the K-3 III in the high-ISO department ...
Marc, you images are great examples of what DeepPrime at the default setting can do! This breathes new life into cameras like the K-3 and if the K-3 A/F and tracking were more capable I wouldn't even consider the K-3 MkIII right now but I am looking forward to the K-3 MkIII too!!
01-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter

...Final warning on the discussion of photo processing in this thread before posts get removed and warnings meted out.

01-05-2021, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
...Final warning on the discussion of photo processing in this thread before posts get removed.

Sorry, just couldn't resist. I usually try to stay on topic. With its BSI sensor, Accelerator Unit and all, I wouldn't be surprised if the K-3 III gave us 1 or 2 stops more of perfectly usuable high-ISO room. (Mere speculation at this point, of course.)
01-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
...Final warning on the discussion of photo processing in this thread before posts get removed and warnings meted out.
Shut it down, this thread hasn't been on topic for at least 15 pages with multiple guilty parties discussing all sorts of off topic subjects.
01-05-2021, 03:50 PM - 3 Likes   #235
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
**inappropriate comment deleted by mod**
This should be interesting.......

Last edited by Parallax; 01-05-2021 at 04:28 PM.
01-05-2021, 04:20 PM - 4 Likes   #236
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sometimes it's just better to ignore a comment or two
My wife tells her friends that's how we've managed to make it past 25 years without a lethal incident.
01-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
if you need that sort of speed then it will still be better to go with APS-C.
Or you use an FF camera in crop mode.

Even the K-1 II sports a decent 6.5fps when used in APS-C mode.

Personally, I hope it won't take too long for Ricoh to produce a successor to the K-1 II.
01-05-2021, 08:04 PM - 4 Likes   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I hope not.

I was active in another photo discussion forum in which "moderation" was vested only in the owner.
He treated it as a 9-to-5 job, and as a result little was moderate except when he was around.
The atmosphere is much better here.

added: No, I didn't post this as a means of currying favor with the moderators, but I do think they do a good job, and I don't say that nearly often enough, so I'll take this opportunity to say so despite the times I create work for them to do.

Last edited by reh321; 01-05-2021 at 08:46 PM.
01-06-2021, 03:43 AM   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Or you use an FF camera in crop mode.

Even the K-1 II sports a decent 6.5fps when used in APS-C mode.

Personally, I hope it won't take too long for Ricoh to produce a successor to the K-1 II.
Sure. I still expect the K-3 III to be faster than the K-1 III, even in crop mode. I don't happen to need really fast frame rates. If they just take care of the slow buffer issues with the K-1 I would be fine with it. I know they'll add other things as well, but I am not an action photographer by any means.
01-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure. I still expect the K-3 III to be faster than the K-1 III, even in crop mode. I don't happen to need really fast frame rates. If they just take care of the slow buffer issues with the K-1 I would be fine with it. I know they'll add other things as well, but I am not an action photographer by any means.
I suspect that the "slow buffer" issues are connected to the processor.
Hopefully the K-3iii uses a new processor, which will propagate through new camera bodies.
Closed Thread