Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 535 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2021, 08:45 AM - 10 Likes   #301
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
One of the few shops who sell Pentax in Finland has it listed:

We are class B customers here. Prices are not what one would expect them to be. At this level, it does not make much sense for crop Pentax owners to buy MK3. It is cheaper to sell current crop camera and lenses, then buy K-1 and some used (or even new) K-mount FF lenses.

Used K-1 MK1 bodies sell well under 1k€. You can purchase K-1 MK1 + HD24-70 lens (new if they are on sale) and still have few euros left compared to new K-3 MK3 body only.
It doesn't make much sense to buy a full frame K-1II if you want high resolution on an APS-C capture area, high-fps deep-buffer continuous shooting, more advanced metering, almost frame-wide 101-point AF, 4K video with sensor stabilisation, in a body that's smaller and lighter and uses smaller lenses - to mention just a few K-3III specifics. We've discussed this many times before in these forums, Matti... The K-1II and K-3III share similarities in that they're both K-mount digital SLRs, but they're different tools that are ideally suited to different use cases and requirements. Choosing one over the other just because it's cheaper or seems to be better value due to the "bigger sensor = better camera" fallacy is a simplistic and poor basis for decision, and might result in the photographer buying the wrong camera to fit their personal requirements...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-21-2021 at 09:30 AM.
01-21-2021, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
This is correct on the financial mathematical level. On the other hand, the KP is sold by Ricoh in Japan for 140.250,00 Yen (incl. VAT), in the USA for 699,95 USD (+VAT) and in Germany for 1.099,00 EUR (incl. VAT).

The exchange rate would rather relate to 1.355,66 USD (incl. VAT) 1.116,32 EUR.
Conclusion 1: There seems to be more to pricing in different markets than the exchange rate
Conclusion 2: The Yen price seems to be the upper limit. In Europe you can practically also get it for less than the list price. At least some time after introduction.

Edit: okay, basically repeated what others where saying and posting quicker
Just a slight correction, the US has no value added tax (VAT) only sales tax that varies from state to state.
01-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #303
Veteran Member

They had K-1 MK2 preorder price just right in 2018 when I bought it. Very reliable and consistent Pentax seller. I would not be surprised if it actually sells for 1999€.
01-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So, K-1 sized crop body. Price about the ~same. Next K-1 will heavily overlap this one when used in crop mode.
I don't think so.

01-21-2021, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the few shops who sell Pentax in Finland has it listed:

We are class B customers here. Prices are not what one would expect them to be. At this level, it does not make much sense for crop Pentax owners to buy MK3. It is cheaper to sell current crop camera and lenses, then buy K-1 and some used (or even new) K-mount FF lenses.

Used K-1 MK1 bodies sell well under 1k€. You can purchase K-1 MK1 + HD24-70 lens (new if they are on sale) and still have few euros left compared to new K-3 MK3 body only.
You're approaching this with the attitude that Full Frame is always better than APS-C. But that's not the case, certainly not for all use cases.

I've mentioned many times that one of my primary uses for my camera is to photograph my kids' soccer matches. For me to go FF I'd have to pick up a K-1 or K-1ii along with the 150-450 and probably either the 70-200 f/2.8 or the 70-210 f/4. Selling all of my APS-C equipment I could get a used K-1, but not any of the lenses unless I got a really good deal on something used. Then I'd have a camera with a much lower frame rate than the K-3 iii, I'd have a kit that's at least twice as heavy and much larger than a K-3iii and a 55-300 PLM. And I'd have a setup with (probably) dramatically worse autofocus performance. Yes, I'd arguably have a little better absolute image quality for the shots I can take and get in focus, but with substantial negative tradeoffs.

For me and my typical use cases the K-3iii makes much more sense than going FF, even if the new camera costs close to $2000.
01-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #306
Veteran Member

No I do not say FF is best solution for everything as it has wrong aspect ratio to begin with. My point of view is that Pentax *excels* at base ISO imaging. Therefore:

1) Sell all crop gear
2) For tripod (or otherwise slow paced shooting), get used K-1 MK1 and few suitable FF-lenses
3) For anything else, switch to mirrorless

Has it been proven/hinted by a 3rd party that K-3 MK3 improves AF (tracking)? And IF it does, with what lenses? How will the old screw/SDM drives respond? What are the other reasons to buy the MK3? Better IQ? Sure bet against K-3 MK2, not so sure against KP. KP pulled quite a stunt with its base ISO IQ.
01-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #307
Pentaxian

They had K-1 MK2 preorder price just right in 2018 when I bought it. Very reliable and consistent Pentax seller. I would not be surprised if it actually sells for 1999€.
I made preorder of K-1 original. They did give a bundle to little a bit have give/take space(I presume, because my bundle was changed a bit before I got the camera). That said, they should have a picture about what is it going to be. Then again. Ricoh obviously already lowered a bit original estimate..

---------- Post added 01-21-21 at 18:41 ----------

No I do not say FF is best solution for everything as it has wrong aspect ratio to begin with. My point of view is that Pentax *excels* at base ISO imaging. Therefore:

1) Sell all crop gear
2) For tripod (or otherwise slow paced shooting), get used K-1 MK1 and few suitable FF-lenses

Has it been proven/hinted by a 3rd party that K-3 MK3 improves AF (tracking)? And IF it does, with what lenses? How will the old screw/SDM drives respond? What are the other reasons to buy the MK3? Better IQ? Sure bet against K-3 MK2, not so sure against KP. KP pulled quite a stunt with its base ISO IQ.
I’d say it is good to wait for a while. They are on accelerator mk.II too. K-P high ISO has some of it’s merit coming from Accelerator chip mk.1

01-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #308
Pentaxian

1) Sell all crop gear
You have very strong opinions very strongly stated.
Perhaps this is true in your frozen climate.
My opinion is different.
For moving animals, I find hand-held photography with a KP to completely adequate.
For objects not moving, I have found that known details are not lost by a KP even at higher ISO values.
01-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #309
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No I do not say FF is best solution for everything as it has wrong aspect ratio to begin with. My point of view is that Pentax *excels* at base ISO imaging. Therefore:1) Sell all crop gear2) For tripod (or otherwise slow paced shooting), get used K-1 MK1 and few suitable FF-lenses3) For anything else, switch to mirrorlessHas it been proven/hinted by a 3rd party that K-3 MK3 improves AF (tracking)? And IF it does, with what lenses? How will the old screw/SDM drives respond? What are the other reasons to buy the MK3? Better IQ? Sure bet against K-3 MK2, not so sure against KP. KP pulled quite a stunt with its base ISO IQ.
Mouah. YMMV. There are quite a few modern lenses for Pentax apsc: DA*11-18, DA 55-300PLM, DFA 70-210 (quick focus), D-FA 150-450 also works on crop bodies, and perhaps a new 16-50 released along the K3 III.

I'm not so concerned for people who prefer using an apsc DSLR. Personally, I prefer sensor as large as possible (FF squeezed to the max, e.g pixel shift/stitching or 100Mp MF system) as dedicated high resolution system on solid tripod, and if I get an apsc again it's going to be a mirrorless in the bag with a couple of sharp small primes for casual travel and street shooting. I wouldn't mind a new apsc DSLR used with a long lens because the body size of apsc DSLR better handle and better balance with long lens than a mirrorless crop such as Fuji or Sony would. There are products suited for every use case and photography use cases are rather diverse, so, it depends...
01-21-2021, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Sell all crop gear

For me, I'm going to kick that can a few years down the road with the K-3iii. If the autofocus performance is anything like it's being billed, I think I'll be pretty happy with the new APS-C and the 55-300PLM. Perhaps the 16-50 PLM in the future, and I can dream of a 50-135PLM.

If I follow your path I'll be spending months and months trying to sell off everything in pieces, and then switch systems for theoretical gains in some areas with mirrorless, after I've learned the new system and spent a bunch of money. I think the far easier solution is to just buy the new camera that appears to be designed for my shooting style. Then in 3, 4, 5 years maybe my kids won't be playing sports and I'll figure out what, if any, requirements aren't being met by what system I have then.

What you're saying is that nobody should buy a K-3iii, so Pentax probably is doomed after all. I'm a little surprised that there's a market for a Pentax camera designed for me. But we'll see.
01-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #311
Veteran Member

It's all about price. At $1995 USD, you have got to be kidding. A Fuji XT-4 is $1795, and a Sony A7r3 was $1995 on sale over the Holidays.

Not everyone needs a full frame, I get that, but I very much doubt the new K33 will have an af system that even comes close to the 4 year old A7r3.

On the other hand, $1700 is competitive in the market today, and at around $1200, I'd be interested.

And sub $1000 I'd pre-order one. But that's me, and now that I have a lot of experience with Fuji and all my needs satisfied with Sony, it would take a lot to lure me back. When you can spend $239USD on a Samyang 35mm f2.8 full frame lens that is tack sharp on a 60mp camera with fast silent accurate AF, it's a brave new world...

So what I'm saying is it looks to be a great camera all around, but price is everything in a very very very competitive marketplace.
01-21-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the price of the K-3iii is 1999€, that's almost $2500, and they will sell four of them. I'm the target market for this camera, and there's no way I'm paying $2500 for it.
01-21-2021, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
and at around $1200, I'd be interested.

And sub $1000 I'd pre-order one.
OK, so you won't buy one no matter what.
01-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #314

Photos: Gallery
For some people it is all about price. For some it isn't.
01-21-2021, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
For some people it is all about price. For some it isn't.
This isn't well thought out; what you get for the money is more important.
Closed Thread