Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #511
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
video has nothing to do with the K-3iii.
Doesn't the K3/3 shoot video?

I was under the impression it was an advance of the 2008 level moving pictures that all other recent Pentax cameras have?

Last edited by surfar; 02-10-2021 at 08:18 PM.
02-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
As it is Surfar.

Staying on topic would be appreciated as we're all over the place the past several posts.
I think we're all getting a little twitchy, waiting for the K-3iii announcement and some more information (not that we're all interested in buying one, as some have declared, from time to time...)
02-10-2021, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #513
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think we're all getting a little twitchy,
I know you can sense when your brother is!

---------- Post added 02-11-21 at 02:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
not that we're all interested in buying one,
Plenty are interested in buying one or two(silver and black).

I'm specifically interested in the practical capability and what Ricoh haven't revealed yet.That could be something that makes a big impact.They usually hold back some surprises, not long to wait.
02-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #514
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What changed since that time was video recording features in stills cameras. Now it would be impossible for a camera to have gold without 8K video, even if the camera is used for still images only.

---------- Post added 10-02-21 at 18:47 ----------

Have you considered buying directly from the production plant?
@biz-engineer, you are absolutely correct. Back in 2010, the focus of DPR reviewers was on stills performance, and video was still something of a bonus feature. Now your camera is deemed almost worthless if it cannot produce at least top-drawer 4K video, which hurts Pentax in reviews since nobody to date can buy a Pentax DSLR that records video beyond Full HD. We shall see how much ground the K-3 III makes up in this area--I know the specs mention 4K 30/24p, but there are different ways to achieve those specs--though I still expect it to lag behind the industry leaders in video (no 8K on this go-around).

Last edited by ecostigny; 02-10-2021 at 09:52 PM.
02-10-2021, 10:26 PM   #515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I agree with the general statement here. But just one remark: I do see a difference in a DSLR with optical viewfinder from five years ago and an EVF who underwent two generations. I still think the first ages way better than a group of equipment that was sold mainly based on "newest electronics and computational tricks". The sensors are top notch for most still imaging for years, two generation old EVF or video features might seem very old.
I feel lucky of being in the position that sheer sensor performance is more important to me than other fast developing things.
EVF's have really come around recently for sure. The A7R4 with a 5.6 million dot and 120fps refresh rate evf is actually nicer to use and easier to see clearly than the real view through a dslr... At least that's what I thought the other day when I was shooting both types back to back.

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 11:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
@biz-engineer, you are absolutely correct. Back in 2010, the focus of DPR reviewers was on stills performance, and video was still something of a bonus feature. Now your camera is deemed almost worthless if it cannot produce at least top-drawer 4K video, which hurts Pentax in reviews since nobody to date can buy a Pentax DSLR that records video beyond Full HD. We shall see how much ground the K-3 III makes up in this area--I know the specs mention 4K 30/24p, but there are different ways to achieve those specs--though I still expect it to lag behind the industry leaders in video (no 8K on this go-around).
But it's not just 4k or 8k, it's also exposure and AF and image stabilization during video as well. I have a Fuji XT3, considered one of the leading 4K video recording cameras on the market today and compared to the Sony A7R3 or 4 (which only do 4k/30) the AF and exposure is not as good. The Sony AF somehow magically focuses on what you want it to focus on 99% of the time. The Fuji is more like 85% and not as usable and no IS but the XT4 does have IS, whatever. And the Sony exposure is steady and accurate while the Fuji "swells" from time time, whatever that's about. The Sony does have very usable IS during video recording as well.

As for the K33, I'm just wondering if it will AF during video at all... We'll shall see and hopefully be happily surprised!
02-10-2021, 11:20 PM   #516
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
As for the K33, I'm just wondering if it will AF during video at all.
Its highly likely, the moving pictures will be similar to low/mid range mirrorless.So only a SILVER on DipStickR.Still images, with the BSI sensor combined with faster processor and new accelerator should/could be of an extremely high level.
02-11-2021, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #517
Pentaxian

But it's not just 4k or 8k, it's also exposure and AF and image stabilization during video as well. I have a Fuji XT3, considered one of the leading 4K video recording cameras on the market today and compared to the Sony A7R3 or 4 (which only do 4k/30) the AF and exposure is not as good.
Yes, basically , your statement is 100% evaluation about video here, still photography is a bonus. In fact, you evaluate as if you bought a camcoder, and since the video capability in cameras in far from perfect there is still a room for improvement and selling new improved models. Marketing started to sell cameras for video recording and customers focus on this. The stills imaging is taken for granted since most people upload their pictures or videos online and don't print at all or print small 16x20, 20x30 prints at most. Cameras should be internet centric and the criteria for getting the gold award is based on internet centric features. Sony should make their camera switch-on in video mode directly, with a optional level to switch in still image capture mode in case it's needed

02-11-2021, 02:21 AM   #518
Pentaxian

EVF's have really come around recently for sure. The A7R4 with a 5.6 million dot and 120fps refresh rate evf is actually nicer to use and easier to see clearly than the real view through a dslr... At least that's what I thought the other day when I was shooting both types back to back.
Both types... which DSLR was that? APS-C? Full frame?

Does the A7RIV's EVF quality still drop, like usual with Sony?

Does this have anything to do with the K-3 Mark III?
02-11-2021, 03:36 AM   #519
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But it's not just 4k or 8k, it's also exposure and AF and image stabilization during video as well. I have a Fuji XT3, considered one of the leading 4K video recording cameras on the market today and compared to the Sony A7R3 or 4 (which only do 4k/30) the AF and exposure is not as good. The Sony AF somehow magically focuses on what you want it to focus on 99% of the time. The Fuji is more like 85% and not as usable and no IS but the XT4 does have IS, whatever. And the Sony exposure is steady and accurate while the Fuji "swells" from time time, whatever that's about. The Sony does have very usable IS during video recording as well.

As for the K33, I'm just wondering if it will AF during video at all... We'll shall see and hopefully be happily surprised!
The things that make video usable or not have little to do with editing, and a lot more to do with production values, sound design, and post processing/editing. I suppose if you are making home movies then most of these cameras are adequate, but you won't really expect anyone outside of your family to watch them either (I hope).

Pentax cameras do have auto focus with video, although I wouldn't say it is very good, it does work.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-11-2021 at 10:13 AM.
02-11-2021, 05:05 AM - 3 Likes   #520
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Are you sure they were DSLRs!?

They must have been really, really heavy if they were!

Hm, well, to pretend staying on topic: two weeks to go to CP+ and, at the very least, more hands-on info - my fingers are firmly crossed for a release date.

Makes it hard to type...
02-11-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #521
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Doesn't the K3/3 shoot video?

I was under the impression it was an advance of the 2008 level moving pictures that all other recent Pentax cameras have?
If so, that is just a bonus.
Not a reason to get the camera.
Not worthy of much discussion.
02-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, basically , your statement is 100% evaluation about video here, still photography is a bonus. In fact, you evaluate as if you bought a camcoder, and since the video capability in cameras in far from perfect there is still a room for improvement and selling new improved models. Marketing started to sell cameras for video recording and customers focus on this. The stills imaging is taken for granted since most people upload their pictures or videos online and don't print at all or print small 16x20, 20x30 prints at most. Cameras should be internet centric and the criteria for getting the gold award is based on internet centric features. Sony should make their camera switch-on in video mode directly, with a optional level to switch in still image capture mode in case it's needed
I think you should start your own review site, where the only criteria for evaluation is pixel-level details of wall-sized still life prints.
02-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #523
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The tech in the sensor of the new Sony A1 is really something. If your not familiar, check it out. It's probably years away from being in "affordable" cameras, but it is where the future is going. For one thing, it makes it so there is no need anymore for a mechanical shutter.
I've seen some reviews, and it's pretty stunning indeed ! It ain't cheap but i can really find value in the offer (because i really would use some of the features to help earn more money).
02-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #524
Veteran Member

This guy thought that the still images from the Sony's were good enough to use, though he's a Canon Fanboiy and likes the R5.

So I wouldn't write the 60mp full frame Sony A7R4 off as "only a camcorder..."

Limited Edition Fine Art Photography | Aaron Reed

---------- Post added 02-11-21 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Both types... which DSLR was that? APS-C? Full frame?

Does the A7RIV's EVF quality still drop, like usual with Sony?

Does this have anything to do with the K-3 Mark III?

Have not seen a quality drop in the Sony EVF at all.

A7R4 vs K1 2

Considering the k33 is being marketed with the penta prism "uber alles" I would think so...
02-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
I've seen some reviews, and it's pretty stunning indeed ! It ain't cheap but i can really find value in the offer (because i really would use some of the features to help earn more money).
Aint that what it's all about for some of us... There's using what you enjoy and then there's getting the job done. Very seldom do the two coincide.
Closed Thread