Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
anyone notice Best Buy carries the higher end models now?

Visiting Dallas for a few days and had a few minutes to kill, so I wandered into a Best Buy. They had the 40D, 50D, 5D, and D300 along w/ all models below those.
I wonder if that means the SLR customer demographics at that store are now realizing how much better those are?
At least it's a better display than Costco who had a D90 w/o a lens on it or a body cover so dust was all over the sensor

And FWIW, I'm really surprised how quickly the 40D/50D focus, even on moving objects. IMHO the cross sensors are way to big on the K10D so it's hard to sit a focus point on someone's eyes w/o the camera locking on the background occasionally

11-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I also did notice that my K200D's central focus point (which is what I use 99% of the time) uses quite a large area to focus on. It doesn't bother me much, since I shoot stationary subjects most of the time, but I figure it's a concern for others with more demanding shooting needs.

Perhaps K20D users can chime in with their experiences on the AF points, as Pentax might have improved on those focus points in that camera. The K200D is obviously a warmed-over K10D.

Canon and Nikon have long worked on their AF modules to be speedy. It's probably only recently that Pentax have devoted R&D to overhaul the existing SAFOX VIII system (as evidenced by users noting speed gains with the K20D and K-m). I actually did notice a slight AF speed increase with the K200D over the K10D I used to have, probably a better algorithm placed in there.

About Best Buy stocking higher end models, maybe it's simply a move on their part to diversify their offerings, and maybe lure some moneyed individuals into impulse-buying a higher end model. I would think most of the advanced amateurs and pros would still be looking to B&H and the like for their photographic needs, unless Best Buy matches those stores in price (have they already?).
11-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The BB in Bangor Maine has been carrying the upscale units for several years now. This may be one of the few items an individual manager can make the call on what is stocked.

They do some interesting things regarding inventory at times. 6 months ago they dropped the Sony A 700 in favor of the A 350 because it had a higher MP count. I picked one up for $650 and yes the AF speed and low light focus is much, much better than my K10D.
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The one local store (Camera Company) just moved locations. They usually only had the normal models...Nikon D40/60, Canon 350D/40D, etc.

Since they moved...they have lots of new and top models. D700/D90/D300...Canon 50D/450D. I was most surprised to see the D700 in the case. Oh and they still have Pentax, and even a *16-50

11-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in one of many Best Buys in Houston, TX and they only had the lower end models... at least that's what was on display. No change here that I could see.
11-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I guess I should have mentioned where this Best Buy was...it was actually in Ft. Worth near the Bonnell's restaurant. Malls are massive out that way and they seem to be every 5 miles. It must be something the store managers have discretion stocking...we don't have them at the Best Buys in Boston but now I'm going to have to pay more attention.

Very cool experience and very friendly folks out that ways...just wish there were more photo ops besides the Stockyards in Ft. Worth.