Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 423 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2021, 03:01 AM - 17 Likes   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"What Mirrorless Brought to the Industry"
It brought eye-AF to photographers. The need for micro AF-adjustments has been reduced but not entirely eliminated.

However, it mostly brought the opportunity for the industry to sell photographers their entire lens collection all over again.

Plus, the opportunity to charge more for a body which is cheaper to produce.

The "small size" argument is mostly a myth since modern MILC lenses are neither small nor light. Many MILC bodies have become quite large and when they are really small, they are ergonomic liabilities.

The "WYSISWG" argument is effectively nonsense for anyone who post-processes their files. It is a non-starter as far as flash photography is concerned.

It has brought banding and striping for some OSPDAF implementations and the loss of cross-type AF areas.

Not to forget, battery efficiency will always be worse with mirrorless.

I wonder whether I'll be invited to make my presentation.

01-20-2021, 03:18 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It brought eye-AF to photographers. The need for micro AF-adjustments has been reduced but not entirely eliminated.

However, it mostly brought the opportunity for the industry to sell photographers their entire lens collection all over again.

Plus, the opportunity to charge more for a body which is cheaper to produce.

The "small size" argument is mostly a myth since modern MILC lenses are neither small nor light. Many MILC bodies have become quite large and when they are really small, they are ergonomic liabilities.

The "WYSISWG" argument is effectively nonsense for anyone who post-processes their files. It is a non-starter as far as flash photography is concerned.

It has brought banding and striping for some OSPDAF implementations and the loss of cross-type AF areas.

Not to forget, battery efficiency will always be worse with mirrorless.

I wonder whether I'll be invited to make my presentation.
Invitation might ve in mail already for you. Just wait. You have all points right there..

---------- Post added 01-20-21 at 12:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
This is the most exciting time in Pentaxland since the last most exciting time.

No, really. My crop lenses are all jumping up and down in my cupboard in anticipation. The FF lenses are just playing it cool, feigning disinterest, but with an eye over their shoulders. Except for the DFA 150-450, which wet itself in a state of delirium. It expects to get the lion's share of the goodies.
You seem to have a great set of lenses ready.

I have just a couple aps-c lenses. But all of my lenses will work just fine with this new Pentax. It is exciting for sure.
01-20-2021, 06:23 AM   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Except for the DFA 150-450, which wet itself in a state of delirium. It expects to get the lion's share of the goodies.
True in my case also!
01-20-2021, 06:38 AM - 3 Likes   #184
Veteran Member

Mirrorless in nutshell: Way to make end-users buy 5 generations of the same camera model to get a camera which takes exactly the same image which the user took before (s)he bought 5 new cameras. It is flat out robbery and currently cellphones are overtaking the field with computational photography and super fast readout -sensors.

It goes like this:

1st gen: nice specs, messed up "RAW" files
2nd gen: 5mm bigger dimensions, same sensor
3rd gen: new battery, 5mm bigger dimensions, new sensor
4th gen: 2cm bigger dimensions, same sensor, same battery
5th gen: 5cm bigger dimensions, new sensor, wooden grip extension, new lens mount to create new cash income and allow f/0.5 lenses to be made
6th gen: RAW file completely missing in camera, who needs them anyway?

01-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
but totally irrelevant for those of us who capture JPEG images using ambient light and want a good starting point for minor changes.
01-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but totally irrelevant for those of us who capture JPEG images using ambient light and want a good starting point for minor changes.
This is the biggest advantage I’m seeing with my Z5. It’s easier to just get it right first which makes JPEG much more viable and post processing less likely to happen in the first place.

EVF is better for me in all cases except really fast action at the moment. Everywhere else I’d rather have EVF, it’s better. Hybrid would be amazing if it didn’t compromise either.
01-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #187
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
This is the biggest advantage I’m seeing with my Z5. It’s easier to just get it right first which makes JPEG much more viable and post processing less likely to happen in the first place.
EVF is better for me in all cases except really fast action at the moment. Everywhere else I’d rather have EVF, it’s better. Hybrid would be amazing if it didn’t compromise either.
EVF is better because it's WYSIWYG?

01-26-2021, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #188
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Very easy on the K-1 and K-3, Lee, hope that's not your reason.

In Manual Mode the rear screen shows a WYSIWYG just like an EVF.
01-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The evf systems I have don’t represent dynamic range or color as real as my ovf systems. I bounce between wysiwyg and non-wysiwyg since some exposures render the EVF too dark (composites for example).
01-26-2021, 03:38 PM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

The rear screen is terrible on a sunny day or with reflections.

Plus the EVF is larger through the viewfinder. It’s quite nice. And much better in low light, you can actually see subjects in conditions where the OVF is nearly useless. Plus the full sensor AF points. The lack of needing any lens adjustments, It’s further back off the body which is better for glasses. Adjusting all the settings in the viewfinder, so you can watch the change as you adjust it. Yes you can do that with live view, but it’s no fun holding the camera up at your subject trying to make adjustments. Manual focus is also far easier and more fun with the EVF.

Of course you can get the same shot with OVF. You can get the same shot with nearly any camera these days. I just don’t see all the doom and gloom for EVF’s they have there good points as well and the recent ones are quite good.

They still lack for action and fast moving subjects imo, at least the ones I’ve used. I see the R5 and the latest Sony’s are pretty lag free.

I know OVF’s or die is the popular theme here, just saying it’s not end times with an EVF and they do actually have advantages.
01-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Plus the EVF is larger through the viewfinder. It’s quite nice. And much better in low light, you can actually see subjects in conditions where the OVF is nearly useless. Plus the full sensor AF points. The lack of needing any lens adjustments, It’s further back off the body which is better for glasses. Adjusting all the settings in the viewfinder, so you can watch the change as you adjust it. Yes you can do that with live view, but it’s no fun holding the camera up at your subject trying to make adjustments. Manual focus is also far easier and more fun with the EVF.
I have a Zacuto Z-Finder Pro coming by the end of this week (for my K1), so does it address all that?
01-26-2021, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #192
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So easy, Lee.

A Hoodman loupe or similar gives you that. I have a Zacuto I use every now and again. Australia has lots of sunny days.

But I mainly concentrate on the OVF with its complete lack of lag or graininess or drop in frame rate.

I do connect to an external monitor for studio style shooting.
01-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter

So easy, Lee.

A Hoodman loupe or similar gives you that. I have a Zacuto I use every now and again.
I've only spoken to one other person who regularly uses one. So, any feedback?

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-27-2021 at 06:29 AM.
01-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #194
Pentaxian

Not "just like an EVF" - I cannot hold it braced against forehead while looking at it, and it is not shaded against sunlight.
Before I ever got my Q-7, I had issues related to using its LCD, and I was 100% correct.

So easy, Lee.

A Hoodman loupe or similar gives you that. I have a Zacuto I use every now and again. Australia has lots of sunny days.

But I mainly concentrate on the OVF with its complete lack of lag or graininess or drop in frame rate.

I do connect to an external monitor for studio style shooting.
I use a Hoodman with my Q-7, but a good EVF would make it not needed, and would not take all the space taken by the loupe.
When Nikon's 'road show' came through town, I tried a Z7, and I noticed neither lag nor drop in frame rate - and, yes, I had an employee walk around the store and did check for those things.

Last edited by reh321; 01-26-2021 at 06:05 PM.
01-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not "just like an EVF" - I cannot hold it braced against forehead while looking at it, and it is not shaded against sunlight.
Before I ever got my Q-7, I had issues related to using its LCD, and I was 100% correct.
Zacuto Pro...

At least I'm hoping.