Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 423 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The more I see previews, the less I get excited. It's not that the camera will lack anything, on the contrary, it's certainly the best Pentax camera ever made. Teasing preview sort of kills off the novelty effect , after a while, it's not quite new anymore. Ricoh should release it and take pre-orders for it.
I totally agree. This is dragging on way to long.
I would think these corona times would be the perfect time to release the camera. People have a lot of
spare time now.

Almost time for the K3-IV.

01-13-2021, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I’m waiting for someone to leak the operating manual.
01-13-2021, 01:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did look through that video. Interesting. Did not really understand what they said. And to be actually able to see those photos would be great too. It did seem to work quite well in LV even. And AF for that video mode was also more, lets say good. Was just super annoying to see that one handed opetarion because of vloggin at the same time. Regardless even one handed not concentrated handling seemed quite good actually. Now. A proper hands on explaining operations would be amazing.

What was nice, was the apparent excitement coming out of that video.
01-13-2021, 02:02 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the odd looking "lens" is a 3d printed mockup of either the D-FA 21 or the sometimes mentioned D-FA 35 that hasn't been talked about in a while.

Then there's the D-FA 50 and then some zoom past that. Is that the existing DA 16-50 or something else?

01-13-2021, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bavd Quote
I totally agree. This is dragging on way to long.
I would think these corona times would be the perfect time to release the camera. People have a lot of
spare time now.

Almost time for the K3-IV.
They can release it, but if factories burn, supply chains are busted and there's no way to actually get the camera in the hands of people... it won't change a lot
01-13-2021, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

The more I see previews, the less I get excited. It's not that the camera will lack anything, on the contrary, it's certainly the best Pentax camera ever made. Teasing preview sort of kills off the novelty effect , after a while, it's not quite new anymore. Ricoh should release it and take pre-orders for it.
True. I assume there is one more news story waiting on the 28th of January and in February it should be in the hands of selected testers worldwide and sample photos will be available. Release and preorder end of February. Just a guess
01-13-2021, 02:50 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Looks like the A* 85 1.4 in a carbon fiber wrap.....odd to say the least
That is my impression too. It could possibly be some mockup for a yet-to-be-announced lens, as it lacks a distance scale and other distinguishing markings.

Whenever I read an announcement from Pentax, I hope it will be something weird and wonderful.

01-13-2021, 02:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Looks like the A* 85 1.4 in a carbon fiber wrap.....odd to say the least
Yes,A*85/1.4.
01-13-2021, 03:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bavd Quote
I totally agree. This is dragging on way to long.I would think these corona times would be the perfect time to release the camera. People have a lot ofspare time now.
Exactly. I've never pixel peep as much as during covid. Can't go out, but can stick a test chart on the wall and play with cameras and post processing software.

---------- Post added 13-01-21 at 11:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
I’m waiting for someone to leak the operating manual.
That's strategic.

---------- Post added 13-01-21 at 11:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Whenever I read an announcement from Pentax, I hope it will be something weird and wonderful.
I like the guy playing with the pentaprism. Ricoh could even sell a pentaprism as separate fetish item.

---------- Post added 13-01-21 at 11:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
They can release it, but if factories burn, supply chains are busted and there's no way to actually get the camera in the hands of people... it won't change a lot
Apparently, they have enough cameras to play with, themselves, but not for selling. It's like for the MZ-D. Ricoh may decide that they don't release the K3III at the last moment, they may decide to redesign the camera with a flippy screen.

---------- Post added 13-01-21 at 11:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I still think there may be a surprise or two.
Like what? Pixel shift 16 shots => 100Mp RAW output from the K3III?
01-13-2021, 03:25 AM   #25
Pentaxian

there was also quite interesting Laowa 15 mm shift lens what they played around with. That DFA 70-210 seemend to be blazing fast with K-3 mkIII.

---------- Post added 01-13-21 at 12:28 ----------

Exactly. I've never pixel peep as much as during covid. Can't go out, but can stick a test chart on the wall and play with cameras and post processing software.

That's strategic.

I like the guy playing with the pentaprism. Ricoh could even sell a pentaprism as separate fetish item.

Apparently, they have enough cameras to play with, themselves, but not for selling. It's like for the MZ-D. Ricoh may decide that they don't release the K3III at the last moment, they may decide to redesign the camera with a flippy screen.

Isn't this going to be released and going to ship in next month. These videos popping out already tells that it is very close to be released. it does seem quite finished already.
01-13-2021, 03:31 AM - 7 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Absolute, complete nonsense. The camera is final, and no amount of FUD will prevent its launching.
01-13-2021, 03:33 AM - 7 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's strategic.

I think Pentax was in a tough place. The camera is now a month away from being released, but it wasn't ready and for whatever reason they couldn't get it ready sooner. Blame COVID, blame the supply chain, blame a part that was made by a third party in a factory that wasn't producing it, it doesn't matter. They decided the best thing to keep Pentaxians that were on the fence was to do these videos to bump up anticipation for it.

I think that's probably the best they could do, assuming they couldn't get the camera out of the door till February. Certainly complete radio silence wasn't the answer and they have been accused in the past of not giving enough heads up about the things that they are working on.
01-13-2021, 03:36 AM - 8 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that's probably the best they could do, assuming they couldn't get the camera out of the door till February. Certainly complete radio silence wasn't the answer and they have been accused in the past of not giving enough heads up about the things that they are working on.
And now they're accused of saying things, presenting the camera... in the end, it doesn't matter what they do, the accusations will flow.

But Pentaxians like you and me and many others will be happy to at least have the information, until the camera gets released. We're the ones that matter.
01-13-2021, 03:44 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I was looking at very end of that video and this guy had it in video mode. Seems that there is continious AF with face detection now in video. He had to change o PLM lens to make it work? too bad this video was so bad quality(phone)...no? at very last when they were at the table playing around.
01-13-2021, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And now they're accused of saying things, presenting the camera... in the end, it doesn't matter what they do, the accusations will flow.

But Pentaxians like you and me and many others will be happy to at least have the information, until the camera gets released. We're the ones that matter.
I have always been of the opinion that you don't release beta software or products. I think there have been many companies who tried (Cyberpunk 2077 most recently?) but the bang you get for getting something out the door is significantly over powered by the antagonism generated by something doesn't work the way it should for the first two or three months after release.