Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 423 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The game industry is a bit special, in that the launch date is usually firmly set by marketing - and the poor devs have to make it happen. While Cyberpunk 2077 was allegedly (didn't try it) particularly bad, I wonder if there are any AAA games which are released in a "final" form.

But that doesn't have anything to do with Pentax.
I'm not a gamer. I've just seen the news stories and assumed that it was a company that was running short of capital and had to get users online, even if there were going to need to be multiple patches to make things work.

I do think we need to be honest that things that Nikon/Sony/Canon might get a pass on with a comment like "X issue isn't what we were expecting, but we know that a firmware update will take care of it" will be listed for Pentax as a solid "con" and reason not to buy a given product.

01-13-2021, 07:56 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Out in the open, the chap was testing AF. On his friend walking at a quicken pace, and there's one part where it looked as if they tried out the AFC on a small gal on a bicycle.

They were very pleased with the resulting images they managed to capture, commenting that most if not all came out nice and sharp.

when there's "cluttered background", it probably might confuse the AF somewhat.

The AF / AFC portion was the only portion that interest me, thus, didnt pay much attention on other portions.

And yes, the guy did mention "A星八十五" (at the earlier part of the vid), which means "A*85".

NB: naturally, i am just condensing it into the very brief explanation above. If want a detailed thing of what they commented / observed for that portion, will have to go thru it again, as i only went thru it once and noted the main things.
Great! Could you say what happened when they got back in and they played with AF in movie mode? Did you get overal picture about what they thought of AF, I think that they were please with performance?
01-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not a gamer. I've just seen the news stories and assumed that it was a company that was running short of capital and had to get users online, even if there were going to need to be multiple patches to make things work.

I do think we need to be honest that things that Nikon/Sony/Canon might get a pass on with a comment like "X issue isn't what we were expecting, but we know that a firmware update will take care of it" will be listed for Pentax as a solid "con" and reason not to buy a given product.
Skyrim - an open world RPG which I like even though I didn't finished playing - is said to have been plagued with bugs at release. I started playing it later, and it was fine.
For non-gamers, Skyrim is one of the most successful games around.

Getting back to Pentax, yeah, they'll try to fill the Cons list the best they could - and the "tests" would be designed to make the camera fail.
It won't be difficult. The camera can't possibly be perfect; then it already "loses" the specs game in some areas, compared with <insert favorite mirrorless here>. But if they find a "fault", let's say... Adobe not properly supporting the files...

L.E. Speaking of which, I've just read how 524g for a lens is "lightweight". But it had the right brand
01-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
NB: naturally, i am just condensing it into the very brief explanation above. If want a detailed thing of what they commented / observed for that portion, will have to go thru it again, as i only went thru it once and noted the main things.
Can you just state "yes" or "no" with regards to the question whether continuous video AF during (!) video capture was tested/possible?
That requires some OSPDAF pixels and it would be interesting if that is there.

01-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
and the "tests" would be designed to make the camera fail.
You expect DPR to try and get acquainted with the better settings to make things work?

L.E. Speaking of which, I've just read how 524g for a lens is "lightweight". But it had the right brand
I can almost* fit my entire "Serk goes out for a day of photos" kit in there!

*The M20, FA43 and FA77 put together are 570 g :3

---------- Post added 01-13-21 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Can you just state "yes" or "no" with regards to the question whether continuous video AF during (!) video capture was tested/possible?
Can't it work simply with CDAF? It isn't as fast, but it might be possible. Panasonic doesn't have OSPDAF at all, AFAIK...
01-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Unable to comment on that as i really did not view anything other than the very front portion and straight away went to that portion where they went out to snap at some stuffs.
(And really, didnt pay much attention, just recall they were generally very impressed with the AF performance).

Will view it again at a later time as it is near snoozing time where i am.

But, by then, maybe someone else could shed some light on these aspects

Last edited by termy; 01-13-2021 at 08:35 AM.
01-13-2021, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
You expect DPR to try and get acquainted with the better settings to make things work?

I can almost* fit my entire "Serk goes out for a day of photos" kit in there!

*The M20, FA43 and FA77 put together are 570 g :3

---------- Post added 01-13-21 at 08:24 AM ----------

Can't it work simply with CDAF? It isn't as fast, but it might be possible. Panasonic doesn't have OSPDAF at all, AFAIK...
I like your "Serk goes out for a day of photo's" kit, heh. When I'm not going birding and lugging the 150-450mm, my "Eric's kit for a walkabout" is similar with my Soligor 20mm, FA31 and FA77, and sometimes I have a hard time choosing between the FA77 or the DFA100mm WR... but either way, I've always leaned towards that sort of compact trio when weight matters. The FA77 being the much lighter of those two.

Like many here have already posted, I'm not normally in a hurry to give away my money and am quite happy with my current gear, but the prolonged release is wearing a little thin even for me. But what do I know? Maybe if the Ford Edsel had this kind of build up, maybe it would have succeeded. Heh.
Eric

01-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #53
Veteran Member

There's a comment underneath which says that the LV focus is a hybrid method which includes PDAF points, and the performance is somewhere between traditional contrast detect and a D780.
01-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #54
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can you hear it in English ?
01-13-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Yes,A*85/1.4.
I wonder why they would make a carbon fiber A*85 f/1.4?
01-13-2021, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I wonder why they would make a carbon fiber A*85 f/1.4?
tape.
01-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm, er, really hoping that wasn't filmed on a K-3iii

OTOH - seem to be going for a young, fun image with this, after rather stuffy earlier presentations - it will be interesting to see if it carries through into any advertising
01-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
There's a comment underneath which says that the LV focus is a hybrid method which includes PDAF points, and the performance is somewhere between traditional contrast detect and a D780.
This sounds good!
01-13-2021, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yes, in theory that would be possible.

Actually I don't give a money's about the video or LV features as such, but since the sensor sounds like a known one (which so far had pixel gaps for OSPDAF) I'd like to know if there are OSPDAF pixels with their problems existing.

A good sensor in my viewfinder photographer requirements doesn't have any crappy OSPDAF pixels - at least not ones physically micromasked as such.
01-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
tape.
Of course, that makes sense. More than my vision of a series of carbon fiber versions of vintage * glass....................