Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 423 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Yes, in theory that would be possible.

Actually I don't give a money's about the video or LV features as such, but since the sensor sounds like a known one (which so far had pixel gaps for OSPDAF) I'd like to know if there are OSPDAF pixels with their problems existing.

A good sensor in my viewfinder photographer requirements doesn't have any crappy OSPDAF pixels - at least not ones physically micromasked as such.
I'd personally much rather it didn't have OSPDAF either, but it seems it is the case. It's interesting that they've done this after so much emphasis on OVF shooting.

---------- Post added 01-13-21 at 10:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
There's a comment underneath which says that the LV focus is a hybrid method which includes PDAF points, and the performance is somewhere between traditional contrast detect and a D780.
From Deepl the response reads as "It's hybrid, but not so much buried, so the speed is somewhere between traditional DSLR and D780 levels". I guess these means that there are few OSPDAF points? If so, it might not affect the IQ too much, I hope...

01-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Do you mean companyes, like canon?(does make nice printers too), Panasonic(electric gadget you name it), Sony...you know this propably does leave only couple names on that list of your and that is BS.
What I wanted to say is that Pentax is not a business unit or division. If I am not wrong Pentax is one of the brand names displayed on the front page of the Ricoh Imaging web site.

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Sooo .... What you're saying is that inbetween developing Pentax cameras the guys in the Pentax development team are developing other stuff, like ... copiers?
If you read again, I didn't write that Ricoh Imaging engineers were probably working on Ricoh copiers. As the "Ricoh Imaging" implies, Ricoh Imaging may work on any imaging technology or products, whether it is Pentax or other brands.

The concern was "it takes a long time for Ricoh Imaging to develop new Pentax products" , and my reply was trying to explain that their probably work on project other than Pentax, such as for instance the Ricoh GRIII, and maybe other projects still Imaging Projects but not for consumer cameras.

The GRIII was a compact design, it was released after the KP and before the K3III.
01-13-2021, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What I wanted to say is that Pentax is not a business unit or division. If I am not wrong Pentax is one of the brand names displayed on the front page of the Ricoh Imaging web site.

If you read again, I didn't write that Ricoh Imaging engineers were probably working on Ricoh copiers. As the "Ricoh Imaging" implies, Ricoh Imaging may work on any imaging technology or products, whether it is Pentax or other brands.

The concern was "it takes a long time for Ricoh Imaging to develop new Pentax products" , and my reply was trying to explain that their probably work on project other than Pentax, such as for instance the Ricoh GRIII, and maybe other projects still Imaging Projects but not for consumer cameras.

The GRIII was a compact design, it was released after the KP and before the K3III.
Fair enough. This could be. It also could be that building K-3 mk III, with brighter OVF and solving the problem with mechanical SR with video, where they did run in problem before. And remaking the shutter all together with improved AF which should be something they can upgrade(they hit the wall with previous system). Took them more time than it would normally take. GR after all did not go through as big changes.
01-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #64
Pentaxian

....Took them more time than it would normally take
Whatever. One new Pentax camera in 4 years. And, that's OK for the business, in a market that is known as a "replacement market". The "replacement market" is when people replace what they already have only when it's dead. In a replacement market, growth slows down, and product life cycles get longer, and companies slow down, or divest.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-13-2021 at 01:34 PM.
01-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Fair enough. This could be. It also could be that building K-3 mk III, with brighter OVF and solving the problem with mechanical SR with video, where they did run in problem before. And remaking the shutter all together with improved AF which should be something they can upgrade(they hit the wall with previous system). Took them more time than it would normally take. GR after all did not go through as big changes.
By "normally" I assume you mean iterating from existing technology, as opposed to developing a completely new product.
Because I don't think there was anything abnormal with the development time. Perhaps they could have started earlier - and that could have avoided the release gap; I suspect Ricoh's own issues delayed things a bit. But I doubt they could have hasten the development time.
01-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Whatever. One new Pentax product in 4 years.
Pentax released a product last year, the D FA* 85mm f/1.4...
01-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
but three or four years is a very long time between "Pentax" bodies - especially since the ' "APS-C" flagship ' shelf has been empty so much of the time.
It is their income, though.
Most of us can just have fun and take photos while we wait - and the others always have the option of jumping to another brand.

01-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
What lens are they showing here?
AFAR :
SMC DA 40/2.8 XS
SMC A*85/1.4 old mock-up
HD D-FA*50/1.4 silver (back) and black (front)
comming HD DA* 16-50/2.8 DC
HD DA 55-300/4.5-6.3 PLM RE
01-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #69
Pentaxian

If you read again, I didn't write that Ricoh Imaging engineers were probably working on Ricoh copiers.
Ok. I just wasn't quite sure what you meant with "other things".
01-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #70
Pentaxian

By "normally" I assume you mean iterating from existing technology, as opposed to developing a completely new product.
Because I don't think there was anything abnormal with the development time. Perhaps they could have started earlier - and that could have avoided the release gap; I suspect Ricoh's own issues delayed things a bit. But I doubt they could have hasten the development time.
yea, that word could be better for it. I bet that they have had some big lines drawn. They did face this what Nikon and Canon did face too(should we ditch the mirror). I suppose that it was on the table, but they decided to do this insead.
01-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #71
Pentaxian

My apologize. I corrected my post. Ricoh didn't release any new Pentax camera in 4 years. How many more GRIII would have they sold if they called it a Pentax K-02 instead of GRIII? Personally , I think they would have sold a lot more K-02 than GRIII. It's just that the market share for Pentax was already a lot bigger than Ricoh camera market share when Ricoh acquired Pentax. Why do I think so? =. Answer: I haven't see a lot of Pentax cameras in the last two years, but I have seen zero owner of a GR camera! If Pentax has 2% market share, Ricoh cameras a quarter of it, 0.5% or less.
01-13-2021, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

I haven't see a lot of Pentax cameras in the last two years, but I have seen zero owner of a GR camera! If Pentax has 2% market share, Ricoh cameras a quarter of it, 0.5% or less.
My experience is the exact opposite.
01-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I want to see is what they've done with the touch-screen and I noticed the video user doing the old rear-wheel zoom and 4-way pad to move around an image – really?????. I really really hope we can use the touch-screen functionality instead, but I'll probably have to wait for release to learn what's possible.

Oh yes, and bluetooth functionality - can I use my phone for Live View, etc? Sigh.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 01-13-2021 at 02:26 PM.
01-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
What I want to see is what they've done with the touch-screen and I noticed the video user doing the old rear-wheel zoom and 4-way pad to move around an image – really?????. I really really hope we can use the touch-screen functionality instead, but I'll probably have to wait for release to learn what's possible.
I recall Albert saying the touchscreen is for menu use only at this stage.
01-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I recall Albert saying the touchscreen is for menu use only at this stage.
This is my understanding also.

- Craig