Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 02:42 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
yea, that word could be better for it. I bet that they have had some big lines drawn. They did face this what Nikon and Canon did face too(should we ditch the mirror). I suppose that it was on the table, but they decided to do this insead.
I see here two different general decisions; one not actually being much of a choice:
- if to go mirrorless or stay DSLR (no resources for both, apparently); we know what they decided, and IMO it was mostly based on their (in)ability to compete on an overcrowded, overcompetitive mirrorless market while trying to recover a technical disadvantage.
- to update their technology to more or less current levels, instead of improving on what they already had. They did that for the GR III, too.

01-13-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The problem of touch screen is that it doesn't work well with gloves in the freezing cold of winter. It's always annoying when I have to remove one glove to swipe my smartphone display with it's -10C outside. I hope that they keep controls via physical buttons on cameras, so that we can still continue to operate the camera in the cold.
01-13-2021, 02:45 PM - 4 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My apologize. I corrected my post. Ricoh didn't release any new Pentax camera in 4 years. How many more GRIII would have they sold if they called it a Pentax K-02 instead of GRIII? Personally , I think they would have sold a lot more K-02 than GRIII. It's just that the market share for Pentax was already a lot bigger than Ricoh camera market share when Ricoh acquired Pentax. Why do I think so? =. Answer: I haven't see a lot of Pentax cameras in the last two years, but I have seen zero owner of a GR camera! If Pentax has 2% market share, Ricoh cameras a quarter of it, 0.5% or less.
I very much doubt that.
Perhaps the impact would be negligible, but the Ricoh GR line already had a following - and the GR and GR II were quite successful (unlike the very similar Nikon Coolpix A, and that says something!). Not rebranding them to Pentax was the correct choice.
Then, we know the GR III is successful; what do you have to show that a Pentax GR III would be even more successful?
Last but not least... Pentax GR? Is that a Pentax, or a GR? Confusing...
01-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
What I want to see is what they've done with the touch-screen and I noticed the video user doing the old rear-wheel zoom and 4-way pad to move around an image – really?????. I really really hope we can use the touch-screen functionality instead, but I'll probably have to wait for release to learn what's possible.

Oh yes, and bluetooth functionality - can I use my phone for Live View, etc? Sigh.
Ofcourse you can and with new connections even more so. You can do it already. There are a lot of new things. Engineers made them happen. From users they will get the feedback to do the improvements. So in that case it could go more further than release. I could think that they have thought about it thou..

01-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The problem of touch screen is that it doesn't work well with gloves in the freezing cold of winter. It's always annoying when I have to remove one glove to swipe my smartphone display with it's -10C outside. I hope that they keep controls via physical buttons on cameras, so that we can still continue to operate the camera in the cold.
Sigh... non-issue after non-issue. You can see for yourself that all the expected physical buttons are there, on the K-3 III (and there's the addition of a joystick).

I can fully control the GR III via its buttons. I can ignore the touchscreen or disable it from the menus, and I won't lose any functionality (just a bit of obvious convenience, like tap to focus or double tap to zoom to 100% in play mode).
The K-3 Mark III, a rugged, weather sealed camera, is similarly fully usable via its many hardware controls.
01-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #81
Pentaxian

What I want to see is what they've done with the touch-screen and I noticed the video user doing the old rear-wheel zoom and 4-way pad to move around an image – really?????. I really really hope we can use the touch-screen functionality instead, but I'll probably have to wait for release to learn what's possible.

Oh yes, and bluetooth functionality - can I use my phone for Live View, etc? Sigh.
That's incorrect - not instead, but in addition to.
It works smoothly with the GR III. Both ways.

Through WiFi, with the Image Sync app.
01-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I see here two different general decisions; one not actually being much of a choice:
- if to go mirrorless or stay DSLR (no resources for both, apparently); we know what they decided, and IMO it was mostly based on their (in)ability to compete on an overcrowded, overcompetitive mirrorless market while trying to recover a technical disadvantage.
- to update their technology to more or less current levels, instead of improving on what they already had. They did that for the GR III, too.
Ain’t that true. This would have thrown (decision of ditch mirror) a lot out of window. Yes. It could have opened many windows and a door and a secret passageway. But they did very Pentax kind of move. This is where I do applaud them. Really. If anyone would think about it, it is exactly that.

Someone still pondering about if Pentax is going mirrorless?

Don’t have to anymore.

Instead of it they try their best to get the best out of what they have. And the modern tech to aid it. Am I a fan. Yes. Am I going to pay and see their hand.

Someone said that we should buy it to support Pentax. Well, I would not go that far. I’m going to try to be patient and see how many of my ‘check’ points are met. Contrary to few. I do think that FF & aps-c is a great combo. Especially if AF is top notch and performance. And this is what they have been going for too. Not sure if people does see that like that. After all many from this testing group did go for K-1 and lenses to go with that. aps-c is not deadand FF is not the best for everything. I like that. I’m looking forward of seeing more. More properly made videos. Like -real- hands on. With good pictures&video to have a look at.

01-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's incorrect - not instead, but in addition to.
It works smoothly with the GR III. Both ways.

Through WiFi, with the Image Sync app.
Thanks for that but I don't have a GR III, I'd just like to know what functionality the K-3iii's touch screen and Bluetooth (assuming...) will have. Watching and waiting...
01-13-2021, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

Thanks for that but I don't have a GR III, I'd just like to know what functionality the K-3iii's touch screen and Bluetooth (assuming...) will have. Watching and waiting...
We can safely assume the K-3 III won't be inferior to the GR III.
01-13-2021, 03:41 PM - 4 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bluetooth functionality is as follows according to the FCC testing where they show that section of the user manual...

1) Remote Capture (Use the phone to control the camera and trigger the shutter)
2) Image view (View the images on the memory card)
3) Time Synchronization (Set the date and time for the camera by using the phones date and time)
4) Store Location info (GPS Geotagging from the phone)
5) Auto Image Transfer (Automatically transfer images to the phone)
6) Auto Resize (Reduces JPEG file size to xs and transfers it to the phone)
7) Image transfer while off (Continues to transfer images even if the camera is turned off in the midway through transfer)

***NOTE: Pentax refers to "Phone" as a "Communication Device"***
Link to K-3 III Manual
01-13-2021, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is exactly it. I don't think Pentax could have come in at this point and competed in the mirrorless space.

As far as people testing the camera, my understanding is that at least two of the US Pentax ambassadors have been using it. I'd expect we'll see comments from them once Pentax decides to lift that embargo.
01-13-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #87
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Bluetooth functionality is as follows according to the FCC testing where they show that section of the user manual...

1) Remote Capture (Use the phone to control the camera and trigger the shutter)
2) Image view (View the images on the memory card)
3) Time Synchronization (Set the date and time for the camera by using the phones date and time)
4) Store Location info (GPS Geotagging from the phone)
5) Auto Image Transfer (Automatically transfer images to the phone)
6) Auto Resize (Reduces JPEG file size to xs and transfers it to the phone)
7) Image transfer while off (Continues to transfer images even if the camera is turned off in the midway through transfer)

***NOTE: Pentax refers to "Phone" as a "Communication Device"***
Link to K-3 III Manual
Wow, 5, 6 and 7 are interesting. I'd love to have that and I'd probably have it on most of the time.

Any chances that this could come as a firmware update to other cameras? Oh wait... no bluetooth. *grumpycat*
01-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Wow, 5, 6 and 7 are interesting. I'd love to have that and I'd probably have it on most of the time.

Any chances that this could come as a firmware update to other cameras? Oh wait... no bluetooth. *grumpycat*
Yup! Those look interesting, and would make me change from raw+S JPG to raw+L, with instant resizing to XS to transfer quickly... if the connection is more stable and works well with Auto Transfer, that would also be great.
01-13-2021, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
This is exactly it. I don't think Pentax could have come in at this point and competed in the mirrorless space.

As far as people testing the camera, my understanding is that at least two of the US Pentax ambassadors have been using it. I'd expect we'll see comments from them once Pentax decides to lift that embargo.
There is even a new Pentax ambassador who says she is using it but can't tell us much yet. See her site here.
https://www.renefisherphotography.com/
01-13-2021, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote

There's also a new one in Ontario Canada. Rene Fisher. She was added as an ambassador just the other day and is using the K-3 III.

SSGGeezer beat me to it lol