Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
There's also a new one in Ontario Canada. Rene Fisher. She was added as an ambassador just the other day and is using the K-3 III.

SSGGeezer beat me to it lol
I guess I should have said North America!
She is pretty amazing and her blog is very well written also. She explains her thoughts on PP very eloquently.

01-13-2021, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I guess I should have said North America!
She is pretty amazing and her blog is very well written also. She explains her thoughts on PP very eloquently.
I completely agree.
01-13-2021, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

***NOTE: Pentax refers to "Phone" as a "Communication Device"***
Link to K-3 III Manual
Probably Pentax Technical writer is a "Strange Planet" fan. See here: wisdom
01-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bluetooth functionality is as follows according to the FCC testing where they show that section of the user manual...
Thank you, that’s useful.

01-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My preferred way to use my k-3 wirelessly involved the use of the old eyefi card. I put it in one slot, and another sd card in the other slot. I set the camera to shoot raw +, with jpgs set to small size, and the camera set to send raw files to one card, and jpgs to the wireless card. Then I used the eyefi in the mode that automatically sent jpgs. This solution no longer works. The new k3iii solution sounds even better!

My one concern is that Bluetooth speed is very slow for file transfer 2 megabits/second is max burst mode speed unless Bluetooth is only used to set the alternate phy channel to 802.11 then you can squeeze out 25mbs. Hopefully these features also work using WiFi or other combinations of Bluetooth and WiFi.
01-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #96
Pentaxian

The file transfer happens through WiFi.
01-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My preferred way to use my k-3 wirelessly involved the use of the old eyefi card. I put it in one slot, and another sd card in the other slot. I set the camera to shoot raw +, with jpgs set to small size, and the camera set to send raw files to one card, and jpgs to the wireless card. Then I used the eyefi in the mode that automatically sent jpgs. This solution no longer works. The new k3iii solution sounds even better!

My one concern is that Bluetooth speed is very slow for file transfer 2 megabits/second is max burst mode speed unless Bluetooth is only used to set the alternate phy channel to 802.11 then you can squeeze out 25mbs. Hopefully these features also work using WiFi or other combinations of Bluetooth and WiFi.
I was thinking along the same lines. BT is maybe fast enough to remotely control the camera or transmit tiny thumbnails, but for Live view and image transfer of decent jpgs probably WiFi will be used. All devices I have use BT to wake up the device and initiate a seamless WiFi connection that is used for the stream and transfer. The advantage of Bluetooth LE is that the energy usage is so low that it can aleays be on and no need to turn it on. Thus also Geopositioning can be done more effortless than the pairing I was used to some years ago. At least that is what I expect.

01-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I was thinking along the same lines. BT is maybe fast enough to remotely control the camera or transmit tiny thumbnails, but for Live view and image transfer of decent jpgs probably WiFi will be used. All devices I have use BT to wake up the device and initiate a seamless WiFi connection that is used for the stream and transfer. The advantage of Bluetooth LE is that the energy usage is so low that it can aleays be on and no need to turn it on. Thus also Geopositioning can be done more effortless than the pairing I was used to some years ago. At least that is what I expect.
Agreed. Bluetooth 4 and 5 include options that automagically can use the WiFi physical transport layer, but the encoding isn’t the same as WiFi direct so it’s still a little slower, but at least rational!

Getting GPS from a phone is a good idea for tagging etc.I don’t personally care but some people do.
01-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Thanks for that but I don't have a GR III, I'd just like to know what functionality the K-3iii's touch screen and Bluetooth (assuming...) will have. Watching and waiting...
Bluetooth would be an ideal way to provide wireless audio for headphones. I don't understand why no camera maker has done this - it would eliminate the need for wired headphones.
01-14-2021, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just visiting over at the Luminous-landscape website where there is a lovely picture of the K1ll on the feature article by Dan Wells. As usual though, Dan Wells says once again that Pentax is likely dead due to the fact that they do not introduce prolific models per year. He has his "Q's" mixed up, the difference between quantity and quality. Really a nice image of the K1 even if it has "too many buttons" Looking forward to the K3 lll
01-14-2021, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Bluetooth would be an ideal way to provide wireless audio for headphones. I don't understand why no camera maker has done this - it would eliminate the need for wired headphones.
You like to listen to your photos?

01-15-2021, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
I was just visiting over at the Luminous-landscape website where there is a lovely picture of the K1ll on the feature article by Dan Wells. As usual though, Dan Wells says once again that Pentax is likely dead due to the fact that they do not introduce prolific models per year. He has his "Q's" mixed up, the difference between quantity and quality. Really a nice image of the K1 even if it has "too many buttons" Looking forward to the K3 lll
They say the K-1 has too many buttons? Then I guess the D850, D5, and D6 are terrible cameras because they have even more buttons.
01-15-2021, 03:06 AM   #103
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
You like to listen to your photos?
The K3iii supports 4K30p video.
01-15-2021, 03:22 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
Apparently, he has no clue about the K-3 Mark III and doesn't even care if there is one.
01-15-2021, 04:42 AM - 4 Likes   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Apparently, he has no clue about the K-3 Mark III and doesn't even care if there is one.
Photography forums are full of misnomers. I guess that's because cameras are too complicated for the average technically illiterate consumer to just decode inflated marketing promotion. Personally, I have to be very carreful about what I read in product review, because sometimes what I read is totally wrong. For instance, DPR posted a review update for the Panasonic S5 with the title "Top-notch high-res mode: Panasonic Lumix S5 review update" , which simple doesn't even fare as well as a Pentax K1 single shot, the 96Mpixels pixel shift of the S5 is just empty mega pixels, if I compare a K1 PS upsized to 96Mpixels, the K1 resolves more, BUT DPReview present the S5 high resolution mode as excellent, while they barely considered the K1 and even presented Pentax pixel shift as a "not working" feature. All this poor marketing is mostly rubbish. If I'd have to stop at every camera evaluation that is actually wrong, it'd be a never ending story. I just get the raw files and do my own comparisons, and draw my own conclusions, as opposed to relying on online reviews that are mostly sponsored (and biased) reviews.