Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2021, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
They say the K-1 has too many buttons? Then I guess the D850, D5, and D6 are terrible cameras because they have even more buttons.
I use the buttons I need and ignore the others until I need them also - better than depending on menus as Sony does - but apparently the complainers don’t understand that.

01-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use the buttons I need and ignore the others until I need them also - better than depending on menus as Sony does - but apparently the complainers don’t understand that.
This^^^^^^ x infinity!
01-15-2021, 08:53 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There are bugs and issues, the kind you'd have with any product; and then there's releasing an incomplete product. The Z7, of course, was no Cyberpunk 2077.
But I agree with you that folks are more lenient with other brands.
Did you two miss the past two years of people saying Nikon has the worst mirrorless AF? It's taken them 2 years, 3 firmware updates, and now double processor version 2 of those cameras to try and recover from that lol. I don't think they slipped by unoticed. I own a Z camera. Canon's AF is better bar none at the moment. Nikon's good enough for me, but I was trained on Pentax AF-C so I've got all the tricks in my back pocket.

Here's to hoping Pentax nails it with this K-33 and raises the bar.
01-15-2021, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Have you had the chance to take a look at the video? At around 55 minutes (give or take) they are outside shooting AF.C and the camera seems to nail focus of a person walking fast without issues. It's looking good IMO.

01-15-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

Did you two miss the past two years of people saying Nikon has the worst mirrorless AF? It's taken them 2 years, 3 firmware updates, and now double processor version 2 of those cameras to try and recover from that lol. I don't think they slipped by unoticed. I own a Z camera. Canon's AF is better bar none at the moment. Nikon's good enough for me, but I was trained on Pentax AF-C so I've got all the tricks in my back pocket.

I did have a look of this video this thread is about. And so far any AF mode has been improved. With out doubt. I suppose, people with -Pentax AF training- at their CV are going to be in to a treat
01-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn`t understand much on this video but the fact I see the K3III in action makes me glad. Thanks for shareing.
01-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Have you had the chance to take a look at the video? At around 55 minutes (give or take) they are outside shooting AF.C and the camera seems to nail focus of a person walking fast without issues. It's looking good IMO.
Just quickly, I'll find the portions and have a look tonight once I'm finished with work for the day. I'm excited if they make big gains in AF-C.

01-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just quickly, I'll find the portions and have a look tonight once I'm finished with work for the day. I'm excited if they make big gains in AF-C.
I just double checked, try 46:30. It's a series of 6 or 7 shots with the PLM, so not razor thin DoF but it looks good (albeit, of course, no critical examination considering the quality of the video of the LCD...)
01-15-2021, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

Is there anything besides a person walking fast? BIF in there?

TBH I think the current K-3 can handle people walking fast in AF-C or slower subjects like a dog trotting, it's pretty tough though with really fast-moving objects to get consistent hits with shallow DOF. Like a motorcycle coming in through a corner fast, dogs at full sprint at shallow DOF, Birds in flight. You get some hits but it's like half what I get with my D-750 or Z-5. If they can get the K33 to D-750 standards or higher I'd be perfectly happy, that's good enough for my needs. If they can get it to D-500/850 or beyond that to Canon R5/6 standards or better that would be amazing and a huge leap forward. It would tie up the only weak spot for me in Pentax camera body's. I haven't tried the newer lenses but I assume they have motors similar to all the other modern glass out there, very fast to make use of fast AF-C systems.

All I'm looking for in this one is on par AF-C with camera's that get the job done consistently. It doesn't need to beat everything, just get back up with the pack if that makes sense.

---------- Post added 01-15-2021 at 12:07 PM ----------

I just double checked, try 46:30. It's a series of 6 or 7 shots with the PLM, so not razor thin DoF but it looks good (albeit, of course, no critical examination considering the quality of the video of the LCD...)
Thanks, I'll sneak a look here in a bit. As mentioned I don't think Pentax needs to crush the Canon R5/6 to keep everyone happy. If they can match the D-750 or later camera's that's good enough IMO with that fast framerate it would be a superior camera for action in that case.
01-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Still lenient. "Comes up a little short" vs. "WaterFAILS" lenient.
01-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Still lenient. "Comes up a little short" vs. "WaterFAILS" lenient.
I guess, the YouTubers have written off Nikon as a bankrupt failed company that can't autofocus for a damn. Web articles like DPreview less so, but they've been calling eye AF "eyelash AF" until the most recent versions.

Pentax is totally off the radar on Youtube for the most part, as they typically are focused on video.

I didn't see the liveview section of the video, i did briefly watch the AF-C but it's hard to see the screen and tell if everything is actually in focus. If it is that's better performance than previous versions although I'd like to see something truly fast moving. And for the love of god can they buy a gopro that has image stabilization to make those videos lol. Shaky cam doesn't need to be a thing anymore.

If they used one of the sensors that mirrorless is using, like how NIkon used the same sensor as the Z6 but with two AF systems then maybe this one will have extremely fast live view as well. I wasn't really thinking of liveview when i bought the Z5 but I'm actually using a lot more then i expected because it's super fast. Something I didn't do on DSLR because the PDAF systems were so much faster than contrast detect.

I hope that's the case with this new K33. Hit it out of the park Pentax!
01-15-2021, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still waiting for the video of someone on the sidelines using a K-3iii and a PLM to flawlessly track Lionel Messi dribbling through and around seven defenders. At 12 fps. Then I'll be happy.
01-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #118
Pentaxian

I guess, the YouTubers have written off Nikon as a bankrupt failed company that can't autofocus for a damn. Web articles like DPreview less so, but they've been calling eye AF "eyelash AF" until the most recent versions.

Pentax is totally off the radar on Youtube for the most part, as they typically are focused on video.

I didn't see the liveview section of the video, i did briefly watch the AF-C but it's hard to see the screen and tell if everything is actually in focus. If it is that's better performance than previous versions although I'd like to see something truly fast moving. And for the love of god can they buy a gopro that has image stabilization to make those videos lol. Shaky cam doesn't need to be a thing anymore.

If they used one of the sensors that mirrorless is using, like how NIkon used the same sensor as the Z6 but with two AF systems then maybe this one will have extremely fast live view as well. I wasn't really thinking of liveview when i bought the Z5 but I'm actually using a lot more then i expected because it's super fast. Something I didn't do on DSLR because the PDAF systems were so much faster than contrast detect.

I hope that's the case with this new K33. Hit it out of the park Pentax!
What you don't see is that with Pentax it's consistent. Pentax is always doomed, Pentax can't focus on static subjects, Pentax has the failed strategy because all cameras must be of the same type. Or they simply don't exist.
Well, guys like The PhotographyApparatusSettlement briefly try to promote Pentax, hoping they'd make money out of it and be promoted to Ambassadors; when they fail, they start bashing hard, in revenge.
I hope Ricoh Imaging will manage to improve that, through visibility. It won't be easy.

Unfortunately, amateur videos made out of passion - like this one - aren't terribly well made and informative. It's logical, as one needs to gain experience at it.
Like you, I can't figure out the performance from it.
01-15-2021, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
There is even a new Pentax ambassador who says she is using it but can't tell us much yet. See her site here.
Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here.
She seems to come from the Ken Rockwell School of Saturation.
01-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
She seems to come from the Ken Rockwell School of Saturation.
Not quite that bad Bill!