Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2021, 01:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
... some features, like face detection in LV and some other AF-functions seem to be tied to P mode exclusively.
I missed this! Where did you see it?

01-22-2021, 02:01 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With how good this system looks might as well leave the camera on P the entire time.

I continue being amazed by the attention to all details related to the *act* of photographing. If the AF-C is competent enough to get a good ratio of keepers with birding this might be the best APS-C camera in the market.
01-22-2021, 02:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
With how good this system looks might as well leave the camera on P the entire time.

I continue being amazed by the attention to all details related to the *act* of photographing. If the AF-C is competent enough to get a good ratio of keepers with birding this might be the best APS-C camera in the market.
^^ Exactly my thoughts too
01-22-2021, 02:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I missed this! Where did you see it?
Thank you for the question. It is a good one. The short answer is I might have mixed up some things and there isn't anything tied to P-mode.

I might have combined some facts about the
AF tracking

QuoteQuote:
Auto Tracking
Working with the PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System, this function accurately detects the subject’s motion based on various factors including color and speed, then keeps pinpoint focus on the subject throughout the imaging process by automatically shifting the in-focus point.*

* This function is available when the camera’s AF mode is set to AF.C (Continuous AF) or AF.A (Auto Select AF).
and Scene Analyze AUTO
QuoteQuote:
When using the optical viewfinder, the system is assisted by an algorithm developed through the use of deep learning artificial intelligence technology to perform more complete scene assessment. Simply by setting the camera’s mode dial to AUTO (Scene Analyze AUTO), you are assured of the best finishing touch for each image.
with the fact of the availability of face detection in LV.

I don't use tracking and face detection, thus I might be not fully aware of it's functions.

But to come back to the topic. I very much appreciate this refinement. It really gives you so much flexibility with P mode that it rarely will have to be changed. There is still the green AUTO mode. Maybe it will provide even more automation, just seeing how the granularity of the sensors for Real Time Scene Analysis got much finer.

Last edited by MMVIII; 01-22-2021 at 02:56 AM.
01-22-2021, 03:52 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Forum Member

Am I the only one who thinks this feature is completely silly because Pentax DSLRs have long had an easy-to-use wheel for setting the exposure mode? It seems to me more and more as if Ricoh is selling already existing technology with this Pentax as something new and at the same time dispensing with a swivelling display.
01-22-2021, 04:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
But to come back to the topic. I very much appreciate this refinement. It really gives you so much flexibility with P mode that it rarely will have to be changed.
Absolutely. +1
01-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
Am I the only one who thinks this feature is completely silly because Pentax DSLRs have long had an easy-to-use wheel for setting the exposure mode? It seems to me more and more as if Ricoh is selling already existing technology with this Pentax as something new and at the same time dispensing with a swivelling display.
@Sindbad,
No, you're not the only one. How many ways and dials does one need to change aperture, speed and ISO, and to correct exposure ??? Where is the Pentax heritage of sleek bodies and nimble interface ? And where is the hybrid viewfinder ???

01-22-2021, 04:49 AM   #23
Forum Member

"Am I the only one who thinks this feature is completely silly because Pentax DSLRs have long had an easy-to-use wheel for setting the exposure mode? It seems to me more and more as if Ricoh is selling already existing technology with this Pentax as something new and at the same time dispensing with a swivelling display."

I won´t go this far (since I really don´t miss the flippy screen due to the fact that the existing one is stable in terms of brightness over big viewing angles - so even in ground level I see the picture quite well and I don´t have to lay down on the ground .... but I understand people who really care about this topic!)...

...but I´ve to agree, that I´ve the feeling Pentax is beating about the bush (hopefully the more or less 1:1 German translation into English is correct): no one really is worried about Pentax ergonomics ... ability to get old lenses on new cameras ...shutter damping...excellent prism design...
...all those nice story they told us.
The main topic - the issue that was always the big (!) criticism is not mentioned till now. And Pentax also know this main issue.

Why is there no information about their new Safox AF? Personal opinion: for god sake it would be better to rename it - otherwise I have the fear that it i really a Safox "whatevernumber".

Pentax...or Mr Wakashiro: you have now a lot of AF points. Can you deal with this? Did you have time enough to construct a good algorithm for the 100 points? There were no complains by accuracy finding focus...and the speed is with PLM glasses also good..

But there was no really intelligence using the points....giving one information to the next point...using the (now even higher) resolution of the light metering sensor to really identify (!) what´s going on.
There were so may nice pdf brochure showing what the K3 (and even better the K3II) is able to do with this combo ... but when I´ve a far easier scenario than the one mentioned in the pdf (daughter dressed complete in red running towards me on a monochrome green background) ... nothing really "intelligent" happens by the LEDs in the OVF....

I hope that they spend this information for their final (!) announcement...otherwise I´ve the fear that Pentax is not really self confident about this most discussed topic.

I wrote this in the German forum (so please German readers don´t beat me, when you read this again ;-) ):

Last edited by licht96; 01-22-2021 at 04:58 AM. Reason: mistake
01-22-2021, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
"Am I the only one who thinks this feature is completely silly because Pentax DSLRs have long had an easy-to-use wheel for setting the exposure mode? It seems to me more and more as if Ricoh is selling already existing technology with this Pentax as something new and at the same time dispensing with a swivelling display."

I won´t go this far (since I really don´t miss the flippy screen due to the fact that the existing one is stable in terms of brightness over big viewing angles - so even in ground level I see the picture quite well and I don´t have to lay down on the ground .... but I understand people who really care about this topic!)...

...but I´ve to agree, that I´ve the feeling Pentax is beating about the bush (hopefully the more or less 1:1 German translation into English is correct): no one really is worried about Pentax ergonomics ... ability to get old lenses on new cameras ...shutter damping...excellent prism design...
The main topic - the issue that was always the big (!) criticism is not mentioned till now. And Pentax also know this main issue.

Why is there no information about their new Safox AF? Personal opinion: for god sake it would be better to rename it - otherwise I have the fear that it i really a Safox "whatevernumber".

Pentax...or Mr Wakashiro: you have now a lot of AF points. Can you deal with this? Did you have time enough to construct a good algorithm for the 100 points? There were no complains by accuracy finding focus...and the speed is with PLM glasses also good..

But there was no really intelligence using the points....giving one information to the next point...using the (now even higher) resolution of the light metering sensor to really identify (!) what´s going on.
There were so may nice pdf brochure showing what the K3 (and even better the K3II) is able to do with this combo ... but when I´ve a far easier scenario than the one mentioned in the pdf (daughter dressed complete in red running towards me on a monochrome green background) ... nothing really "intelligent" happens by the LEDs in the OVF....

I hope that they spend this information for their final (!) announcement...otherwise I´ve the fear that Pentax is not really self confident about this most discussed topic.

I wrote this in the German forum (so please German readers don´t beat me, when you read this again ;-) ):
I think by now they know that any claim they make about AF will be met with a good bunch of "yeah sure", so they are not even bothering. The improved tracking is what EVERYONE will focus (hah) on release. All the little touches will get drowned, and this is a nice way to let the designers be proud of them.

---------- Post added 01-22-21 at 05:09 AM ----------

Everything in every camera is existing technology, though . Not like anyone is reinventing any wheel here.
01-22-2021, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I think by now they know that any claim they make about AF will be met with a good bunch of "yeah sure", so they are not even bothering. The improved tracking is what EVERYONE will focus (hah) on release. All the little touches will get drowned, and this is a nice way to let the designers be proud of them.
Since we keep wanting more information, they're doing it right.

Yeah, they will talk about image quality, autofocus and performance in general after the camera is released. Otherwise there's not much to say about it, right?
And they'd want to really push this camera when people can buy it (or close).
01-22-2021, 05:23 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Since we keep wanting more information, they're doing it right.

Yeah, they will talk about image quality, autofocus and performance in general after the camera is released. Otherwise there's not much to say about it, right?
And they'd want to really push this camera when people can buy it (or close).
The engineer in me genuinely squeals with glee every time we get these bits and pieces
Particularly the last one with getting the exposure for non-A lenses built-in with the shutter press - a couple times I've thought "WHY isn't this like P-TTL" after forgetting the green button press... and now they go and do it. Brilliant.

I'm not even in the market for this thing and I'm fanboying about it already, send help.
01-22-2021, 05:36 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh / Pentax will have a story line and overall general tension bow for these K-3 III infos. So let's just stay patient and enjoy every single step.
01-22-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlainCo Quote
@Sindbad,
No, you're not the only one. How many ways and dials does one need to change aperture, speed and ISO, and to correct exposure ??? Where is the Pentax heritage of sleek bodies and nimble interface ? And where is the hybrid viewfinder ???
One needs only one method, but which method one chooses depends on which one is most convenient for the person involved.
Pentax never promised a hybrid viewfinder, as far as I can remember.
They keep talking about making photography fun, and the various external controls fit perfectly well into that paradigm.
Personally, I use 'TAv' mode when shooting [moving} animals, and 'P' mode when shooting landscapes with my KP.
I find the third e-dial to be very convenient in the latter case to control ISO. and I am very glad Pentax provides it.
01-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I’m sorry. It could be that I miss understood something. But you say they should not use those great inventions they’v made, like 3 wheel system, which is just getting better now? I love ’new’ wheels on my K-1 and have to say they this new thing is much better how they have done it. Loving that big display at the top too, so you can see settings very well.

Forget about that swivel already.

---------- Post added 01-22-21 at 18:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
One needs only one method, but which method one chooses depends on which one is most convenient for the person involved.
Pentax never promised a hybrid viewfinder, as far as I can remember.
They keep talking about making photography fun, and the various external controls fit perfectly well into that paradigm.
Personally, I use 'TAv' mode when shooting [moving} animals, and 'P' mode when shooting landscapes with my KP.
I find the third e-dial to be very convenient in the latter case to control ISO. and I am very glad Pentax provides it.
Have to admit that I’v overlooked P -mode completelly so far. Today I did switch from M to P. Just for fun to try it out. I could recon that it does take some time to get used to something like this. But so far it does seem. Pretty good AND should have put ISO on the third wheel. Seems like handy way to get the Result you were looking for. More intuitiveness and I do use my -green button- quite a bit. Funny. Would not have switched from M to this otherwise... now I just have to dial +\- compensation accordingly and choose metering mode and it seems pretty good.

Last edited by repaap; 01-22-2021 at 09:09 AM.
01-22-2021, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I'm with you on the AF thing. The AF performance is the only thing I'm waiting to find out. Ricoh has given us a spec sheet, but it doesn't tell the whole story. I have a feeling that they're holding a lot of the camera's info on purpose. Ricoh will more than likely show off the camera & its capabilities during CP+. Hopefully it will have been worth the wait, according to what they've been telling us.