11-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting Take on DSLR Market

(Pentax is almost No 3... Canon is 8th from last) :ugh:

------------

Interesting news item from the folks that produce the annual PMA show:

Exisiting DSLR owners want new models, according to Japanese online survey

Kakaku.com , a well-known website in Japan providing price comparison services recently disclosed the result of a survey it conducted in September on DSLR users, reports JPEA International PEN News Weekly. Close to 5,000 registered users of the site participated in the survey.

About 56 percent of respondents owned a DSLR and 88.7 percent of respondents owned DSLR(s) and compact digital camera(s). Compared with the same survey conducted a year and half ago, responses from those who owned a compact digital camera alone decreased nearly 20 percent while DSLR owners increased 19 percent, indicating many compact digital camera users have newly purchased DSLRs.

The brands of DSLRs owned include: Canon at 49 percent, Nikon at 33.7 percent, Olympus at 15.0 percent, Pentax at 14.3 percent, Sony at 11.3 percent, Fujifilm at 5.1 percent, Panasonic at 5.0 percent, and Sigma at 0.4 percent. Sony is quickly extending the share and the race for the third place is getting keen, according to the survey.

Purchase prices of most frequently used DSLRs were as follows: 70,000 to 100,000 (US$700 to US$1,000) at 27.2 percent, less than 70,000 at 22.1 percent, and 100,000 to 130,000 (US$1,000 to US$1,300) at 20.3 percent. More users bought a DSLR priced more than 250,000 (US$2,500) than those who bought cameras priced between 200,000 and 250,000 (US$2,000 to US$2,500), indicating that over a certain price point features and performance are decisive factors than price. The majority of the DSLR cameras purchased were entry-level models for less than 100,000.

DSLR users were generally satisfied with their cameras, however, current models outranked the models introduced three to five years ago as the performance of DSLRs has greatly advanced in last couple of years. Users particularly appreciated the live view function, according to the survey.

As to the number of lenses users own, three to four lenses topped the list at 32.4 percent followed by two lenses 25.7 percent, five to nine lenses 21.4 percent, one lens 12.7 percent, 10 to 14 lenses at 3.9 percent, and more than 15 lenses 1.8 percent.

Roughly 70 percent of respondents plan to buy a DSLR or expect to buy one. Present owners of DSLRs were distinctively more wishful to buy another. Among the respondents who did not own a DSLR, about 50 percent were thinking of buying a DSLR and 20 percent positively wished to buy a DSLR. On the other hand, 30-40 percent of respondents did not want to buy a DSLR.

------------

Source: CameraHobby - Home

-------------

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-17-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Update
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info
11-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

A survey isn't really comparable to actual market share figures. From what I read Sony is number three.
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be that the market share data is a bit old, as that was indeed how it looked not too long ago.

11-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
cyg

Or maybe they are different market shares. The numbers above seem to reflect the camera *owned*, regardless of when it was bought, while the usual market share figures reflect the number of cameras pushed out on the market in a given (recent) period.

Sony will probably overtake both Pentax and Oly in share of ownership as they seem to sell 2-3 times as many units these days.
11-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I am mildly distraught that LBA isn't quite as common as my disease told me it is. Only ~5% with ten or more lenses.

Oh, that's right, I keep forgetting that other brands aren't as backwards compatible as Pentax.

More than 5% of Pentax owners who participate in online photography forums have ten lenses or more, right?
11-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
I am mildly distraught that LBA isn't quite as common as my disease told me it is. Only ~5% with ten or more lenses.

Oh, that's right, I keep forgetting that other brands aren't as backwards compatible as Pentax.

More than 5% of Pentax owners who participate in online photography forums have ten lenses or more, right?
For Sony owners their Minolta lenses are backwards compatible with AF at that.
11-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Well, not the manual ones, that should be taken as given.

11-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I am really suprised about the live view feature. I recently had a chance while on vacation with friends to try the new Olympus with the live view. Even though I tried to use it, old habits die hard. The feature would be wasted on me. With a battery grip and plenty of memory on board, set your camera for bracketing and display for histogram and light/dark and blaze away!
11-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 71Matador250 Quote
I am really suprised about the live view feature. I recently had a chance while on vacation with friends to try the new Olympus with the live view. Even though I tried to use it, old habits die hard. The feature would be wasted on me.
I perfectly agree with that, but you also have to consider that most of the DSLR sold are entry-level cameras, and a lot of people who buy these cameras had only P&S or no experience at all with photography. For them, usable Live View is definitely a huge feature and certainly a big selling argument (Sony and Oly probably see it that way)
11-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Hey, I went straight from film SLRs to the first live-view DSLR, the Oly E-330, and I have to say it really was useful from the start for certain photos where I would otherwise have to finangle myself into very uncomfortable positions. Ground-level shooting and the like.