Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
To the contrary, my DA*300 demolishes my old M* 300 which is no slouch.
Me: "DA* aren't better than FA*s..."

You: "Not true: my DA* is better than my old M..."

OK...

12-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Depends upon your intended application

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
If you are taking a general snapshot, then just about any pentax lens at any price will do, no need to waste money there. Even the crappiest FAJ series lens with a lot of PP work will be ok. (but if you are shooting a few hundred or a thousand shots at a wedding, then that PP will be way too much).

But where the DA* come in handy and worth the extra money to those who need those features. If you are shooting a wedding (or in a church or in a jazz club), then even though the older lenses might yield a similar result for a fraction of the price, the quieter focusing is worth it right there. (this is money for the lens itself and shooting experience, not the end photo)

If you are really picky or you have a picky client and do a lot of shooting wide open or that involves bokeh in any serious manner, then I see how 9 rounded aperture blades will impart a better effect than 8 straight blades could, so for those people, probably worth the money right there. (this is money for the end photo)

If the new lenses have less PF and CA and require less PP work and you shoot a whole bunch of photos and you save some time, then perhaps worth the extra cost there. (this is money for your time)

If you are out on the beach with the sand and salt air or shooting in such types of conditions, then having a sealed lens, probably gonna have some value there for those people. (this is money for the lens itself and the shooting experience, not the end photo).

Something for everyone, something for everyone's likes, everyone's needs, everyone's whims, everyone's complaints, and everyone's budget. A true win-win, no losers here, as the FA50 is still being sold, and countless A50 and M50, M42's, old converted thingies and Russian jobbies and new-old-stock Sears lenses, lens babies, old schneider enlarging lenses with homemade tilt-shift bellows made out of duct tape (aka the PiRaTe)

hope you are not still confused.
12-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #48
Veteran Member

My was more related to the strange argument used by jpingp...

It's like saying that the new 207 from Peugeot is quite a bit more expensive than the previous 206 without being significantly better and being told that this is not true because jpingp found his brand new 207 clearly better than his 1965 204!!

I just can't see what this argument proves, hence the
12-10-2008, 01:49 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
His argument could be valid if the A* version design is based on the M* and the DA* is a new design.

His argument is indeed a bit flawed but yours , IMO, is neither more valid (in general, individual case should be examined).

And btw, remember the DA* have SDM (dual AF in most cases) and weather sealing and weight less than FA*.

If this shouldn't translate into a price difference, it is up to you.

12-10-2008, 02:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I have been told so many times that pentax kit lens outperforms any lenses in history.
12-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In germany the lens price starts at €440 (US $ 570).
detail info about prices in germany

in Greece the Pentax official price is €639. You will find lower prices in stores and maybe there will be changes even at the official price before the actual dispatching ...

Dispatching is expected in 2 or 3 weeks from now...
12-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The coatings on the M* and DA* have different optical formulas and the DA* has ultra-low dispersion elements so I would expect them to perform differently. The best way to compare them would be to use the M* on film and the DA* on digital and then switch them around.

The F* and FA* have a different design than the DA* and also have extra-low dispersion elements. Based on the optical formula and eld, I would expect the FA* (and F*) to perform better optically than the DA*. However, the DA* is a tad faster and weather/dust sealed.
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone just bought a DA* 55mm from fleabay for $750 usd on a pre-order basis.
Pentax smc P-DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Macro Lens 21790 - eBay (item 120332123749 end time Jan-04-09 21:43:19 PST)

01-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Me: "DA* aren't better than FA*s..."

You: "Not true: my DA* is better than my old M..."

OK...
No, you said FA, not FA* - see the difference? Since we're talking about the DA*55, the point is that the DA* series are supposed to be premium optics, and are priced accordingly. These lenses have top-notch build quality, weather sealing and SDM. I would prefer that Pentax made ONLY premium optics, and left the consumer level lenses to 3rd parties - and the Pentax mount is already pretty well served by them.