Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beethovenspiano Quote
While the camera might look good on the outside... NONE of the samples ive seen so far are making me want to rush out and buy this camera sadly. Of the current crop of entry level cameras, I would say they are by far the worst in qulaity.
It's the same 10mp sensor we've come to know and love. I don't know why anyone would be too concerned about web samples. The K-m / K2000 is all about form factor.

11-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Just look at the little peephole of a viewfinder on the Olympus, which is one reason why I swear off the brand. What a joke.
Good point

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The good thing about the K-m is that the rear controls can all be accessed with only the right hand.
Very interesting, I hadn't thought of that
11-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

It sure is cute - now my main problem will be that my Plan: use giving daughter my K100D as cover for buying a K20/30 whatever is next - is in trouble. She liked using the K100d in photo camp, as it was nicer to hold and smaller than the canons and nikons the other kids were using. However, if she ever saw/handled this K-m it's all over.

If, say, grandma gets her one of these, I hope she'll let me borrow it...
11-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
From DPr :
"Below you can see the K-m beside three of its direct competitors: the Olympus E-420, Nikon D60 and the Canon EOS 1000D. Even within this circle of the smallest DSLRs on the market the Pentax is one of the more compact ones."
And the only body with image stabilization. That's a good comparison, and one stands out on that feature.

11-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
A friend of mine, who happens to be sponsored by pentax, is very happy with the image quality of the K-m. He just finished a project using the K-m alone (didn't bother to pull out his K20D) and ran a magazine cover with an ISO 1600 photo.

Edit: Here's a photo that I think is pretty nice (c/o Mark Dimalanta)

Why would the image quality be any worse than the K200D? Same sensor, same processing engine, etc. Awesome that your friend ran a cover, BTW. And at ISO 1600 too. Very cool.
11-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #21
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
It's too bad there's not a nice cheap pancake to go with it, maybe cheaper construction to keep costs low but a similar overall design?
Well the DA 40mm is about 250$ (Canadian) which is quite cheap for a prime, and it's as pancake as they get.

Although the focal lens is a bit odd on APS-C.
11-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I thought they were gonna compare it to a Contax G1...

Despite the K-M being bigger than the Lumix, I'd still rather have a real viewfinder.

11-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
That Lumix G-1 is cute!! I think my wife will love it!! How much is that thingy?
(rolling back a bit) And hi.

The G-1 runs to pricey, but it certainly is cute. I'm still skeptical about EVFs being something that are worth the size benefit, at least yet.

I'm pretty fond of Lumix products, (have been using an FZ-7 to go with my film gear for a few years now, the drawbacks are obvious to this type of thing, but very nice as these things go: as someone who shoots a lot of black and white film, this little guy has saved a lot of film that might have gone to snapshots and messing around and gotten me somewhat up to speed on this digital thing. ) Anyway, Lumix designs are nice and classy-looking, and handle well, but thus far for the G1, they don't seem to have come out with anything to compare to the Pentax Limited lenses for that Micro Four Thirds as yet, just a couple of slow zooms that are also pretty expensive, last I looked. Still, this type of thing might have a future. You get more controls with them, anyway.

I didn't know the K-M was that small... I'd assumed it was just a stripped-down newbie-friendly K200... If this K20 I'm getting proves too much to chunk around with my old Canons, it's nice to know they're out there. I don't want to give up my FD system, or be without B&W film, so what I figure is I can get like an MX body to tuck in with the digital for any occasion where I'd be carrying a lot of that, and otherwise, well, carry a bit heavy. That's what you get for splitting systems. But, my F-1's winder comes off, after all.

Chatter. Anyway, the size news is neat. Could be useful one day.
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, the Olympus is the one that looks most like a traditional (film) SLR. Who that appeals to in this market segment, though, is anyone's guess.

The other stand-out from the line-up is that the Canon 1000D is a monster by comparison. No doubt the retailers will push it on the basis that it's a Canon, but I can't see too many starters being impressed by it if there's a line-up like this!
11-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

I have to say that K-m looks great with DA40. I just wish they had made it without the grip. You know those classic square bodies of ME or other old film cameras... anyway, I think K-m will get Pentax some following
11-26-2008, 03:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I still don't understand why pentax won't make a rangefinder type of camera without the mirror assembly it might come out quite compact and light.
11-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I still don't understand why pentax won't make a rangefinder type of camera without the mirror assembly it might come out quite compact and light.

maybe because Pentax pretty much pioneered the SLR, and nearly their entire company history has been based around it. having said that, they have created prototypes of mirror-less cameras with a K mount.
11-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Actually, the Olympus is the one that looks most like a traditional (film) SLR. Who that appeals to in this market segment, though, is anyone's guess.
it appeals to me. if the E-420 had a larger sensor and viewfinder I would buy one. not to replace my pentax gear but to compliment it. personally I don't like the current look of DSLR's, Pentax included. I wish Pentax would go in the direction Olympus is going concerning aesthetics, unfortunately that's the only thing about Olympus I currently like. Pentax has the lenses both old and new to perfectly compliment a more 'traditional' styled DSLR, I don't see why they haven't pursued it. having said that I think the K2000 is a decent looking camera.

I would like to get my hands on a set of those triangle strap lugs with the plastic protector on them for my MX,
11-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also kind of prefer the Olympus body type, if they'd offer more primes and a non-panasonic sensor (people are begging for a fuji sensor) and weather sealing in the cheaper bodies I probably wouldn't be switching, I don't consider the slightly smaller sensor a serious problem.
11-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I have to say that K-m looks great with DA40. I just wish they had made it without the grip. You know those classic square bodies of ME or other old film cameras... anyway, I think K-m will get Pentax some following
The grip has to be there to make room for the batteries. They could probably get rid of it if they switched to a lithium power pack, which of course has its own pluses and minuses.

I find 40mm to be a very nice focal length on APS-C, by the way. It's like a normal lens which automatically forces you to crop a little closer, which is the lazy way to automatically make stronger photographs.