Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #496
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,423
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But I don't consider the HD FA Limiteds "new products"; they're old products updated, so naturally I expected more.
New product announcement just landed: Pentax is announcing the HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW zoom - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com


Last edited by gatorguy; 02-26-2021 at 10:11 AM.
02-26-2021, 04:56 AM   #497
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Warsaw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Only showing re-coated decades old lenses is not a good thing. The re-coating and contined production of FA limiteds is in itself great but I'm sure a huge let down for the Pentax staff that it's the only thing they can show.

I agree that Pentax, Leica and Zeiss seem to work at a similar slow pace but for Pentax it's an issue imho. Without release dates for the new apsc lens and the DFA21 it's really taking to long. I understand the reluctance to put forward dates at the moment but more info would be welcome.

By the way Ricoh having factories in Vietnam should put them in an excellent position. They have handled covid extremely well as far as I understand.
Just one "bottleneck" in whole chain of formal decisions in the proces can stop or slow the pace for months/years even in best planned operations and development. At one point in my life I was assigned for project that was completely scrapped because of one such decision blocker on final stages of production- whole thing just got redundant because all other factors changed so much in that time it was more profitable to scrap it than release it.
And bigger the company gets, the more such bottlenecks will appear when along the way if something "unpredicted" happens and is missing from current procedures.
02-26-2021, 05:05 AM   #498
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 219
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If so, it wasn't my intention. Anyway, if you buy a Sony camera you basically buy a computer. If you buy a Leica or Hasselblad camera you buy a camera and a look (how the images of pre-processed and processed).
My opinion on the matter is that if you'd have Leica and Hasselblad, and Sony image printed in an exhibition, the public will have a preference for the Leica/Hassy image, even if the Sony gear is technically superior in terms of speed and resolution, Sony image processing has no taste. These brands have diametrically opposed ideas of what a camera should do. Pentax is closer to Leica and Hassy than it is to Sony, both in terms of image rendering , product styles and product life cycles. If I was given the choice of getting a Leica kit or Sony A1 kit, I'll take the Leica anytime, just because the 30 frames per seconds of the A1 doesn't excite me at all. Give me an old Leica kit and I'll be inspired to go out shooting just because of the Leica kit and the images it produces.
I don't think that anybody can differ with what camera / lens an image was taken. It would be too much of a challenge to guess apsc, ff or mf for most images.Gear is the photographer's taste. The image is, luckily, mostly free of it.
02-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #499
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,304
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Only showing re-coated decades old lenses is not a good thing. The re-coating and contined production of FA limiteds is in itself great but I'm sure a huge let down for the Pentax staff that it's the only thing they can show.

I agree that Pentax, Leica and Zeiss seem to work at a similar slow pace but for Pentax it's an issue imho. Without release dates for the new apsc lens and the DFA21 it's really taking to long. I understand the reluctance to put forward dates at the moment but more info would be welcome.

By the way Ricoh having factories in Vietnam should put them in an excellent position. They have handled covid extremely well as far as I understand.
Perhapss this is part of honoring legacy of Pentax 100yrs. and this is part of what is their bigger program od renewing good oldies, like DFA 35/3.5(645 mount), FA 35/2 and now these with more to come. It is more than 'just' coatings, they also fix some other things too.


Then there are completelly new lenses ofcourse. as well as rebadged practical zooms.

02-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #500
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,361
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I highly doubt that a lens that still has unknown max aperture is set to be released this year.

As for Covid, we can't blame literally everything on it. Manufacturing is delayed, fine, but design stage shouldn't be impacted in a major way.
Manufacturing is only a part of the total.
02-26-2021, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Llanelli, Wales
Posts: 5,352
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But why do people feel that we *need* new stuff?
I think for a lot of people it's not about personal need for new stuff NOW but about Pentax being a brand that attracts new customers to replace the aging loyal, and that requires excitement around the brand - so maybe long term rather than short term personal need, but a cause for concern nonetheless - if you look at the cheap anti-Pentax jokes on DPR (for instance) a lot of them are about the tiny user base and slow speed of product releases - if that's the image out there then it takes perverse or experienced people not to be put off the brand
02-26-2021, 05:23 AM - 3 Likes   #502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 415
QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Originally posted by biz-engineer*
If so, it wasn't my intention. Anyway, if you buy a Sony camera you basically buy a computer. If you buy a Leica or Hasselblad camera you buy a camera and a look (how the images of pre-processed and processed).
My opinion on the matter is that if you'd have Leica and Hasselblad, and Sony image printed in an exhibition, the public will have a preference for the Leica/Hassy image, even if the Sony gear is technically superior in terms of speed and resolution, Sony image processing has no taste. These brands have diametrically opposed ideas of what a camera should do. Pentax is closer to Leica and Hassy than it is to Sony, both in terms of image rendering , product styles and product life cycles. If I was given the choice of getting a Leica kit or Sony A1 kit, I'll take the Leica anytime, just because the 30 frames per seconds of the A1 doesn't excite me at all. Give me an old Leica kit and I'll be inspired to go out shooting just because of the Leica kit and the images it produces.
I am afraid you lost me there. The key part of any photography system is the photographer. A great photographer will nearly always produce a better photograph with the most basic of equipment than a mediocre photographer with the latest and greatest (even a Leica).
My new KP helps me to make photographs that are better exposed and focussed than was the case when I first started, but it doesn't do anything to convert me into anything more than a mediocre photographer with the occasional moment of brilliance (very occasional).
02-26-2021, 05:27 AM - 3 Likes   #503
dbs
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,019
34 pages of whinging enough already.
The camera and lenses will be available when they are available.
Thats it

02-26-2021, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
troenaas's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 649
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The camera and lenses will be available when they are available.
You are too rational!
02-26-2021, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,982
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's because you unconsciously bought into the philosophy of what mainstream camera brands are striving on: frequent releases over quick obsolescence of electronic/computing technologies.
The spirit of the Pentax brand distinguishes itself from other brands (Leica and Zeiss excepted), as genuine photographic continuity with long time tradition back into the roots of the film era.
Maybe , you'll switch to another brand in the next coming years, they will provide you will frequent product changes, may include changing lens mounts as well.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If so, it wasn't my intention. Anyway, if you buy a Sony camera you basically buy a computer. If you buy a Leica or Hasselblad camera you buy a camera and a look (how the images of pre-processed and processed).
My opinion on the matter is that if you'd have Leica and Hasselblad, and Sony image printed in an exhibition, the public will have a preference for the Leica/Hassy image, even if the Sony gear is technically superior in terms of speed and resolution, Sony image processing has no taste.
We all have our unconscious conceits and biases. Some of us get a little shot of oxytocin and dopamine when Pentax releases a camera once every three years, some buy into the marketing schemes that say you could see a photo on the wall of an exhibition and use the Force to divine what brand of camera it was taken with.
02-26-2021, 05:45 AM - 3 Likes   #506
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 581
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The camera and lenses will be available when they are available.
...or later.
02-26-2021, 09:32 AM - 4 Likes   #507
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,052
Speaking as a moderator: any reason not to shut down this thread at this point?
02-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,017
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Speaking as a moderator: any reason not to shut down this thread at this point?
None whatsoever IMO.

K-3iii's delayed, we can either trust the stated reasons or not, it will come out when it comes out.
02-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #509
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 867
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Speaking as a moderator: any reason not to shut down this thread at this point?
Just do it, 35 pages of this has gone on too long
02-26-2021, 10:09 AM - 7 Likes   #510
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,649
Excellent question TexAndrews.

Th-Th-That's all folks!

This camera release is eagerly awaited so...

Thread closed.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-26-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
akm, aps-c, bit, camera, cameras, canon or nikon, canon/nikon, cp, customers, development, lack, market, market share, mirrorless, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, price, profit, reports, ricoh, screen, share, time, translation, word, yen
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP today or K3iii in a month? UncleVanya Pentax DSLR Discussion 138 02-09-2021 03:52 PM
Should I go for K1ii or K3iii I really need some help mactrash Pentax DSLR Discussion 32 02-09-2021 06:57 AM
For Sale - Sold: Zacuto "Pro" Viewfinder Kit - For Pentax K3iii, K3ii, K3, K-1, or K-1ii cameras Fenwoodian Sold Items 2 01-21-2021 12:32 PM
What if the new models are postponed indefinitely. Reportage Photographic Technique 52 09-02-2010 08:50 AM
People My last Pentax photos...indefinitely ChainbreakR Post Your Photos! 5 05-28-2010 04:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top