Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 625 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
A 12fps and 4K 30p in the current industry standard are not acceptable for a flagship. Especially it targets for a price with $2500 tag or even higher. It cannot compete with other brands with similar price Fuji T4,Sony A4R4 or Canon R6 .... it is doomed to be cancelled or postponed indefinitely.,.
The Fuji X-T4 has a maximum FPS of 15 using the mechanical shutter.

Where are you getting "$2500 tag or even higher" from?

02-17-2021, 07:31 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A 12fps and 4K 30p in the current industry standard are not acceptable for a flagship. Especially it targets for a price with $2500 tag or even higher. It cannot compete with other brands with similar price Fuji T4,Sony A4R4 or Canon R6 .... it is doomed to be cancelled or postponed indefinitely.,.
You can't compare a DSLR with mirrorless cameras as though they are interchangeable. Video has never been a focus (pardon the pun) for Pentax, and I don't anticipate that it ever will be. For a camera which is about still photography, I don't see that lack of performance in video "dooms" it to oblivion. There's major component supply issues at the moment, and they are affecting many companies, not just Ricoh and not just the camera industry.
02-17-2021, 07:32 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Seems to be a common problem now, not limited to Ricoh or just the camera industry.
Yep.

GM, Ford, etc...are all having problems with their supply chains, particularly electronic chips. Don't know if this is the Pentax issue...but......
02-17-2021, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Where are you getting "$2500 tag or even higher" from?
The same blogger everyone else gets that number from...

Steve

02-17-2021, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Yep.

GM, Ford, etc...are all having problems with their supply chains, particularly electronic chips. Don't know if this is the Pentax issue...but......
That is a reasonable assumption.

Steve
02-17-2021, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Chinese New Year compounded by Covid19.....

Hang up and DRIVE!
02-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Yes... 20000+ upper Yen means 2000$ - 3000$. I take the median...

02-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
"Blogger", eh? I must have missed something, or my memory is failing. *Edit: duh, now I realize what you're saying...

FWIW, when I just Googled "Pentax K-3 III price" I'm seeing various sites estimating $1900-2000.

Last edited by luftfluss; 02-17-2021 at 07:48 PM.
02-17-2021, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes... 20000+ upper Yen means 2000$ - 3000$. I take the median...
So then why did you state, "...or even higher", and not "...or even lower"?
02-17-2021, 07:44 PM - 8 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
People have been converting a vague yen price range into dollars and assuming that will be the US list price. However, if one goes to the Ricoh JP site and compares the price for a K-1 ii there to a K-1 ii on the Ricoh US site, you will find that the US price is lower than you would find if you just converted the JP price from yen to USD. Until the actual list prices in JPY, USD, and EUR are announced, there’s not any trying to guess what the price will be.
02-17-2021, 07:45 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Yep.

Not just electronics, my truck was in the shop for over 2 months waiting for a front bumper bracket after I was hit in the rear and pushed into the vehicle in front of me. My rental was covered by her insurance. I was told by the body shop, another not so lucky as to have a rental covered was not going to have parts until March which at the time will put him at over 3 months.
02-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So then why did you state, "...or even higher", and not "...or even lower"?
if it is 20000 upper, it is reasonable to assume $2500... If they want to achieve this goal, their specifications are not advanced enough... of course, they can still release it and mark the price down to $1900-$2000 as people estimated...
02-17-2021, 07:46 PM - 8 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I see the delay as "good" news. I would hope the delay would provide extra time to allow Pentax to reconsider all of the major features and components. Maybe now they've got the time to upgrade one or more features using even newer componenets than they were originally going to use.

I just can't image they'll do nothing during the delay. It's an opportunity to re-evaluate their current design, compare it to the latest cameras offered by their competitors, and improve the existing design. If they do nothing but wait, it will be a shame, a wasted opportunity to catch the competition. Lots of new cameras have come out since the K3iii was designed, the competition has raised the bar, and this delay give Pentax a chance to compare their current K3iii design in light of the latest competitors offerings.

Couple of possible examples:

1. Now they have time to rethink the value of a BSI sensor, and not use the non-BSI sensor they were planning to use.
2. Now they've got time to rethink the lack of a tilting LCD screen and will have the time to redesign the current non-movable one with this in demand feature.
3. Get some prototypes out their for extensive field testing of the ergonomics to fine tune buttons, controls, menus based on customer feedback.
The camera has been sent for certification. They’re not doing any redesign on it. This is purely down to getting the quality of parts that they were planning to use at a sufficient rate to produce the cameras. (For instance, not suddenly having to go the cheap route on something crucial like, I don’t know, part of the aperture control.)
02-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
People have been converting a vague yen price range into dollars and assuming that will be the US list price. However, if one goes to the Ricoh JP site and compares the price for a K-1 ii there to a K-1 ii on the Ricoh US site, you will find that the US price is lower than you would find if you just converted the JP price from yen to USD. Until the actual list prices in JPY, USD, and EUR are announced, there’s not any trying to guess what the price will be.
Yes, I've noticed this, too.
02-17-2021, 07:47 PM - 6 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 12fps and 4K 30p in the current industry standard are not acceptable for a flagship. Especially it targets for a price with $2500 tag or even higher. For this price range, it requires 30fps and 4K 120p... It cannot compete with other brands with similar price Fuji T4,Sony A4R4 or Canon R6 .... The only merit is 1.05x OVF for DSLR. But any FF DSLR has a similar size of OVF... it is doomed to be cancelled or postponed indefinitely.,.

It is good that they realized that their flagship to be announced has already been out of date as mentioned in the statement...
Pure speculation on your part.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-18-2021 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Veiled obscenity
Closed Thread