Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 625 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 01:59 AM   #76

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bestcoast Quote
Glad I just went with a KP recently. I'm so happy with it. Maybe I'll circle back to this K3iii in a couple years.

In the meantime... I'd like to see that new PLM 16-50, and the new 21mm FA limited. A few other updated lenses would be cool as well.
I agree with you here. If its not out by Christmas '21 I will go get a KP during the sale season.

I wish for a prime 11mm or 12mm wide, not a fisheye.

02-18-2021, 02:15 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
if it is 20000 upper, it is reasonable to assume $2500... If they want to achieve this goal, their specifications are not advanced enough... of course, they can still release it and mark the price down to $1900-$2000 as people estimated...
It is not. The K-1 is also "upper 200k" in the Ricoh store in Japan, and it's significantly cheaper elsewhere. This has been discussed to death already...
02-18-2021, 02:45 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Originally posted by Ricoh Imaging:
As some of the product parts are delayed, and we have determined that development will require a greater amount of time for us to achieve the exceptional performance and finest quality that is the hallmark of next aps-c flagship model.
The sentence is flawed, everything is related to 'as', it lacks the consequence: 'we have decided to change the scheduled release date.' (発売予定時期を変更することにいたしました in the Japanese version.)
I'm getting a bad feeling about this - unavoidable Covid related delays are one thing, reworking is another - the problem being that the longer you take, the more you need to rework to remain competitive - they are already operating in timescales where the sensors are getting to be last year's thing by the time the camera is released, but delay to stay competitive is a vicious circle unless they can considerably speed up their processes. I don't have the money or the need for this camera but I do ant to see the long term survival of the brand. Hopefully there will still be some some information given out at CP+ - ( they've left this announcement very late if it's a supply chain issue only)
02-18-2021, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm getting a bad feeling about this - unavoidable Covid related delays are one thing, reworking is another
What reworking? The announcement says nothing about that.

02-18-2021, 02:54 AM - 3 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

I'm getting a bad feeling about this - unavoidable Covid related delays are one thing, reworking is another - the problem being that the longer you take, the more you need to rework to remain competitive - they are already operating in timescales where the sensors are getting to be last year's thing by the time the camera is released, but delay to stay competitive is a vicious circle unless they can considerably speed up their processes. I don't have the money or the need for this camera but I do ant to see the long term survival of the brand. Hopefully there will still be some some information given out at CP+ - ( they've left this announcement very late if it's a supply chain issue only)
In today's cameras the only things that are getting obsolete every year are EVFs and video specs.
02-18-2021, 02:58 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pulling the plug only one week before the original date suggests the wait is not going to be very long. People forget that Pentax has done this before; they only remember the great product that eventually emerged.
02-18-2021, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What reworking? The announcement says nothing about that.
I suppose it depends on how you interpret the word 'development' - which I know is tricky with all the translation going on (cultural as well as linguistic) - but it's not phrased as a simple parts shortage. I really hope I'm over-worrying, but I do worry because of the psychology of the impact of delay on customers on a company already seen as slow in coming out with new products

02-18-2021, 03:00 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
People forget that Pentax has done this before; they only remember the great product that eventually emerged.
True - let's hope so
02-18-2021, 03:07 AM - 6 Likes   #84
Pentaxian

Thread title is a bit fatalistic, like it was cancelled.
02-18-2021, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

I suppose it depends on how you interpret the word 'development' - which I know is tricky with all the translation going on (cultural as well as linguistic) - but it's not phrased as a simple parts shortage. I really hope I'm over-worrying, but I do worry because of the psychology of the impact of delay on customers on a company already seen as slow in coming out with new products
There's no reasonable way of interpreting "development" as "reworking". And they start by mentioning the parts shortage.

The "psychology of the impact" is helped by people speculating the worst (often it's those who wouldn't buy anyway).
02-18-2021, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Thread title is a bit fatalistic, like it was cancelled.
I agree. The camera is not delayed "indefinitely"; it is delayed, with an update on the expected market launch pending "in the near future".
02-18-2021, 03:26 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read the "that development" to refer to the delay in the parts. If you group "determined that" it's possible to interpret the sentence as meaning they've determined to develop things further. Personally, I think the fact that there's been a delay in the supply chain simply means there's a delay in releasing the camera to market. There's been no change to the online touch and try session to accompany this announcement, so again I think that means there won't be any changes to the camera itself, just to its availability date.
02-18-2021, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no reasonable way of interpreting "development" as "reworking".
The point being that waiting for a part is not the same as development - it requires only waiting tine - but as I say, there's actually little point in over-speculating on the meaning of words in translation.

And I think that we've established in numerous threads that it's often the people most committed to the brand who are most concerned about its future. Perhaps we should never express that concern, but I don't think any good ever comes out of stifling discussion within the context of brand-loyal forum. Concerns aren't denigration.
02-18-2021, 03:38 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I read the "that development" to refer to the delay in the parts. If you group "determined that" it's possible to interpret the sentence as meaning they've determined to develop things further. Personally, I think the fact that there's been a delay in the supply chain simply means there's a delay in releasing the camera to market. There's been no change to the online touch and try session to accompany this announcement, so again I think that means there won't be any changes to the camera itself, just to its availability date.
Again - I really do hope you're correct
02-18-2021, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

I agree. The camera is not delayed "indefinitely"; it is delayed, with an update on the expected market launch pending "in the near future".
Indefinitely can mean that there is no end/start date known or set. So the wording of the thread is title is correct even if there are other wordings that may project a more positive feeling in som Pentaxians.
Closed Thread