Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 03:46 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The point being that waiting for a part is not the same as development - it requires only waiting tine - but as I say, there's actually little point in over-speculating on the meaning of words in translation.

And I think that we've established in numerous threads that it's often the people most committed to the brand who are most concerned about its future. Perhaps we should never express that concern, but I don't think any good ever comes out of stifling discussion within the context of brand-loyal forum. Concerns aren't denigration.
Are they simply waiting for a part, though? No trying to find alternative suppliers? Which means trying to avoid another green solenoid issue - on a camera they can't afford such mishaps? (thus: heavy testing and tweaks).
No further tweaks after the feedback from trying to put the camera into production? No software development? Perhaps that eye tracking algorithm doesn't work as it should

No, we haven't established that; and it doesn't seems true.

02-18-2021, 03:50 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Everyone heard 20000 yen upper (25000-30000 Yen) from official Pentax (Mr. Takahashi as President of Ricoh Imaging) and it is higher than Canon/Nikon APS-C flagship launch price... If you want a link, I quote here. For the video, check 9:47...
US pricing is likely to be significantly lower than the prices that you mention. JPT did a post where he ran down the pricing of various APS-C camera available in Japan. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/417912-price-k-3-iii-cont...ml#post5173604 Of note is that the Nikon D500 is priced at 260,000 yen and still sells for 1500 dollars on B and H. Japanese stores have special customer pricing and discounts that don't appear in the listed price, but their prices tend to be higher than in the US.

My expectation is that the pricing will be in the 1800 USD/Euro range. Expensive, but with some room to drop if needed.

To the overall thread, I just think that supply chains are pretty messed up right now. I don't see any indication that they are re working the camera. They didn't pull it back to add a function or a tilting screen. The reason it isn't going to be released is that they can't get a part (or parts) that are necessary to produce the camera. Maybe it is a sensor or a high end shutter or maybe something else pretty mundane. It speaks to COVID shuttering factories and delaying shipments between countries. It also speaks to the fact that Ricoh is planning to make more than one of these cameras and they can't get enough of the parts for an initial production run.

I don't think this is a good thing. Far from it. COVID has messed this world up a lot and lack of new camera gear is far from the worst thing that has happened as the result of the pandemic. At the same time, it seems as though the camera is done and once the supply chain opens back up, they will start producing them and release them.
02-18-2021, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Indefinitely can mean that there is no end/start date known or set. So the wording of the thread is title is correct even if there are other wordings that may project a more positive feeling in som Pentaxians.
Indefinitely: for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.
You shouldn't defend such a misleading term. We are told to expect news in the near future.
02-18-2021, 04:07 AM - 4 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

My feeling / educated guess from the press release (I have no insider information on this): some parts aren't available or can't be obtained in sufficient quantity, therefore Ricoh Imaging have or had to find a workaround (find a replacement part or an alternative supplier, test the alternative component, may be write some code if it's a piece of electronics), i.e. make some 'development'.

02-18-2021, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Indefinitely can mean that there is no end/start date known or set. So the wording of the thread is title is correct even if there are other wordings that may project a more positive feeling in som Pentaxians.
Semantics and wordplay. Indefinitely means there is no perspective on any new developments. Being put on a back burner. Ricoh says they are also still working to improve it further. They may have to find new suppliers for some parts and work those in the design.
02-18-2021, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You shouldn't defend such a misleading term. We are told to expect news in the near future.
Clearly the issue is that this doesn't depend on Ricoh. If the issue was that Ricoh had only to update firmware or fix some flaw in the camera they could make a prediction about when that would be completed. If the issue is that 'x' supplier can't guarantee them a sufficient supply of a part then they are playing a waiting game. Do they try to find a different (but reputable) supplier to fill that gap? That may not be possible.

It feels like the difference between me running late on my way to work where I just over slept and didn't get out the door till ten minutes after I should versus me sitting in a traffic jam on a highway. In the first case, I can make an accurate prediction of when I will arrive. In the second situation, I have no idea. My guess is that Ricoh is in the second situation and rather than say "We think we'll be ready to go in April," they have decided to make a vague statement that won't spoil expectations if their suppliers don't get back online as soon as they are hoping.
02-18-2021, 04:24 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Not really a surprise and given that many people have been waiting for an APS-C flagship for years already, I don't think another few weeks (as it's likely to be) will make a huge difference.

02-18-2021, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't help but be a little disappointed, but if we've waited five years what's a few more months. Hopefully it's just a few months.
02-18-2021, 04:31 AM - 6 Likes   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sell supply chain software and talk to supply chain managers on a daily basis. Last week I had a Teams-meeting with a potential customer. He jokingly asked me: «Can you also provide shipping containers?»

Due to the pandemic their is a backlog at every single stage in the supply chain, across most sectors. It isn’t just cameras and electronics.

Relax and enjoy the camera you have right now. The Pentax K3 III will be released as soon as Ricoh is able to release it.
02-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
* my bold
02-18-2021, 04:59 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
My feeling / educated guess from the press release (I have no insider information on this): some parts aren't available or can't be obtained in sufficient quantity, therefore Ricoh Imaging have or had to find a workaround (find a replacement part or an alternative supplier, test the alternative component, may be write some code if it's a piece of electronics), i.e. make some 'development'.
Exactly. Something like the AKM factory fire could just, e.g., require the exchange of a small but essential part, like inertial sensors. Not saying this is the case, but if such a hardware sensor would have to be replaced it could require a complete overhaul and hardware/software calibration of a tested and perfectly calibrated IBIS system that has been known and developed for years.
However, maybe some details will still be communicated during CP+.
02-18-2021, 05:03 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depending on how long delay will be it may or it may not bother me. But if I calculated right 16-50 PLM + K-3/3 will be half the price of M10 Monochrome and if Pentax screw up again I will seriously consider living with K-50 until I can gather enough money to get B&W Leica.
02-18-2021, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #103
Veteran Member

* my bold
Generally.... I'd let it go.....

Can only be a poor choice of word.... or an intentional bit of sensationalism.
02-18-2021, 05:22 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Really too bad for the delay, and this is a DSLR that would not interest me now. I still shoot with the K-1 for the FF and my film lens collection.

As for APS-C, I now shoot Fujifilm (X-T3, X-100F, etc.), and I will probably never go back to an APS-C DSLR. And I am afraid that even new K-3 iii will not even be "competitive" against the (old) X-T3 across many parameters, once we see the final specifications.

Please do not get me wrong, I still like a lot and use Pentax, but staying out of the mirror-less market will be a serious long-term strategic miscalculation. I know that their resources are quite limited, but the window to invest in R&D and newer product(s) has long been slammed shut ... and this has been compounded by the Covid upheaval(s).
02-18-2021, 05:41 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Really too bad for the delay, and this is a DSLR that would not interest me now. I still shoot with the K-1 for the FF and my film lens collection.

As for APS-C, I now shoot Fujifilm (X-T3, X-100F, etc.), and I will probably never go back to an APS-C DSLR. And I am afraid that even new K-3 iii will not even be "competitive" against the (old) X-T3 across many parameters, once we see the final specifications.
I now shoot with Pentax KP and am totally satisfied.
Each person must make provision for himself/herself as though nothing has changed.
I feel sorry for someone using an ‘aging’ body, but hopefully they have a backup plan.

QuoteQuote:
Please do not get me wrong, I still like a lot and use Pentax, but staying out of the mirror-less market will be a serious long-term strategic miscalculation. I know that their resources are quite limited, but the window to invest in R&D and newer product(s) has long been slammed shut ... and this has been compounded by the Covid upheaval(s).
Nothing has changed here either. People have gradually announced they are switching to other brands. There is nothing in this announcement to affect the DSLR vs MILC decision. Those of us who have stood by Pentax understand that they are wed DSLR. Neither we nor Pentax has any need of whatever ‘door’ that “has been slammed shut”.
Closed Thread