Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 625 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #106

What's strange is that Ricoh mentions (if the translation is correct) that development is delayed, not production. Isn't it a bit late in the cycle? Of course, if they identified something that needs to be fixed, then I'm happy they want to fix it before they launch it, but it's still a bit disappointing.

02-18-2021, 05:47 AM - 5 Likes   #107
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure the delay is still because of the AKM fire back last October. they make all kinds of chips and sensors including several kinds that could be used in the K-3 III. Given the factory was completely taken out of action and they were saying six months to fix it, it seemed pretty optimistic at the time for Ricoh to say they were "targeting CP+ in February". I think they were just kicking the can down the road a little. Now they have caught up with it and they have to make another statement.

I wonder if some of the most unique and critical parts could have been sources from AKM, like the AF or metering sensor. It might be difficult to get custom parts like that from anywhere else. Mirrorless cameras seem to have more commonality in their parts. They may have more options to buy from elsewhere. If that's the case, Pentax cameras could be hit worse than mirrorless.

So it's disappointing but I'm not surprised. Ricoh has got their bit of bad news out of the way in advance of CP+. Hopefully they have some good news in the coming days about lenses, Theta and maybe GR.

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 09:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chessov Quote
What's strange is that Ricoh mentions (if the translation is correct) that development is delayed, not production. Isn't it a bit late in the cycle? Of course, if they identified something that needs to be fixed, then I'm happy they want to fix it before they launch it, but it's still a bit disappointing.
The Japanese version doesn't say the word development (開発) in that part of the announcement. I don't think too much should be read into that word. It sounds like a parts issue.
02-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The Japanese version doesn't say the word development (開発) in that part of the announcement. I don't think too much should be read into that word. It sounds like a parts issue.
Ah, that's a relief!
02-18-2021, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Couple of possible examples:

1. Now they have time to rethink the value of a BSI sensor, and not use the non-BSI sensor they were planning to use.
2. Now they've got time to rethink the lack of a tilting LCD screen and will have the time to redesign the current non-movable one with this in demand feature.
3. Get some prototypes out their for extensive field testing of the ergonomics to fine tune buttons, controls, menus based on customer feedback.
Sounds more like Pentax has real problems. Tweak software and get all the parts necessary in time for production. Everything else is set at this point - or the delay will be a year plus.

Development includes firmware/softeare development. These days cars are delivered without proper software - development is providing fixes after production and sales...

02-18-2021, 06:15 AM   #110
Pentaxian

The official announcement from Ricoh/Pentax is here!
Development update regarding the PENTAX?s new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera, PENTAX K-3 Mark III (second report)?RICOH IMAGING
02-18-2021, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #111
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
It is not speculation.. Apparently, K-3 iii launch price is to match or be higher than Nikon or Canon APS-c flagship D500 or Canon 7Dii. 25000 upper is reasonable for this goal...

- Pentax K-1 Mark II - 254,000 yen
- Pentax K-3 Mark III (expected) - 250,000 to 299,000
- Nikon D500 - 259,000 yen
- Fujifilm X-T4 - 225,000 yen
- Fujifilm X-Pro3 - 236,000 yen
- Canon 90D - 162,000 yen
- Canon 7D Mark II - 225,000 yen
- Sony a6600 - 176,000 yen

For the prices in yen,
I quoted from The price of the K-3 III (context/speculation, not inside info) - PentaxForums.com

Okay, it is still speculation and canon 7d ii and d500 actually launched below $2000 in US
confused2
02-18-2021, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nonsense is a better word than speculation...

02-18-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure the delay is still because of the AKM fire back last October. they make all kinds of chips and sensors including several kinds that could be used in the K-3 III. Given the factory was completely taken out of action and they were saying six months to fix it, it seemed pretty optimistic at the time for Ricoh to say they were "targeting CP+ in February". I think they were just kicking the can down the road a little. Now they have caught up with it and they have to make another statement.

I wonder if some of the most unique and critical parts could have been sources from AKM, like the AF or metering sensor. It might be difficult to get custom parts like that from anywhere else. Mirrorless cameras seem to have more commonality in their parts. They may have more options to buy from elsewhere. If that's the case, Pentax cameras could be hit worse than mirrorless.

So it's disappointing but I'm not surprised. Ricoh has got their bit of bad news out of the way in advance of CP+. Hopefully they have some good news in the coming days about lenses, Theta and maybe GR.
Yep. Current manufacturing doctrine is based upon thing like JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing and using only one source for all parts. Any normal person can see the dangers of such strategies, but accountants love it and they drive all manufacturing decisions. I am glad I am retired and no longer have to deal with the follies that some of their decisions have created. I spent almost 30 years supporting field service operations. Those meetings were never fun.

BUT.........................................................Just because I understand the cause of the delay does not make it any less frustrating. The K1 was delayed almost a year for the same reasons. Earthquake related then. Pandemic now.
02-18-2021, 06:24 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 09:52 PM ----------

I have also never seen the word Production in Ricoh's communications. It was always "camera in development" or "camera launched and sold"... with the hindsight, maybe I have not read all of their communications
02-18-2021, 06:29 AM - 3 Likes   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Yep. Current manufacturing doctrine is based upon thing like JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing and using only one source for all parts. Any normal person can see the dangers of such strategies, but accountants love it and they drive all manufacturing decisions. I am glad I am retired and no longer have to deal with the follies that some of their decisions have created. I spent almost 30 years supporting field service operations. Those meetings were never fun.

BUT.........................................................Just because I understand the cause of the delay does not make it any less frustrating. The K1 was delayed almost a year for the same reasons. Earthquake related then. Pandemic now.
Basically this. The moment you lean on (hah!) lean manufacturing doctrines to reduce inventory you're trading known ongoing costs (warehouses, inventory management, parts stockpiling etc.) for a heightened danger in the case of supply chain issues. Since those may or may not happen, the people with the Excel files tend to assume they will never happen .
02-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Basically this. The moment you lean on (hah!) lean manufacturing doctrines to reduce inventory you're trading known ongoing costs (warehouses, inventory management, parts stockpiling etc.) for a heightened danger in the case of supply chain issues. Since those may or may not happen, the people with the Excel files tend to assume they will never happen .
Unfortunately, some users also live on small {or nonexistent} margins. They include trading in old equipment in paying for the new stuff. For over fifty years now, I have kept the old equipment as "backup". The years 2007-2015 were kind of an exception; I was a Canon user when I switched to digital, but not including my Canon film camera {which I still have in a bag in the closet} I always had my film Pentax "Super Program" in reserve. I used - then rejected as "inflexible" - a Canon compact camera, and had two Rebels die during that time. In general I do not understand all this flurry of comments; the K-3iii is being delayed yet again - hopefully users can continue to use what they had Tuesday {before this news was released} until one does arrive.

Last edited by reh321; 02-18-2021 at 06:57 AM.
02-18-2021, 07:13 AM - 4 Likes   #117

Quo usque tandem abutere, Pentax, patientia nostra?

When, O Pentax, do you mean to cease abusing our patience?

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-18-2021 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Translation added for clarity
02-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
What can you expect from a company that has less than 3% market share in a total market of less than 15 Million units? I'm glad RI are still trying to make Pentax cameras, because I know other companies who would have just pulled the plug.
02-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What can you expect from a company that has less than 3% market share in a total market of less than 15 Million units? I'm glad RI are still trying to make Pentax cameras, because I know other companies who would have just pulled the plug.
That is the appropriate perspective, this is pretty standard behavior for pentax. We should be lucky they are even still making DSLR's.
02-18-2021, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Unfortunately, not unexpected by some

but what can one do ?

go out and have fun with photography with whatever gear you currently have

that's the answer
Good answer. I gave my K3 to my son, who uses it for astrophotography. So out with the K7 I go today!
Closed Thread