Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 625 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The Deepl translation seems a bit less categorical:
"I've used the prototype and it's a fascinating camera, a completely different camera from the K-3/K-3 II, a different dimension, and I think it takes better pictures than the K-1 Mark II." (As-is, emphasis mine). All the options the translator gives for tweaking involve similar wording ("probably", "maybe", etc.).

Still, it's looking very good. Considering the Pentax tendency to focus on IQ as they don't have to use OSPDAF, I'm even more excited for the K-1iii now
Well, that means that the future K1iii will wipe off the table all current cropped medium format cameras!

02-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My K-3 still does everything I want at the moment. I don't know what's going on with all these people in a hurry.

What's funny to me is how everyone complained Pentax didn't tell them anything. SO Pentax told us everything, now the camera is delayed. Good thing they told us about all that stuff, about a camera we can't buy.

Oh the irony.
The National Capital Soccer League's season starts in a little over a month, season opening tournaments sooner than that. I was hoping to be able to try out the new autofocus and high ISO features of the K-3iii during the spring season. But I guess the fall is okay, too.

I'm not sure why it's so perplexing, offensive, and ironic that people are really interested in buying exciting new products from Pentax, and are a little disappointed when they can't.
02-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Interesting stuff, since the still, video and video sound features all need these converters.
02-18-2021, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #154
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Both Sony and Ricoh's statements have much in common.

"In the digital imaging category (Cyber-shot, α, Handycam, Action cam), it is expected that some models will not be able to supply enough to meet the demand due to the problem of parts supply, so it will take a while until the product is delivered. It may take some time.

[Products that take time to deliver]
-Digital SLR cameras: α6100 series

In addition, for certain models with tight supply, we have decided to suspend the acceptance of orders from distributors to us and the acceptance of orders from customers at Sony stores after December 3, 2020. Regarding the resumption of order acceptance, we will consider it while observing the status of parts supply, and will inform you separately on the product information page.

[Products subject to order suspension]
・ Digital video camera: FDR-AX45, HDR-CX680
・ Action cam: FDR-X3000 / X3000R, HDR-AS300 / AS300R
・ Digital still camera: DSC-RX0M2

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers."

02-18-2021, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #155
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad to see more calls for patience. Also, Japanese as I understand it is quite different from western languages which tend towards declarative denotation---famously so in German for instance with their composite words. So, translations could be tricky here and maybe we shouldn't hang on every word, since these could be open to more interpretation and nuance than we westerners are used to.
02-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm seeing more stories about people waiting weeks or months for car parts. I got my third recall notice for my 2023 Honda Fit, they won't have the parts until later in the year. This one is just about a poorly manufactured drive shaft that can fail and leave you disabled in the middle of the road. Not as scary as the last two that were all if your airbag deploys it could kill you, then made you wait a year to get a replacement.
02-18-2021, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are plenty of reports concerning the impact of global electronics parts shortages.

The automotive industry is particularly affected. Makers such as VW, Ford, Subaru, and Toyota are facing shortages in electronics. Tesla has issued a recall for touchscreen issues, but can't get sufficient flash memory modules, so owners are asked to not bring their car in for service if their system still works.

Other industries include computers, graphics cards, and smartphones. Home appliances, which rely on electronic controllers and user interfaces, are similarly affected. Sony has delayed their FE 35/1.4 GM lens. Some military supply chains are broken.

- Craig

02-18-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Manufactures today do Just in time assembly line + Worldwide Semiconductor shortage + The chaos in export container gridlock around the world, I would be surprised if Pentax can have the camera on time.
"Worldwide Semiconductor shortage?" Why do you say that?

I don't see Covid affecting production much at the manufacuturers here where I live. Before I retired, my day job was working for some of the giant manufacturing companies in this region. Still in touch with them. At these companies, they are producing product just as fast as they did before the Covid virus. What makes you think that the production of camera sensors is down because of the virus?.

I would expect just the opposite to be true - that there's a surplus of camera sensors (and probably most other camera components too) because of the down turn in camera sales.

Also, every week I purchase dozens of items from other countries. For the most part, I'm receiving them in as timely a fashion as I did before the virus.

I don't believe Pentax/Ricoh's official "difficulty to get quality parts" excuse. Rather, I believe that Pentax/Ricoh has been shell shocked by the specs of the latest flagship offerings from their competitors, and they've decided to delay because they need to upgrade their new flagship to be more competitive against the flagships from Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-18-2021 at 12:09 PM.
02-18-2021, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
"Worldwide Semiconductor shortage?" Why do you say that?I don't see Covid affecting production much at the manufacuturers here where I live.
but most of us do see supply chain issues.
We don't know if they are in manufacturing, middlemen, or transportation, but even today, shortages do occur intermittently.
My wife makes cat food from chicken parts - including chicken liver, which helps produce a 'balanced' product.
In May, we reached the last container - then she couldn't make any because none of the local stores had chicken liver.
We thought they had straightened out that problem - until we went through the same thing in November.
02-18-2021, 11:59 AM - 4 Likes   #160
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I suppose it depends on how you interpret the word 'development'
Things remain in "development" until they are in production and they can't put something into production without a dependable supply chain.

Steve
02-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunate news, but not totally unsurprising. Things are tight these days, not much is going to plan! I look forward to (and will buy!!) this camera when it comes out.

Hopefully this thread won't turn into 50 pages of people complaining about the lack of a flippy screen, or proclamations pentax is doomed!
02-18-2021, 12:07 PM - 2 Likes   #162
Pentaxian

I don't see Covid affecting production much at the manufacuturers here where I live. Before I retired, my day job was working for some of the giant manufacturing companies in this region. Still in touch with them. At these companies, they are producing product just as fast as they did before the Covid virus. What makes you think that the production of camera sensors is down because of the virus?.

I would expect just the opposite to be true - that there's a surplus of camera sensors (and probably most other camera components too) because of the down turn in camera sales.

Also, every week I purchase dozens of items from other countries. For the most part, I'm receiving them in as timely a fashion as I did before the virus.

I don't believe Pentax/Ricoh's official "difficulty to get quality parts" excuse. Rather, I believe that Pentax/Ricoh been shell shocked by the specs of the latest flagship offerings from their competitors, and they've decided to delay because they need to upgrade their new flagship to be more competitive against the flagships from Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon.
lol, did you really just say that?
02-18-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

I don't believe Pentax/Ricoh's official "difficulty to get quality parts" excuse. Rather, I believe that Pentax/Ricoh been shell shocked by the specs of the latest flagship offerings from their competitors, and they've decided to delay because they need to upgrade their new flagship to be more competitive against the flagships from Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon.
Possibly. Given the feedback from releasing the specs and customers who complained about the lack of moveable screen, plus it's not currently the best time to introduce new camera models (lots of people have other issues than to think about buying a new camera). Ricoh may have decided that it was more reasonable to change the product instead of entering the market "DOA", especially if Ricoh have no bandwidth to release a second apsc camera anytime soon after that one, "better nailed it at a later time then screw it now".

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-18-2021 at 12:19 PM.
02-18-2021, 12:10 PM - 3 Likes   #164
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It was all over the news a week or so ago and is affecting multiple manufacturing sectors.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2021 at 11:34 AM. Reason: fixed wrong word
02-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Possibly. Given the feedback from releasing the specs and customers who complained about the lack of moveable screen, plus it's not currently the best time to introduce new camera models (lots of people have other issues than to think about buying a new camera). Ricoh may have decided that it was more reasonable to change the product instead of entering the market "DOA", especially if Ricoh have no bandwidth to release a second apsc camera anytime soon after that one, "better nailed it at a later time then screw it now".
any time over the past several years has been an excellent time for Pentax to fill their empty K-3 shelf.
Closed Thread