Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 625 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 12:13 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Things remain in "development" until they are in production and they can't put something into production without a dependable supply chain.

Steve
Agree. Sounds like you're a guy who also has heavy experience in the manufacturing industry.

02-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
"Worldwide Semiconductor shortage?" Why do you say that?

I don't see Covid affecting production much at the manufacuturers here where I live. Before I retired, my day job was working for some of the giant manufacturing companies in this region. Still in touch with them. At these companies, they are producing product just as fast as they did before the Covid virus. What makes you think that the production of camera sensors is down because of the virus?.

I would expect just the opposite to be true - that there's a surplus of camera sensors (and probably most other camera components too) because of the down turn in camera sales.

Also, every week I purchase dozens of items from other countries. For the most part, I'm receiving them in as timely a fashion as I did before the virus.

I don't believe Pentax/Ricoh's official "difficulty to get quality parts" excuse. Rather, I believe that Pentax/Ricoh been shell shocked by the specs of the latest flagship offerings from their competitors, and they've decided to delay because they need to upgrade their new flagship to be more competitive against the flagships from Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon.
As has been posted earlier, an October factory fire in Japan may be a culprit in this delay. The AKM factory was entirely destroyed, and Sony issued a notice stating that several camera models were suspended as a result.

Also, other than the Fuji X-T4, the only recently-released "flagships" from other camera brands have been full frame and significantly more expensive than the K-3 III.
02-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Possibly. Given the feedback from releasing the specs and customers who complained about the lack of moveable screen, plus it's not currently the best time to introduce new camera models (lots of people have other issues than to think about buying a new camera). Ricoh may have decided that it was more reasonable to change the product instead of entering the market "DOA", especially if Ricoh have no bandwidth to release a second apsc camera anytime soon after that one, "better nailed it at a later time then screw it now".
Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It was all over the news a week or so ago and is effecting multiple manufacturing sectors.

Steve
Exactly. And it doesn’t have to be the sensors. It could be some tiny, otherwise insignificant chip that can’t be quickly sourced elsewhere...

-Eric

02-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Possibly. Given the feedback from releasing the specs and customers who complained about the lack of moveable screen, plus it's not currently the best time to introduce new camera models (lots of people have other issues than to think about buying a new camera). Ricoh may have decided that it was more reasonable to change the product instead of entering the market "DOA", especially if Ricoh have no bandwidth to release a second apsc camera anytime soon after that one, "better nailed it at a later time then screw it now".
This would mean quite big changes in complete design and would mean bigger delay. I'd say it is better to make that in 'next K-P' with things adapted from K-3III(AF module and accelerator). And there possibly is also new K-1 in works too for flippy users...
02-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #171
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
any time over the past several years has been an excellent time for Pentax to fill their empty K-3 shelf.
Yes, if you ignore that starting up production require a significant amount of cash + inventory build-up. That for Ricoh Imaging is now the biggest spending, more cash intensive than anything else.
02-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Also, other than the Fuji X-T4, the only recently-released "flagships" from other camera brands have been full frame and significantly more expensive than the K-3 III.
What about the two new Nikon mirrorless cameras? What about the new Sony and Canon mirrorless cameras?

New APS-C DSLR cameras are expected to have features and capabilities that are competitive with the latest mirrorless and/or full frame flagships offer by the competition. If they don't, there will be "leakage" to other systems and other sensor sizes.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-18-2021 at 12:27 PM.
02-18-2021, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #173
Pentaxian

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be honest, I see a lot more demand for a K1 replacement with 50Mp and UHS2 cards, than I see demand for a K3III sport camera at $2000, as many customers have complained about lack of flippy screen and "the price is too high" which basically means these customers aren't valuing the 12FPS of the K3III, they just want a Pentax Kp built like a K3 priced $1000.
02-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter

"Worldwide Semiconductor shortage?" Why do you say that?

I don't see Covid affecting production much at the manufacuturers here where I live. Before I retired, my day job was working for some of the giant manufacturing companies in this region. Still in touch with them. At these companies, they are producing product just as fast as they did before the Covid virus. What makes you think that the production of camera sensors is down because of the virus?

I don't believe Pentax/Ricoh's official "difficulty to get quality parts" excuse. Rather, I believe that Pentax/Ricoh has been shell shocked by the specs of the latest flagship offerings from their competitors, and they've decided to delay because they need to upgrade their new flagship to be more competitive against the flagships from Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon.
See post 154 with statement from Sony regarding camera product delays. Whether you want to believe it or not, Sony blames it on severely constricted parts supplies the same as Ricoh does.
02-18-2021, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #175
Pentaxian

I believe my many contacts at actual manufacturers more than I believe "the news". The news folks are biased and have an agenda - my contacts don't.
I don't expect you have many contacts in Asia.
02-18-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about the two new Nikon mirrorless cameras? What about the new Sony and Canon mirrorless cameras?

New APS-C DSLR cameras are expected to have features and capabilities that are competitive with the latest mirrorless and/or full frame flagships offer by the competition. If they don't, there will be "leakage" to other systems.
I don't expect a new APS-C DSLR to have features and capabilities that are competitive with full frame flagships costing $3000-$6500.

Comparing the K-3 III - what we know about it, anyway - to the Canon R6, Nikon Z6 II, and Fuji X-T4 - there seems to be strengths and weaknesses that differentiate each camera. In other words, each camera lacks something compared to one of the others. And if you prefer using an OVF, there is only one among that group that satisfies.

As Pentax becomes more unique by sticking with DSLR, there is actually less pressure to feature-match with other brands, because the most important feature will be the OVF. That doesn't mean that Pentax can lag too far behind other brands, but they probably just need to stay fairly close.

Subaru is a successful example of this strategy. For years they did not feature-compete vs other makes because AWD was the feature.
02-18-2021, 12:41 PM - 9 Likes   #177
Pentaxian

Popcorn. Pure popcorn and a lot of grinning. 🙂

These threads are like live broadcast from a mental asylum full of conspiracy theoreticians.
02-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't expect you have many contacts in Asia.
Isn't South Korea Asia?

Why would you say that, I don't believe that I know you.
02-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #179
Pentaxian

Why would you say that, I don't believe that I know you.
because Pentax depends on suppliers in Japan and SouthEast Asia {and China, who produce the solenoids used in low tier K-mount cameras}

Last edited by reh321; 02-18-2021 at 12:53 PM. Reason: China
02-18-2021, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Comparing the K-3 III - what we know about it, anyway - to the Canon R6, Nikon Z6 II, and Fuji X-T4 - there seems to be strengths and weaknesses that differentiate each camera. In other words, each camera lacks something compared to one of the others. And if you prefer using an OVF, there is only one among that group that satisfies.
I think Pentax customers are difficult to please. They want the same features as offered by Pentax competitors, but at half the price, because historically Pentax was the value brand.
Closed Thread