Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 625 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Indefinitely can mean that there is no end/start date known or set. So the wording of the thread is title is correct even if there are other wordings that may project a more positive feeling in som Pentaxians.
Not just some Pentaxians. Words have a habit of acquiring "baggage" mostly, I imagine, due to usage and context. Some words carry a portent that shifts or expands their original meaning, and sometimes that meaning is flipped to imply the opposite.

So, you and the title are strictly correct, but "indefinitely" carries the possibility of "never" with it, and you can't simply tag one group with latching onto that possibility. Language is malleable. As Humpty Dumpty said: "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

02-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Not just some Pentaxians. Words have a habit of acquiring "baggage" mostly, I imagine, due to usage and context. Some words carry a portent that shifts or expands their original meaning, and sometimes that meaning is flipped to imply the opposite.

So, you and the title are strictly correct, but "indefinitely" carries the possibility of "never" with it, and you can't simply tag one group with latching onto that possibility. Language is malleable. As Humpty Dumpty said: "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
The main sense of "indefinitely" is "infinitely"
I suspect house is fine with people interpreting it this way - despite arguing for some more unusual interpretation of the word.
02-18-2021, 03:46 PM - 4 Likes   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The main sense of "indefinitely" is "infinitely"
I suspect house is fine with people interpreting it this way - despite arguing for some more unusual interpretation of the word.
I'd say it depends. For me it was interpreted as "no new date", but that's because "indefinitely" is "indefinidamente" in Spanish... which comes from "Undefined".

It's interesting that "in-definitely" and "definitely" can be taken as the same meaning.

02-18-2021, 03:49 PM - 7 Likes   #214
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Going back to the original quote from Pentax at the beginning of this thread, the word "indefinitely" is not used. It simply says delayed with no known new date. So the word was introduced in the title of the post, not by Pentax. I think people need to calm down a bit.

02-18-2021, 04:01 PM - 9 Likes   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Imaging-Resource did it right:

Ricoh announces Pentax K-3 Mark III delay

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh announces Pentax K-3 Mark III delay

Ricoh Company, Ltd. and Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd. announced that the Pentax K-3 Mark III will not be launching around this year's CP+ show, as was previously announced.
Ricoh states that the K-3 Mark III's launch is being pushed back due to delays in receiving requisite parts for the camera. Ricoh has determined that a delay is required to release the K-3 Mark III up to Ricoh's standards. The company apologizes for any inconvenience and asks for understanding from its customers. As of now, there is no revised market launch date for the K-3 Mark III. You can read the full announcement below.
02-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
You mean the wild, unsubstantiated internet rumors about the K-3 iii prices? We've had one mention of a vague yen price range (and I have yet to see any native Japanese speaker dissect how that statement was translated into English), and somehow the internet has gone about converting about every number in that range into USD and EUR and claiming that will be the price of the K-3 iii even though the price at which Ricoh sells the K-1 ii for in JPY does not directly convert to the USD or EUR prices. People need to hold their horses and wait until Ricoh actually announces a price for the K-3 iii rather than engaging in rumormongering.
@kwb is a native Japanese speaker and he has answered this question.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
@kwb

Thank you for this detailed explanation. Could you please tell us what precisely means what Takahashi-san says in Japanese when the English voice over says 'we expect to set its market price around the upper 200,000 yen range' in the video below, from 9:43 onwards?

The subtitle reads 価格については、20万円台後半を想定しております if I'm not mistaken.

新APS-Cフラッグシップモデル詳報 ~製品名称、仕様、発売時期など~ - YouTube
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
More than or equal to 25万 (250k) but less than 30万 (300k) JPY.

20万円台 indicates a range defined as equal to or larger than 20万 (200k) but smaller than 30万 (300k) JPY.
後半=later or second half, e.g. second half in football (soccer, not American football) is 後半.

If it's e.g. 29万 or more, though it's still technically 20万円台, I and many others will feel that's more like 30万.
The K-1 and K-1 Mark II launch price was around ¥275,000, i.e. inside 'the upper 200,000 yen range'. Therefore the K-3 Mark III's launch price should be similar to that of the K-1 and K-1 Mark II. In Japan and most probably anywhere else.
02-18-2021, 04:35 PM - 5 Likes   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Going back to the original quote from Pentax at the beginning of this thread, the word "indefinitely" is not used. It simply says delayed with no known new date. So the word was introduced in the title of the post, not by Pentax. I think people need to calm down a bit.
I think a lot of people haven't experienced the supply chain issues happening worldwide. I work for a very large foodservice company. We have several late model Freightliner trucks parked because there are no brake pads available. Yep, that's brakes, not custom electronics. And since disc brakes on big trucks are a relatively new thing, the aftermarket can't keep up either. A search showed no parts in North America. I'm not surprised to hear camera manufacturers are having problems.

02-18-2021, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What can you expect from a company that has less than 3% market share in a total market of less than 15 Million units? I'm glad RI are still trying to make Pentax cameras, because I know other companies who would have just pulled the plug.
It is not a shortage due to the size of Pentax and their market share. Try buying appliances in the US right now. Two to three month wait in many cases. If your washing machine or refrigerator dies right now you may have to wait a bit before getting a new one. If you chose to repair it replacement parts are getting scare too.
02-18-2021, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #219
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's right, Ricoh certainly meant that the price will be more than or equal to 250k JPY and less than 30k JPY.
And I wrote a bit about how to make sense of the Japanese price. There's no MSRP for cameras for historical reasons, price usually includes 10% tax (used to be 8%), and all stores including Ricoh Imaging Store offer discount of about 10% from day 1, sometimes as store credit, sometimes as an upfront cash discount, depending on the store.
[New video Oct 27] New information about upcoming APS-C flagship model - Page 61 - PentaxForums.com

Take Ricoh Imaging Store price in Japan, divide it by 1.1 to get the pre-tax price, multiply 0.9 to include the hidden discount of Ricoh store credit, and you'll reach something that is conceptually the closest to the launch price in USA.

After currency conversion, pre-tax post-discount price in Japan is not that different from USA launch price.
[New video Oct 27] New information about upcoming APS-C flagship model - Page 60 - PentaxForums.com
02-18-2021, 04:56 PM - 3 Likes   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I think a lot of people haven't experienced the supply chain issues happening worldwide. I work for a very large foodservice company. We have several late model Freightliner trucks parked because there are no brake pads available. Yep, that's brakes, not custom electronics. And since disc brakes on big trucks are a relatively new thing, the aftermarket can't keep up either. A search showed no parts in North America. I'm not surprised to hear camera manufacturers are having problems.
Maybe we need to start bringing manufacturing back to the US. What a radical idea.
02-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Maybe we need to start bringing manufacturing back to the US. What a radical idea.
Even domestically-produced items such as chicken parts and toilet paper have been affected.
02-18-2021, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Mine is overflowing.
If that's a problem, happy to provide my bank account and bsb numbers - your welcome to transfer excess funds any time you like!!!

02-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #223
Veteran Member

The K-1 and K-1 Mark II launch price was around ¥275,000, i.e. inside 'the upper 200,000 yen range'. Therefore the K-3 Mark III's launch price should be similar to that of the K-1 and K-1 Mark II. In Japan and most probably anywhere else.
I stand corrected, and I now do recall reading those posts. I still expect the K-3 iii to come in a bit below the K-1 ii price-wise, but probably not as much as some people dream of. Ricoh currently lists the K-1 ii for US$1999, and I would not be surprised if the K-3 iii came in at US$1799 or US$1899, right in line with @kwb's estimates (and lower than one gets from the straight up currency conversions so many have been tossing around).
02-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I think Pentax customers are difficult to please. They want the same features as offered by Pentax competitors, but at half the price, because historically Pentax was the value brand.
I feel like the most vocal are forum users. I love what my K3 does, and I think it's good value. I don't have the lofty aspirations of some on here!
02-18-2021, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Amen to that, the whole world is at the mercy of one region and basically one country!
Closed Thread