Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #256
Pentaxian

So, it's a second official delay. Third time's a charm...

02-19-2021, 12:19 AM - 4 Likes   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Translation? They can't get parts either.
Of course! It's marketing talk. The reality is what it is and we will never know. The local Fuji dealer says that they don't know when the GFX100S will be available, they have no date.

---------- Post added 19-02-21 at 08:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
If they only need parts why add anything to the statement?
Translation: They will use the spare time they have to improve the firmware, while waiting for component sourcing. What should they do while waiting for components? Cross fingers? No, they'll continue to improve the camera.

---------- Post added 19-02-21 at 08:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, it's much hyped.What do we all think of its 3D Predictive AF? Screenshot from a video attached.It makes errors a human photographer wouldn't.
You didn't know that the photographic intent was to photograph the background, not the dog

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-19-2021 at 12:39 AM.
02-19-2021, 12:54 AM - 4 Likes   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've seen D500 photos of swallows in flight... that's impressive.
I've done that with the K1 MKII.

Last edited by troenaas; 02-19-2021 at 02:00 AM.
02-19-2021, 01:10 AM - 9 Likes   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
However, due to delays in the procurement of some parts and the fact that we need more time to achieve the high performance and high quality befitting an APS-C flagship model, we have decided to change the scheduled release date.

If they only need parts why add anything to the statement?
If they have to change a supplier, say because said supplier's factory burned last October - one week before Ricoh announced the first delay - do you think they don't have to make sure the camera achieves the high performance and high quality with the new components?
Should they just throw them in and hope everything's fine?

02-19-2021, 01:59 AM - 5 Likes   #260
Veteran Member

I think some of the members here are missing the fact that even if the supplier part doesn't change, reliabilities between batches can vary significantly when basically the entire tooling line is new. I wouldn't want a supposedly good solenoid failing later on because QA was rushed. Let's just wait and see. Hopefully we get more firmware upgrades like clean HDMI out.
02-19-2021, 03:40 AM - 6 Likes   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
What isn't clear? .
The price isn't clear. Its complete specification is not clear. Its performance is not clear outside of Ricoh. Hence, we have no idea about its value for money......
02-19-2021, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #262
Pentaxian

COVID-19 has disrupted all businesses. I just hope there won't be a super adverse impact to those waiting for this camera.

02-19-2021, 04:17 AM - 5 Likes   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
We. Don’t. Know. What. The. Price. Is.
We do know that lots of forum dwellers screamed for "flagship" like the competition - with competition flagship prices adjusted for a yearly camera inflation of +3-4% and adding the surcharge for a small manufacturer (fair would be around +10-20%).
So the base price from a Nikon flagship DSLR was 2,300 EUR 6 years ago. Hm. Now adding the value of a IBIS (+20%) plus 6 years of inflation and small-manufacturer-surcharge... where do we end?

Life is not a pink pony ranch.

By definition of the same guys prior Pentax cameras never were "flagships" due to them not being snapshot spray and pray usable. So prior price levels do not apply.

Anything under 2,200 EUR would be too cheap.

There are other cheaper options from Pentax and other makers for the cheap guys who lack funds for flagships.

Finally you can wait a couple of years.

Sony's A9II was so poorly judged in the market that you can get it for -40% off after only 10 months in mint quality.
Supply and demand.
02-19-2021, 04:38 AM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
We do know that lots of forum dwellers screamed for "flagship" like the competition - with competition flagship prices adjusted for a yearly camera inflation of +3-4% and adding the surcharge for a small manufacturer (fair would be around +10-20%).
So the base price from a Nikon flagship DSLR was 2,300 EUR 6 years ago. Hm. Now adding the value of a IBIS (+20%) plus 6 years of inflation and small-manufacturer-surcharge... where do we end?

Life is not a pink pony ranch.

By definition of the same guys prior Pentax cameras never were "flagships" due to them not being snapshot spray and pray usable. So prior price levels do not apply.

Anything under 2,200 EUR would be too cheap.

There are other cheaper options from Pentax and other makers for the cheap guys who lack funds for flagships.

Finally you can wait a couple of years.

Sony's A9II was so poorly judged in the market that you can get it for -40% off after only 10 months in mint quality.
Supply and demand.
That's not how it works, technology price deprecates with time *a lot*.
You'd be paying about 5K€ for your smartphone's specs if you counted 2005 prices.

The Canon 5D series has had the same MSRP or very similar accounting for inflation, so *clearly* the Mk4 is a steal.

Today's entry level is yesterday's mid class, and so on and so forth. A K-70's a better camera than a Nikon D1. Should it cost 8K?
02-19-2021, 05:07 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
That's not how it works, technology price deprecates with time *a lot*.
Not at all for the imploding ILC camera market today, which focuses on the wealthy customers and wants to get rid of "value" / cheap folks.
Prices go up substantially for minor upgrades all the time.
The K-3 III is anything but a minor upgrade.
Lets just agree to disagree.

I wont feel any sympathy for anyone who dreams of many years old mid range pricing for a 2021 flagship and then sheds tears.

Is that nice from the manufacturers? No. But that is real life.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
You'd be paying about 5K€ for your smartphone's specs if you counted 2005 prices.
Look at Sony A7c pricing. Specs from years ago entry level for 2 grand.
02-19-2021, 05:28 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not at all for the imploding ILC camera market today, which focuses on the wealthy customers and wants to get rid of "value" / cheap folks.
Prices go up substantially for minor upgrades all the time.
The K-3 III is anything but a minor upgrade.
Lets just agree to disagree.
I wont feel any sympathy for anyone who dreams of many years old mid range pricing for a 2021 flagship and then sheds tears.
Is that nice from the manufacturers? No. But that is real life.
Look at Sony A7c pricing. Specs from years ago entry level for 2 grand.
To be clear, I'm not saying that the K-3iii will be overpriced (though I think it will be either 1900 or 2000€, not really more) - I'm just saying that "it has to be more expensive than a D500" is a flawed argument, because there was nothing in 2016 that did what the D500 brought to the table in terms of action shooting, even for twice as much money.

But I don't think that the price has been increased *that much* for cameras within the same class... the Canon 90D is a decent improvement over the 80D at the same price.
The Fuji X-T4 went 200 bucks up in MRSP compared to the X-T3 (13%), but you get IBIS, fps go from 11 to 15, AF is improved... also somewhat significant changes I'd say.
Heck, we've seen the cheapest FF cameras ever the last couple years.

Look at Sony A7c pricing
The A7c was slammed by even Sony fans, at least online.
02-19-2021, 05:33 AM   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The days of Pentax being a value brand are gone. Look at the prices DFA" 50, DFA* 85, DA*11-18

The K-3iii is moving into the realm of high end action cameras. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of going back to my old k-5 for travel. My wife had it for 5 years and decided to get a newer camera, a K-5iis with 3000 clicks on it, so I get my old camera from 5 years ago back if I want it. It seems like a plan.
Why go for the K5 Norm? I ask because I've been mulling over the same thing - an apsc to complement my K1. Would a K70 not be better at this stage?
02-19-2021, 05:53 AM - 3 Likes   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
.........I feel sorry for someone using an ‘aging’ body, but hopefully they have a backup plan.
I'm thinking reincarnation as a backup plan for my aging body.... though hopefully it is delayed indefinately.....
02-19-2021, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Of course, that one country is at the mercy of two regions...

If we Westerners could step back from our consumeristic fetishing, balance could be restored to the Force global economy.
One could argue the same thing switching the word Easterners for Westerners. " Consumeristic fetishing" is a universal human trait.

As to the rising prices of cameras and lenses. It is inevitable. Without a strong consumer base to absorb development costs. those costs have to be passed on to the higher end products now. Nikon, Canon etc sold profession cameras as a loss leader to spur sales of lower tier cameras to the huddled masses. Kodak dawdled on professionals because it was great PR for selling consumer films. That is where the real money was.

The biggest reason for the price increase it the cell phone. Unless we get legislation passed banning photography with cell phones the prices will never come back down.

Last edited by gaweidert; 02-19-2021 at 06:47 AM.
02-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Why go for the K5 Norm? I ask because I've been mulling over the same thing - an apsc to complement my K1. Would a K70 not be better at this stage?
For the same reason some people still use a K-10D?
Closed Thread