Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
And there:
K-3 III Article Collection - PentaxForums.com

02-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I have not been able to tame AF on that 17-50.
I've tamed my Tamron, and finally fallen in love with it, by using it on a K-01.
02-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I've tamed my Tamron, and finally fallen in love with it, by using it on a K-01.
Yes, live view cures many AF ills. I should have specified tamed in terms of viewfinder AF.
02-21-2021, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #349
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I realize now that I had the possibility of upgrading the ‘sensor’ in those film bodies, so now I think of a digital body as a computer with a five year lifetime
My desktop computer is ten years old and my laptop is 13 years old. It is hard to determine a piece of electronics. I've had two cameras, a Pentax K-5 and an Olympus E-M5, give out after a little more than four years. I have a K200D that still works after more than twelve years. Electronic equipment is a bit of crap-shoot. It can give out at any time, but can keep going for years and years. I plan on using my KP for as long as it lasts, whether that's four years or fourteen years. Same with my K-1. These cameras have all the features I need and, since there's been little improvement in imaging quality from sensors over the last ten years, I'm not expecting any improvement in the future.

02-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
My desktop computer is ten years old and my laptop is 13 years old. It is hard to determine a piece of electronics. I've had two cameras, a Pentax K-5 and an Olympus E-M5, give out after a little more than four years. I have a K200D that still works after more than twelve years. Electronic equipment is a bit of crap-shoot. It can give out at any time, but can keep going for years and years. I plan on using my KP for as long as it lasts, whether that's four years or fourteen years. Same with my K-1. These cameras have all the features I need and, since there's been little improvement in imaging quality from sensors over the last ten years, I'm not expecting any improvement in the future.
I feel you.. .I cannot quite understand the 'top-notch' movement TBH.. I also own a 10-year-old laptop, if it does the work, I'm perfectly fine. An investment should be strongly justified, unfortunately not so many can do this. An upgrade from APS-C to FF is ok, but an upgrade of 2Mp and 3fps is hardly reasonable.
02-21-2021, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
Yes I'm one of the people that want a flipping screen but your correct the design is baked in to late to change. THEY NEED A NEW CAMERA TO BE RELEASED SOON.
There is going to be a camera to be released soon: K3 III
02-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

A couple of weeks ago there was some scuttlebutt around severe shortages in microchips being to blame.

Even auto production for some models is being curtailed due to this.

02-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I feel you.. .I cannot quite understand the 'top-notch' movement TBH.. I also own a 10-year-old laptop, if it does the work, I'm perfectly fine. An investment should be strongly justified, unfortunately not so many can do this. An upgrade from APS-C to FF is ok, but an upgrade of 2Mp and 3fps is hardly reasonable.
I don't think anyone here cares about the 2Mp, and probably only a few care about faster frame rates. However I do think there have been some other improvements in technology since the K-3, and more importantly other technologies like AF, so an upgrade could be justified for many people. I upgraded my then-nine-year-old laptop two years ago and it's been a huge improvement, and lets me do things that wouldn't have been practical with my old one. But I might have not felt that way if my old laptop had been the very-highest-end laptop of its day. The K-3/K-3ii weren't exactly on the bleeding edge at the time they were introduced, so just as with my laptop I think an upgrade would have a significant impact.
02-21-2021, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
An upgrade from APS-C to FF is ok, but an upgrade of 2Mp and 3fps is hardly reasonable.
Is that true, though?
I guess you're comparing with the K-3 and not with the K-70; because the K-3 III has double the fps of the K-70. Even so, 12-8 is 4 and not 3...
However, what might matter more is the speed with AF-C, and here there's that Japanese magazine which measured 11 fps... with the DA* 50-135. Can the K-3 do half of that?

Doubling the performance, and a much improved image quality (because the K-3 isn't as good as the newer generation), I'd say that makes for a good upgrade.

And we barely started the list of improvements...
02-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
That's not the best of news, but not totally unexpected. Canon is reportedly delaying a planned camera release for similar supply issues (also intended for reveal at CP+).
After 50 years as a dedicated Pentax user, I switched from Pentax to Canon-RF in July 2020, just after I heard about them.

I ordered lots of stuff.

I was hopping mad that my pre-ordered R5 took MONTHS to arrive.
So did my 100-500mm lens.
And my 1.4x and 2x extenders,
But I had them all well before the end of 2020.

I'm still waiting for a battery grip for my R5.
(My R battery grip came quickly)
And I'm waiting for a lens-hood for one of my 8 RF lenses.

(Most of my 8 Canon RF lenses arrived quickly. As did a 3rd-party TTArtisans RF FishEye lens).

This is how I see current problems with Canon supply. It can sometimes take MONTHS for products to arrive.

But not YEARS!
02-21-2021, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
It can sometimes take MONTHS for products to arrive.
But not YEARS!
What exactly do you mean?

I was curious about the situation at canon and checked the current situation with the wildlife suitable EOS7D.

The EOS 7D Mark II, which had been announced for first half of 2018 and not yet available?
Canon EOS 7D Mark III Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2] | Canon Rumors - Your best source for Canon rumors, leaks and gossip
EOS 7D Mark III Coming in March 2018 [CR1] | Canon Rumors - Your best source for Canon rumors, leaks and gossip
We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018 | Canon Rumors - Your best source for Canon rumors, leaks and gossip

In Comparision, Pentax did show the K-New Mockup in November 2019, published most K-3 III specs in October 2020 and we'll see what happens at CP+ on 25th of February 2021.
Canons APS-C Flaghip 7D II is from 2014, K-3 II from 2015. K-3 II is newer and get's an successor while the 7D II don't.

I want to show that bigger companies than Pentax/Ricoh also can let their cameras without successor. This shouldn't be a pro Canon/Pentax disc. K-3 and 7D are in the same league, so an comparision can be interesting.
Template:Canon EOS digital cameras - Wikipedia
Template:Pentax digital interchangeable lens cameras - Wikipedia

Last edited by angerdan; 02-21-2021 at 04:31 PM.
02-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
What exactly do you mean?

I was curius about the situation at canon and checked the current situation with the wildlife suitable EOS7D.

The EOS 7D Mark II, which had been announced for first half of 2018 and not yet available?
Canon EOS 7D Mark III Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2] | Canon Rumors - Your best source for Canon rumors, leaks and gossip
EOS 7D Mark III Coming in March 2018 [CR1] | Canon Rumors - Your best source for Canon rumors, leaks and gossip
We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018 | Canon Rumors - Your best source for Canon rumors, leaks and gossip

In Comparision, Pentax did show the K-New Mockup in November 2019, published most K-3 III specs in October 2020 and we'll see what happens at CP+ on 25th of February 2021.
Canons APS-C Flaghip 7D II is from 2014, K-3 II from 2015. K-3 II is newer and get's an successor while the 7D II don't.

I want to show that bigger companies than Pentax/Ricoh also can let their cameras without successor. This shouldn't be a pro Canon/Pentax disc. K-3 and 7D are in the same league, so an comparision can be interesting.
Template:Canon EOS digital cameras - Wikipedia
Template:Pentax digital interchangeable lens cameras - Wikipedia
Canon decided it had too many SLR camera lines. So the 90D was supposed to be the replacement for both the 80D and the 7D Mk II. Don't like it, buy an R whatever...Oh and by the way, we abandoned developing EOS lenses too.
02-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #358
Pentaxian

This is how I see current problems with Canon supply. It can sometimes take MONTHS for products to arrive.But not YEARS!
We should distinguish supply chain delays and product development delays. Both can be a problem for professionals but not really for hobby photographers, depending on what they expect.

I see Pentax as a brand for hobby photographers who don't rely on a specific piece of equipment to do a job. And for hobby photographers who finance their cameras/lenses with pocket money, it's even better when additional camera/lens models come slowly, that's what Pentax business rely onto, so we also end-up having fancy lenses that we don't actually need. For professionals, Canon have to provide a complete system rather quick + manage third parties like post processing software and flash accessories, to avoid the risk of poor adoption of the system. Pentax isn't following that model, they make one more lens every other year that they market as a special item and people buy it for the pleasure of owning something special (such as a limited prime lens or a camera with pixel-shift that most professional would never rely on for commercial activities).

---------- Post added 21-02-21 at 21:58 ----------

I also have 8 lenses, but I sincerely hope that I'll have less than half of that in the future, I'm having some buyer remorse, all these expensive lenses for taking photographs I feel like wasting resources. If I have 8 lenses, it means I'm not so clear about my photographic project. And at the same time we live only once.., so why not buy what we like.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-21-2021 at 02:33 PM.
02-21-2021, 02:27 PM - 4 Likes   #359
Pentaxian

After 50 years as a dedicated Pentax user, I switched from Pentax to Canon-RF in July 2020, just after I heard about them.

I ordered lots of stuff.

I was hopping mad that my pre-ordered R5 took MONTHS to arrive.
So did my 100-500mm lens.
And my 1.4x and 2x extenders,
But I had them all well before the end of 2020.

I'm still waiting for a battery grip for my R5.
(My R battery grip came quickly)

(Most of my 8 Canon RF lenses arrived quickly. As did a 3rd-party TTArtisans RF FishEye lens).

This is how I see current problems with Canon supply. It can sometimes take MONTHS for products to arrive.

But not YEARS!
Good luck with your purchase. Hope it will serve you well!

However it is still a bit apples to oranges comparison still, and a bit unfair. But you know that, as this might be the reason for you to switch. After all Canon is Canon, which is one of biggest camera company out there.

I'm quite confident to say that your 'jump' to full system of canon might not have much to do about K3III delay. While I understand your point, some how this seems out of nowhere rant about shortcomings of delays. Sure it is a pain in the neck, and we all handle that very differently. But still... regrdless, have fun with your new gear!
02-21-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
However it is still a bit apples to oranges comparison still, and a bit unfair.
humm, I think Canon is more about milking than apples and oranges. I mean, milking the money of customers by offering a broad range of products, so there is virtually no limit how much you can spend on such brand.
Closed Thread