Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2021, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #376
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I was plenty irritated by Canon when they no longer produced bodies (or lenses) compatible with my FD equipment.

Having said that, a generation before Pentax provided only fairly clunky compatibility for M42 lenses on its newer bodies. Yes, I could use older lenses on newer bodies in manual mode via a glassless adapter. So, more interoperability than Canon provided in FD terms, but less compatibility than Canon has now provided in EOS terms. And Pentax "quietly" ceased production of M42 lenses, "thereby forcing migration", as you say. So I'm seeing Canon as behaving less badly in this case.
Pentax at least kept the flange focal length the same so the glassless adaptors were all that was needed. I was more ok with the M42 adaptor than the next to zero compatability between FD and EF, or the problems Nikon made with their mount incompatibilities.

02-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #377

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I feel you.. .I cannot quite understand the 'top-notch' movement TBH.. I also own a 10-year-old laptop, if it does the work, I'm perfectly fine. An investment should be strongly justified, unfortunately not so many can do this. An upgrade from APS-C to FF is ok, but an upgrade of 2Mp and 3fps is hardly reasonable.
I would beg to differ, regarding laptops the difference between a 10 year old I-7 with a maximum memory of 8 gigabytes & a new 9th generation I-7 that can handle up to 32 gigabytes is substantial especially for photographic applications.

Regarding the upgrade of 2 Mp & 4 fps it may be a modest upgrade in that regard, but its a more modern sensor & being BSI should be a noticeable improvement over the 24 megapixel sensors previously used for Pentax cameras.

Last edited by BryantCP; 02-22-2021 at 06:36 AM.
02-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #378
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yet even that amazing lens line doesn't have a modern 50mm f/1.4, and will never have one.
Don't hold your breathe on that one!
02-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pentax at least kept the flange focal length the same so the glassless adaptors were all that was needed. I was more ok with the M42 adaptor than the next to zero compatability between FD and EF, or the problems Nikon made with their mount incompatibilities.
That was my point, but it's only reasonable to complain about FD/EOS compatibility as being worse than M42/K. EOS to EOS/R has seemed to be a more favorable transition for consumers, retaining more lens functionality/automation than the Pentax transition did, also with no glass required. Similarly Nikon's F to Z transition also provides more functionality than the M42/K transition. Nikon has done some similar things with newer lenses that Pentax has done with KAF4 - making them effectively incompatible with otherwise still-usable bodies. So at this point I don't see Pentax as a standout in terms of compatibility.

02-21-2021, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #380
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Eh, everyone and everything makes errors.
A human won't make that error, unless they're blind and can't see that the dog is slowing down.

That's algorithms for you.

I have shot with a D5, which is the same focusing system as the D500, and thought 'meh' of the whole experience.

I did not turn on 3D prediction, though.

Glad I didn't. The full sequence (forget where on the web I did that screengrab from) was erratic, the focus point leaping out into the grass at the front again and again. No thank you!

Last edited by clackers; 02-21-2021 at 11:28 PM.
02-21-2021, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #381
Loyal Site Supporter

That was my point, but it's only reasonable to complain about FD/EOS compatibility as being worse than M42/K. EOS to EOS/R has seemed to be a more favorable transition for consumers, retaining more lens functionality/automation than the Pentax transition did, also with no glass required. Similarly Nikon's F to Z transition also provides more functionality than the M42/K transition. Nikon has done some similar things with newer lenses that Pentax has done with KAF4 - making them effectively incompatible with otherwise still-usable bodies. So at this point I don't see Pentax as a standout in terms of compatibility.
You can use 60 years worth of lenses on a Pentax DSLR. You can’t say the same thing about Canon, at least not EF. I expect the short registration distance of the new mount will allow mounting of FD lenses presuming an adapter is available. I’m not sure about Nikon.
I’m not sure how valid it is to compare 1970s tech solutions to those from 2020 anyway.
02-21-2021, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #382
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't read all 26 pages so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but on the topic of price, perhaps it's best to wait until we get some more concrete evidence of a possible price. Right now the evidence that the "price will be ¥250,000 to ¥299,000" is as wobbly as a tower of Jello. If we go by the current K-1 II pricing, the US price should be approximately 81% of the Japanese price.

K-1 II prices:
US: $1,999.95 (¥211,320.72)
JP: ¥258,500 ($2,446.56)

When divided, the difference between the US and Japan price is ~81.745%. [I]IF[/] the JP price of the K-3 III is ¥250,000 ($2366.01), then, if the difference in US and Japanese prices of the K-1II holds true for the K-3III, the US price of the K-3III could be approximately $1,934.10. Seems fine and not overly priced to me. If it comes in at ¥200,000, then the US price could even be $1,547! Even better. Either way, it seems like an incredible machine for the price.

There. Better? Have I reconciled everyone's differences? No? Well then how about we just wait and judge it when the actual prices comes to light before shooting it down before we even know of an official publicly announced concrete estimate from Ricoh themselves.

02-22-2021, 01:17 AM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I haven't read all 26 pages so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but on the topic of price, perhaps it's best to wait until we get some more concrete evidence of a possible price. Right now the evidence that the "price will be ¥250,000 to ¥299,000" is as wobbly as a tower of Jello. If we go by the current K-1 II pricing, the US price should be approximately 81% of the Japanese price.

K-1 II prices:
US: $1,999.95 (¥211,320.72)
JP: ¥258,500 ($2,446.56)

When divided, the difference between the US and Japan price is ~81.745%. [I]IF[/] the JP price of the K-3 III is ¥250,000 ($2366.01), then, if the difference in US and Japanese prices of the K-1II holds true for the K-3III, the US price of the K-3III could be approximately $1,934.10. Seems fine and not overly priced to me. If it comes in at ¥200,000, then the US price could even be $1,547! Even better. Either way, it seems like an incredible machine for the price.

There. Better? Have I reconciled everyone's differences? No? Well then how about we just wait and judge it when the actual prices comes to light before shooting it down before we even know of an official publicly announced concrete estimate from Ricoh themselves.
I made the same calculation somewhere else, people still get riled up by the theoretical, possible, perhaps-happening price
02-22-2021, 01:25 AM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I made the same calculation somewhere else, people still get riled up by the theoretical, possible, perhaps-happening price
As long as the price isn't above $2,500, I'll be buying it. If it is, I'll just be buying it a little bit later. I honestly don't understand the en masse rush to judge the camera based solely on a purely speculated projection.
02-22-2021, 02:10 AM - 4 Likes   #385
Pentaxian

Some new tweets by Tanaka on the K-3III:
https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1363773866825293841?s=19
"I recently found out about the PENTAX K-3 Mark III. The only parts it shares with the K-3/K-3 II are the mount, hot shoe and battery. I thought it was the same as the K-3 series because of the similarity of the model name and appearance, but I was told that it is completely different. https://t.co/faJlzcC2to"

https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1363773868977000450?s=19
"The K-3 Mark III took more time and effort to design and manufacture than the K-1, PENTAX's first full-frame digital camera, did from scratch. Even for a single-lens reflex camera that you're used to making, it's a challenge when you try to incorporate new elements and things. I guess that's the difficulty of cameras that use a lot of precision mechanisms."
02-22-2021, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #386
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Some new tweets by Tanaka on the K-3III:
https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1363773866825293841?s=19
"I recently found out about the PENTAX K-3 Mark III. The only parts it shares with the K-3/K-3 II are the mount, hot shoe and battery. I thought it was the same as the K-3 series because of the similarity of the model name and appearance, but I was told that it is completely different. https://t.co/faJlzcC2to"

https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1363773868977000450?s=19
"The K-3 Mark III took more time and effort to design and manufacture than the K-1, PENTAX's first full-frame digital camera, did from scratch. Even for a single-lens reflex camera that you're used to making, it's a challenge when you try to incorporate new elements and things. I guess that's the difficulty of cameras that use a lot of precision mechanisms."
And the third one:
https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1363779044030832642
'The K-3 Mark III doesn't have any amazing features or mechanisms, even though many people have had to wait and work hard to make a "different" camera. I'm sure some people will complain.
But I like the fact that it's a simple SLR camera made with a lot of hard work.
'
02-22-2021, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
And the third one:
https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1363779044030832642
'The K-3 Mark III doesn't have any amazing features or mechanisms, even though many people have had to wait and work hard to make a "different" camera. I'm sure some people will complain.
But I like the fact that it's a simple SLR camera made with a lot of hard work.
'
That's fine with me - I don't want "different", I want a nice to use, highly competent camera which will give me the performance I'm missing from the K-1.
02-22-2021, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #388
Pentaxian

I was plenty irritated by Canon when they no longer produced bodies (or lenses) compatible with my FD equipment.

Having said that, a generation before Pentax provided only fairly clunky compatibility for M42 lenses on its newer bodies. Yes, I could use older lenses on newer bodies in manual mode via a glassless adapter. So, more interoperability than Canon provided in FD terms, but less compatibility than Canon has now provided in EOS terms. And Pentax "quietly" ceased production of M42 lenses, "thereby forcing migration", as you say. So I'm seeing Canon as behaving less badly in this case.
What functionality did you lose from your M42 lenses on K body compared to M42 lens on M42 body ?
What did an FD lens lose functionality on an EOS body ?

Not comparable AT ALL. IMO.
02-22-2021, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #389
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This statement is truly disingenuous.

The extra 2 megapixels are in themselves irrelevant, as 24 are already plenty for an APS-C sensor. What we are getting though, is a BSI chip with better image quality, coupled with the latest generation accelerator for improved noise across the ISO range. And it's capable of 4K video.

The extra (four, not three) frames per second is a 50% improvement over the K-3. I'd say that is quite reasonable. Coupled with the greatly improved autofocus we should have a far more capable action camera.

I'd almost rather read complaints about the lack of a flippy screen, than misrepresentations of what are in fact significant improvements.
It isn't disingenuous if that's the only relevant change for him. Each to his own.
But you're right.

I think what he meant was that, when you upgrade each time (at least beofre the K3II K3III gap), you didn't get all that much (at least what's relevant to him). I can get that.
I didn't upgrade after K5 either. It doesn't mean there was nothing new, it just means *to me* the changes didn't warrant a quick change to new body right when it came out.
He phrased it a bit provocatively though
02-22-2021, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's fine with me - I don't want "different", I want a nice to use, highly competent camera which will give me the performance I'm missing from the K-1.
True. I would also like nice and simple camera that is precise and works smoothly. I mean - not so long ago we were doing great images with completely analog camera, with TTL being only "advanced" thing in it, with three dials (shutter speed, ASA, aperture on lens) and everyone was happy doing pictures and developing then post fact, hoping we shot them right. Sure, digital sensor requires more settings but I think lot of cameras are like smartphones - over engineered, to many things just for sake of having them.
Closed Thread