Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If the HD FAs are the multiple products OoKU was hinting at... I'm disappointed.
No new product (so far), no new product in development besides what we already knew...
That is exactly what I was expecting from the moment of his post.

02-26-2021, 01:50 AM   #482
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Until this post, I was hoping for an announcement today.

I am happy with my KP - but I am sorry that others of you have to wait somewhat longer.
I do not know about others, but I (and I will buy K-3/3 ASAP) could wait. Month this or that way is not a problem. But the lack of information about when it will be released is irritating.
02-26-2021, 02:39 AM - 3 Likes   #483
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong; I like new stuff.

But why do people feel that we *need* new stuff?

Why do we get banged up when we don't get new stuff we (erroneously) think we deserve?
02-26-2021, 03:07 AM   #484
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the HD FAs are the multiple products OoKU was hinting at... I'm disappointed.No new product (so far), no new product in development besides what we already knew...
That's because you unconsciously bought into the philosophy of what mainstream camera brands are striving on: frequent releases over quick obsolescence of electronic/computing technologies.
The spirit of the Pentax brand distinguishes itself from other brands (Leica and Zeiss excepted), as genuine photographic continuity with long time tradition back into the roots of the film era.
Maybe , you'll switch to another brand in the next coming years, they will provide you will frequent product changes, may include changing lens mounts as well.

02-26-2021, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's because you unconsciously bought into the philosophy of what mainstream camera brands are striving on: frequent releases over quick obsolescence of electronic/computing technologies.
The spirit of the Pentax brand distinguishes itself from other brands (Leica and Zeiss excepted), as genuine photographic continuity with long time tradition back into the roots of the film era.
Maybe , you'll switch to another brand in the next coming years, they will provide you will frequent product changes, may include changing lens mounts as well.
No, I don't think I did.
I think I would have been happy with words on the D FA 21mm's launch, some lens from the roadmap presented "under glass", and a new lens on the roadmap.
But I don't consider the HD FA Limiteds "new products"; they're old products updated, so naturally I expected more.
02-26-2021, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #486
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But why do people feel that we *need* new stuff?
Subconsciously programmed, educated, to be a consumer animal.

---------- Post added 26-02-21 at 11:35 ----------

I think I would have been happy with words on the D FA 21mm's launch, some lens from the roadmap presented "under glass", and a new lens on the roadmap.
That's not in their plans. The attention/communication slot was taken for the HD FA limited. Communication must remain simple to have an impact, too many messages dilute the effect, so they keep it simple, one product line at a time. They didn't decide to make HD FA limited last month, this is something they've been planning for sometime like a year or more. Vietnam plant has been working on lens elements and the machining of aluminium bodies, and the coating, and the assembly, more than 6 months ago, otherwise, how do you think Ricoh would be having those new HD limited lenses in retail stores in the coming weeks? D-FA21 is probably being worked on currently, and they'll promote it later. What should be understood is that Pentax have a mix of old traditional customers (especially in Japan) who has an emotional attachment to the Pentax tradition, and younger photographers who are looking at top-noch ultra-corrected big glass like the new D-FA zooms, the D-FA*50 and the D-FA*85. So what do Ricoh do? Well, they alternate between the top-notch heavy expensive glass and the "vintage" glass, so that to satisfy their two types of customers. In Japan, there are a lot of old time Pentax customers who have a collection of vintage Pentax lenses and have no intention to even use computers for their photography, some guy convert their raws in camera and print directly, they rely on Pentax styles and traditional lens rendering, it's old school, but it's a significant market for Pentax.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-26-2021 at 03:43 AM.
02-26-2021, 03:37 AM   #487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the HD FAs are the multiple products OoKU was hinting at... I'm disappointed.
No new product (so far), no new product in development besides what we already knew...
It sounds like the DA *16-50 PLM will be coming out this year, the question is when. It isn't really going to be that helpful for K-1 shooters, but it should pair really nicely with the K-3 III, which is what this thread is about. I would be surprised if the DFA 21 is ready by the end of the year too, but it was probably too soon to have it out now.

I guess I'm really looking forward to what improvements they can stuff in the K-1 III that will be released a year from now. Based on the K-3 III model, it could be a major step forward.

02-26-2021, 03:43 AM   #488
Pentaxian

Subconsciously programmed, educated, to be a consumer animal.

---------- Post added 26-02-21 at 11:35 ----------

That's not in their plans. The attention/communication slot was taken for the HD FA limited. Communication must remain simple to have an impact, too many messages dilute the effect, so they keep it simple, one product line at a time. They didn't decide to make HD FA limited last month, this is something they've been planning for sometime like a year or more. Vietnam plant has been working on lens elements and the machining of aluminium bodies, and the coating, and the assembly, more than 6 months ago, otherwise, how do you think Ricoh would be having those new HD limited lenses in retail stores in the coming weeks? D-FA21 is probably being worked on currently, and they'll promote it later.
That's very true- from my own experience, all machining and assembly runs, are pre-planed and prepared for at least 6 months before the actual batch production proces beginning. Sole production and assembly run is probably the shortest phase of all stuff that goes around when we consider Concept-R&D-Final on the shelf product cycle.
02-26-2021, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #489
Pentaxian

This is a little condescending.

For a past few years, Ricoh has been bringing something genuinely new to the CP+ show. 2017 had the fat fifty. 2018 had 11-18. 2019 had 85/1.4. 2020 had 16-50/2.8 and 21mm limited.

2021 has nothing like that.
02-26-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #490
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote

For a past few years, Ricoh has been bringing something genuinely new to the CP+ show. 2017 had the fat fifty. 2018 had 11-18. 2019 had 85/1.4. 2020 had 16-50/2.8 and 21mm limited.

2021 has nothing like that.
Date it back a year before- then this year releases are prepared in 2020. And 2020 had COVID19 situation that changed everything.
02-26-2021, 03:53 AM   #491
Pentaxian

If so, it wasn't my intention. Anyway, if you buy a Sony camera you basically buy a computer. If you buy a Leica or Hasselblad camera you buy a camera and a look (how the images of pre-processed and processed).
My opinion on the matter is that if you'd have Leica and Hasselblad, and Sony image printed in an exhibition, the public will have a preference for the Leica/Hassy image, even if the Sony gear is technically superior in terms of speed and resolution, Sony image processing has no taste. These brands have diametrically opposed ideas of what a camera should do. Pentax is closer to Leica and Hassy than it is to Sony, both in terms of image rendering , product styles and product life cycles. If I was given the choice of getting a Leica kit or Sony A1 kit, I'll take the Leica anytime, just because the 30 frames per seconds of the A1 doesn't excite me at all. Give me an old Leica kit and I'll be inspired to go out shooting just because of the Leica kit and the images it produces.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-26-2021 at 04:01 AM.
02-26-2021, 04:11 AM   #492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Date it back a year before- then this year releases are prepared in 2020. And 2020 had COVID19 situation that changed everything.
I highly doubt that a lens that still has unknown max aperture is set to be released this year.

As for Covid, we can't blame literally everything on it. Manufacturing is delayed, fine, but design stage shouldn't be impacted in a major way.
02-26-2021, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I highly doubt that a lens that still has unknown max aperture is set to be released this year..
I'm pretty certain that the max aperture is known among those who designed the lens....
02-26-2021, 04:26 AM   #494
Pentaxian

Why is it kept secret like atomic bomb codes then?
02-26-2021, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #495
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Only showing re-coated decades old lenses is not a good thing. The re-coating and contined production of FA limiteds is in itself great but I'm sure a huge let down for the Pentax staff that it's the only thing they can show.

I agree that Pentax, Leica and Zeiss seem to work at a similar slow pace but for Pentax it's an issue imho. Without release dates for the new apsc lens and the DFA21 it's really taking to long. I understand the reluctance to put forward dates at the moment but more info would be welcome.

By the way Ricoh having factories in Vietnam should put them in an excellent position. They have handled covid extremely well as far as I understand.
Closed Thread